SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Linux Discussion related to the SageTV Media Center for Linux. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Linux should be posted here.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:38 AM
SageTVaholic

unRAID 6.2 is looking really nice, but some of those changes are a bit scary, I think I'll be holding off a while.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:49 AM
SageTVaholic

I stopped using Unraid back when it was transitioning to version 5 for a lot of the reasons 6.2 is so appealing to me (64-bit, docker, KVM, RAID1 cache drive, dual parity). Adding features other than very simple things was just too much work. This got me looking again.

I might be going back to Unraid once Gemstone 2 becomes available. I'm planning a transition to a headless Linux SageTV server around that release.

One comment on docker running in host mode. Is it actually necessary to specify ports when you do that? One of my containers is in host mode, pretty much any port I want is accessible and I did not need to map anything. Another caveat that some people might not be aware of is if you have VM's running on the same box, they may not be able to communicate with containers in bridge mode.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 03-25-2016, 02:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
One comment on docker running in host mode. Is it actually necessary to specify ports when you do that? One of my containers is in host mode, pretty much any port I want is accessible and I did not need to map anything. Another caveat that some people might not be aware of is if you have VM's running on the same box, they may not be able to communicate with containers in bridge mode.
It sounds like it's not necessary with Host mode, but I don't know for sure, ever Docker I've tried on unRAID has been configured in bridge mode with ports defined.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
It sounds like it's not necessary with Host mode, but I don't know for sure, ever Docker I've tried on unRAID has been configured in bridge mode with ports defined.
I have some that are in bridge mode and those have to have the ports specified.

Dockers in host mode don't have that limitation.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:07 AM
SageTVaholic

Next weekend, I'm planning on migrating my entire server to an UNRAID server and use Docker for SageTV, Plex, and a few other things. UNRAID seems pretty impressive all around. I have 2 HDPVRs running on Linux today, so this should hopefully be fairly smooth.

I was playing around, locally, with Docker, and getting sagetv running in it, and one thing that I noticed was that when my sagetv was running a docker container, it's server IP was something like, 10.x.x.x, and my local network was 192.168.1.x. When I connected a client, sagetv gave me the placeshifter login screen

So, I have 2 issues...
1. SageTV things my local network clients are actuall connecting remotely
2. SageTV discovery doesn't work.

Just wondering if anyone else is running under UNRAID and if so, if they've overcome these issues.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:23 AM
SageTVaholic

I've not had that issue, my Dockers always get a "correct" IP. How are you playing around with Docker? Do you have it running in a VM? I think that does some weird things, adds an extra layer of network mapping that's not there in unRAID.

Have you tried getting the HDPVRs to work on unRAID? You might want to try that. My understanding is that any drivers a docker needs need to be installed on the host, unless they're like HDHRs which can be compiled into the app.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:07 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I've not had that issue, my Dockers always get a "correct" IP. How are you playing around with Docker? Do you have it running in a VM? I think that does some weird things, adds an extra layer of network mapping that's not there in unRAID.

Have you tried getting the HDPVRs to work on unRAID? You might want to try that. My understanding is that any drivers a docker needs need to be installed on the host, unless they're like HDHRs which can be compiled into the app.
I don't know what kernel the docker images are usings, but, I haven't added anything special to linux on my server to get HDPVRs working... I just plug them in, and they work.

As for the playing around... I'm just runing docker under ubuntu linux.

EDIT: I haven't tried HDPVR under UNRAID... but I'm hoping it works... if not, then I guess I'm not using UNRAID

Last edited by stuckless; 04-11-2016 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
I don't know what kernel the docker images are usings, but, I haven't added anything special to linux on my server to get HDPVRs working... I just plug them in, and they work.

As for the playing around... I'm just runing docker under ubuntu linux.

EDIT: I haven't tried HDPVR under UNRAID... but I'm hoping it works... if not, then I guess I'm not using UNRAID
Use the Media Build plugin for unRAID. That will install the drivers you need I believe - haven't tried it myself. I'm using VMs and the Windows version since there are no linux drivers for my AVerMedia Duet cards as far as I know. So I'm just going to make a network encoder out of my Windows VM for those and will likely do the same for the HDPVRs. Just pass through the entire USB controller to the VM for the HDPVRs. Then I don't need drivers in unRAID for them. My main SageTV server can then run in a docker or a linux VM. Still getting frequent Java Heap errors posted from the SageTV plugin on my Windows VMs.

Edit: found the plugin I was thinking of and it looks like it is only for DVB cards. Link: http://lime-technology.com/forum/ind...?topic=47899.0
So this wouldn't work for HDPVRs. But there are instructions for compiling your own unRAID version of the linux kernel with the appropriate drivers so you could do that every time they update unRAID and you want to update.

Last edited by BobPhoenix; 04-11-2016 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix View Post
Use the Media Build plugin for unRAID. That will install the drivers you need I believe - haven't tried it myself. I'm using VMs and the Windows version since there are no linux drivers for my AVerMedia Duet cards as far as I know. So I'm just going to make a network encoder out of my Windows VM for those and will likely do the same for the HDPVRs. Just pass through the entire USB controller to the VM for the HDPVRs. Then I don't need drivers in unRAID for them. My main SageTV server can then run in a docker or a linux VM. Still getting frequent Java Heap errors posted from the SageTV plugin on my Windows VMs.

