SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 04-27-2015, 05:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

Bye Bye YouTube?

The first YouTube video in my Most Viewed list seems to be an official message that my device, SageTV presumably, is not going to be supported. Sad to see it go.

This is the video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UKY3scPIMd8
STV 9.1.5.683 / Vista Premium / Compaq Presario SR-5550F / AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400 / nvidia GeForce 8400GS / 3 GB DDR2 / 500 GB SATA / 1 TB SATA / M2N68-LA Motherboard / Hauppauge HVR-1250 / Hauppauge HVR-1600 / 2 x STX-HD100 / OTA / Channel Master FLATenna 35

Last edited by EdwardATeller; 04-27-2015 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:52 AM
SageTVaholic

The v3 Youtube API doesn't look to heavy, and it's use of json is actually very compatible with sage - so that's good. Hopefully someone takes the time to look at this. Youtube integration is almost completely in the UI, so it is completely editable now via plugins, so it's not like this is even something that needs to wait until open sourcing.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 04-28-2015, 06:22 AM
Administrator

The problem is: the last time I looked at YouTube, the ID number to get to the video was encoded and that encoding changed regularly, making it nonfeasible to keep updated in the UI. I don't know if their latest update actually made it worse or improved the chances of getting it to work again, though I would guess on the side of 'now it is harder'.

Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:25 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
The problem is: the last time I looked at YouTube, the ID number to get to the video was encoded and that encoding changed regularly, making it nonfeasible to keep updated in the UI. I don't know if their latest update actually made it worse or improved the chances of getting it to work again, though I would guess on the side of 'now it is harder'.

Andy
That's what I was thinking too. IMHO online video and YouTube are the hardest things I've dealt with in the STV.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:02 PM
SageTVaholic

If only we knew someone here in the Sage forum that could navigate the mind of the company that owned this service ...
Old 04-28-2015, 10:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
If only we knew someone here in the Sage forum that could navigate the mind of the company that owned this service ...
That's kind of mind googling, huh?
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Old 04-29-2015, 06:56 AM
Sage Expert

I use SageTV for my primary viewing but I also have an Android box running Kodi. I can't tell you how often I switch inputs to Kodi just to send a Youtube video from my phone to the TV then switch back to Sage afterwards.

It would be killer if a similar mechanism would be developed for passing the Youtube url to a player on Sage . Perhaps this will come once folks start digging into the code.
Sage Mini Client on Amazon Fire Sticks and Android TVs
Old 04-29-2015, 08:02 AM
SageTVaholic

That's not something that's even in the code, that can be done now completely in the UI framework, which has been wide open since SageTV v4.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:52 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinki View Post
I use SageTV for my primary viewing but I also have an Android box running Kodi. I can't tell you how often I switch inputs to Kodi just to send a Youtube video from my phone to the TV then switch back to Sage afterwards.

It would be killer if a similar mechanism would be developed for passing the Youtube url to a player on Sage . Perhaps this will come once folks start digging into the code.
If you have Playon then you can set a PlayMark for YouTube videos within your browser (not sure if it works on phones/tabs, but it does work on computers) which then shows up in your PlayOn/PlayMark folder in the PlayOn SageTV menu. I just watched a couple movie trailers on SageTV to test it out.

It could definitely be easier, I wonder if PlayOn has an API that would allow you to set PlayMarks within your own code?
Old 05-01-2015, 01:25 AM
SageTVaholic

There is some sort of interface available, though I'm not sure it's documented. It is what PlayPass uses to queue up recordings for PlayLater.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

Aside from Youtube, there is so much nonfunctional stuff under Online that I have half a mind to edit it out.
ASRock B450M Pro4 AM4 MB, Ryzen 5 2600 3.4ghz, Crucial Ballistix Gaming 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200, EVGA GT 1030SC, WD Black NVMe SSD 250GB, 1x WD120EFAX 12TB, 1x WD80EFAX 8TB, 1x WDBH2D0040HNC 4TB, USB-UIRT, Colossus 2, WinTV-DualHD USB, Windows 11 64bit
Old 05-12-2015, 09:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

My YouTube is completely gone. Is everyone else in the same boat?
STV 9.1.5.683 / Vista Premium / Compaq Presario SR-5550F / AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400 / nvidia GeForce 8400GS / 3 GB DDR2 / 500 GB SATA / 1 TB SATA / M2N68-LA Motherboard / Hauppauge HVR-1250 / Hauppauge HVR-1600 / 2 x STX-HD100 / OTA / Channel Master FLATenna 35
Old 05-13-2015, 07:18 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardATeller View Post
My YouTube is completely gone. Is everyone else in the same boat?
Yes, my YouTube is completely disabled.
ASRock B450M Pro4 AM4 MB, Ryzen 5 2600 3.4ghz, Crucial Ballistix Gaming 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200, EVGA GT 1030SC, WD Black NVMe SSD 250GB, 1x WD120EFAX 12TB, 1x WD80EFAX 8TB, 1x WDBH2D0040HNC 4TB, USB-UIRT, Colossus 2, WinTV-DualHD USB, Windows 11 64bit
Old 05-14-2015, 08:49 AM
Sage Expert

I just updated a YouTube addon I wrote (in PHP) for use with the ocPortal CMS and I can say that the move from the YouTube API v2 to YouTube API v3 isn't a trivial one. The API calls are radically different, they return different results in a different structure, a YouTube API Key is needed, and they now have a more complex quota system to limit the amount of calls per second that can be sent and amount of data that can be gathered per day by each API Key. Killing the v2 API completely looks like nothing more than a money-grab by Google. They want to monetize the API by selling higher quota limits to popular apps (i.e. smart TVs/Roku/media players/phone apps/tablet apps/etc.). It was a pretty ingenious plan...get hardware makers and app developers to broadly implement YouTube content, get everybody hooked on it, and then put these hardware makers and app developers in a position where they either have to take away the YouTube content from their customers or pay Google to let them keep it. Touché, Google.

That doesn't mean it won't work in SageTV. The STV can be updated, but it will require more than a little tweak here and little tweak there.

Server Hardware: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R, Intel Q9550 CPU 2.83GHz, 11GB RAM, 1xHDHR, 1xHVR1600, 1xHVR2250
29TB Server Storage: 1TB SSD (OS), 1TB (data), 2x6TB+2x10TB (22TB FlexRaid storage pool), 2x2TB (recordings), 1x750GB (VMs).
Server Software: Win10 Pro x64 OS, SageTV 64bit v9.2.0.441, Java 1.8 u241, PlayOn, Comskip (Donator) v0.82.003, WampServer v2.5.
Clients: 3xHD300s, 2xHD100, 2xPlaceshifters
Old 06-04-2015, 12:59 PM
SageTVaholic

I miss the YouTube functionality and have been looking into ways to make it work again. One of the things I've stumbled across will work, but it will not work for progressive playback. What this means is that the video will have to be downloaded before it can be played.

Is anybody interested in this or is the lack of progressive playback a show stopper?

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

Having to wait for the file to download is certainly better than not working at all so I say bring it on.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

Have you tried using Boolah's fix in this thread? It is working well for me. It doesn't allow one to search for videos, but it is helpful if there are youtube channels to which you subscribe.

I would be interested in seeing the search functionality returned.
Old 06-04-2015, 06:54 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
I miss the YouTube functionality and have been looking into ways to make it work again. One of the things I've stumbled across will work, but it will not work for progressive playback. What this means is that the video will have to be downloaded before it can be played.

Is anybody interested in this or is the lack of progressive playback a show stopper?
Definitely interested as well as I also miss YouTube in SageTV.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob23 View Post
Have you tried using Boolah's fix in this thread? It is working well for me. It doesn't allow one to search for videos, but it is helpful if there are youtube channels to which you subscribe.

I would be interested in seeing the search functionality returned.
Yes, I've looked at that and it's very cool. The way he's implemented this is very impressive

I'm more interested in a more comprehensive rewrite of the YouTube menu to make it function more like the actual YouTube website where you can search for videos, subscribe to channels, etc. I've found a nice little third party program that makes downloading the videos very easy so I may add that in as well. Right now this is all just rumbling around in my head. I've done some proof of concept code to see what's possible and what isn't. I'm also currently consulting with the best YouTube experts I know (my kids) to determine how most people use YouTube

Tags
youtube