Edit: found the plugin I was thinking of and it looks like it is only for DVB cards. Link: http://lime-technology.com/forum/ind...?topic=47899.0
So this wouldn't work for HDPVRs. But there are instructions for compiling your own unRAID version of the linux kernel with the appropriate drivers so you could do that every time they update unRAID and you want to update.
well, that's disappointing Not sure I want to be rebuilding the kernel with every update.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
well, that's disappointing Not sure I want to be rebuilding the kernel with every update.
Found the instructions for recompiling the kernel here http://lime-technology.com/wiki/inde...mpile_yourself It was specifically for v5 but CHBMB could let you know any differences for v6 if you decide to compile your own kernel.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
That was one of the things that eventually drove me nuts when I was using Unraid. It has everything you need already baked in until you want something that's not. It would be nice if it had a build tools package so you could compile and add kernel modules without needing to setup a separate dev environment.

At least you can now do device pass-through into a VM. I was playing with Unraid 6.2 the other day and for the first time, I had VT-d working stable without any fiddling. The VM part of the web interface could use more options, but at least you can just edit the underlying xml directly via the same interface.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 04-12-2016, 05:07 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix View Post
Found the instructions for recompiling the kernel here http://lime-technology.com/wiki/inde...mpile_yourself It was specifically for v5 but CHBMB could let you know any differences for v6 if you decide to compile your own kernel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
That was one of the things that eventually drove me nuts when I was using Unraid. It has everything you need already baked in until you want something that's not. It would be nice if it had a build tools package so you could compile and add kernel modules without needing to setup a separate dev environment.

At least you can now do device pass-through into a VM. I was playing with Unraid 6.2 the other day and for the first time, I had VT-d working stable without any fiddling. The VM part of the web interface could use more options, but at least you can just edit the underlying xml directly via the same interface.
There might be hope. In this thread the guy states that the "media build" kernel has support for HDPVR.
https://lime-technology.com/forum/in...?topic=45320.0

I just need to figure out what that kernel is
Old 04-12-2016, 10:00 AM
Sage Icon

Just wanted to note my support for this project.

I run Unraid on an old "clunker" machine, which runs fine for file serving needs in my house. However, I'd gladly upgrade that rig if I means that I can collapse my Sage server into it as well.

Looking forward to see what comes out of this.

thanks
matt
Old 04-12-2016, 10:04 AM
SageTVaholic

I've got Sage running in a Windows 7 KVM on my unRAID server. Of course I only use HDHRs so that's easier.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
There might be hope. In this thread the guy states that the "media build" kernel has support for HDPVR.
https://lime-technology.com/forum/in...?topic=45320.0

I just need to figure out what that kernel is
Media Build is here http://lime-technology.com/forum/ind...?topic=40705.0 but as you can see he has it depreciated but there is a plugin now here http://lime-technology.com/forum/ind...?topic=47899.0 so maybe that will work?
Old 04-19-2016, 07:49 PM
SageTVaholic

AFAIK Unraid is pretty good about integrating driver requests. That's usually for network and storage hardware, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

As for docker IP mine are all the same IP as the host box, but use different ports. I'll look into the sage docker and consider using network encoders, but there are some aspects of my windows sage install that I don't know how to recreate with Linux.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:57 PM
SageTVaholic

I spent the day building my unraid setup. I decided to try putting sagetv into a docker image. Right now I have my sagetv server running in a docker container and I can connect and watch my shows, so that's a good sign. Over the next few days I have to figure out how to get the HDPVRs and CommandIR working (and hopefully comskip).

If anyone is interested I an unraid v6 docker template here...
https://github.com/stuckless/sagetv-.../sagetv-server

I'd consider that a work in progress... so feel free to play with it, but it will continue to change over the next week or so.

So far, I'm pretty impressed with unRAID v6.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:37 AM
SageTVaholic

Is that working with HDHRs?

What are you recording to?
Old 04-24-2016, 11:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Is that working with HDHRs?

What are you recording to?
I'm still in the process of setting up the recording stuff. I don't use HDHR, since it doesn't work in canada.

My setup is...
2 HDPVRs recording from 2 BellTV satellite receivers to 720p h264 ts files. I used to record in 1080i, but I found the recordings to be problematic (that was years ago), so I just use 720p.

Setting up the HDPVRs is actually much more work than the HDHRs

I'll be recording to my unRAID "media" share (with ssd cache) once it's all setup.

A bigger challenge still, is getting the wine comskip to work under docker... but I can live without that for a short while while I get everything else in place.

On a side note.. My wife gives me a hard time about never throwing out old computer parts.... This weekend I had to dig out an old video card (my motherboard didn't onboard video) and an old usb 2.0 controller card (command ir has issues with usb 3 for some reason). I feel vindicated that I was able to dig into old boxes of parts to re-use these. I let her know.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:35 PM
SageTVaholic

I've actually got it scanning for channels on my HDHR right now. Worked right out of the box.