SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
That's all on hauppauge...we did everything we could to make those things stable. The hardware itself was the problem...there's only so many software hacks you can do to make unstable hardware appear stable. BUT I haven't tried the HDPVR2....so maybe that one works better; and again that's something the community could add support for if it doesn't work already.
I have run two HD-PVRs for years on two different servers with very little reliability problems other than those caused by failing wall warts. For many of us these are stable.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:29 PM
SageTVaholic

This is just incredible. Still running my Sage TV with 3 x HD300 and 20 TB of storage. Love to work on this in any capacity.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
I would love to see 20 different forks
That's what I say! Everyone should FORK OFF!

Old 03-11-2015, 02:44 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) / DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) for todays newest tech 3rdpraty device and clients app Android, iOS and Linux Mac or what ever else we dream up .
I disagree with that, but I suppose if its open source somebody can add it. DLNA is a lowest common denominator and is never the best option to watch anything.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:24 PM
Sage Icon

Well of course this happens the week after I stop using SageTV for new recording and switched to Kodi and NextPVR. Although at this point I am not sure I am willing to go back till I see where this is heading. I have come to like the Kodi interface and plugins. But...SageTV still clearly has the best DVR back-end.

I would love to see the SageTV Server software morph into a recording engine that just stored recordings in a format that could easily be used by Plex, Kodi and other similar client software. (Adding all the necessary show metadata in as open a format as possible)

Once you have a open back-end you could have lots of different forks\projects for front ends. From something as simple as a guide and scheduling app to a full replacement of the SageTV Interface for PC Clients and Extenders.

Retired SageTV in favor of Plex\Emby and YouTubeTV.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:34 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix View Post
My guess is he was thinking it might be a standard database file now not proprietary. But I'm sure you knew that already.
The database seems to work pretty well and as long as you can directly read and update it with the API then I am not sure adopting something like MySQL is worth the extra complexity. I had to install something to have a central database for Kodi and it just adds to the complexity of the setup. It is kind of nice to be able to easily query the data with multiple tools but not sure it would be worth the extra overhead.

Also: I would imagine at this point separating the SageTV code from the wiz.bin would be a major undertaking.

Retired SageTV in favor of Plex\Emby and YouTubeTV.

Last edited by SWKerr; 03-11-2015 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

As someone who has 3 HD200s, this is great news.

I have developed apps in iOS, Android, C#, and a little Java, so I am looking forward to finding an interesting feature or two to contribute to....
Old 03-11-2015, 04:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

SageTV Open Source

Very excited to hear that SageTV will be open sourced! This is great news!

I hope this will include both the server and client piece. This would allow the community to add support for newer hardware and systems, and port the SageTV client to other platforms such as the Raspberry Pi2, etc.

Thank you!
Old 03-11-2015, 05:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

This is amazing news! I just set up Kodi on a FireTV box and was struggling with the SageTV plugin. Great to know that one day instead I could see SageTV on the extender instead!
Old 03-11-2015, 05:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7up View Post
I'd love to see a SageTV server app for Synology NAS
OOOh yes!
Old 03-11-2015, 06:12 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWKerr View Post
I would love to see the SageTV Server software morph into a recording engine that just stored recordings in a format that could easily be used by Plex, Kodi and other similar client software. (Adding all the necessary show metadata in as open a format as possible)

Once you have a open back-end you could have lots of different forks\projects for front ends. From something as simple as a guide and scheduling app to a full replacement of the SageTV Interface for PC Clients and Extenders.
I would like to see this development as well. I was about ready to start, and may still install Kodi on my Amazon Fire to see what it looks like. That would be a good device for extenders assuming I can have access to STV through Kodi or another app.
Media Server: Win 7 Home (32 bit), GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 Yorkfield 2.83GHz, 4 GB Ram, Geforce 9600 GT PCI-E, 1x HD PVR, HD homerun (2x for OTA, 1x for FIOS QAM), 1 x HD Homerun Prime with cablecard from FIOS.

Client: Windows 10 Pro

Media Extenders: HD-200 x 3, HD-200 x 2
Old 03-11-2015, 06:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirge01 View Post
... Some of that would also depend upon devs returning to support the plugins they made. That second one is still my biggest concern. ...
I'm certainly in. I might not have as much time as I did several years ago but I'm looking forward to making a contribution.

High on my list is 64 bit Java support. I'm constantly bumping up against the heap limit.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:29 PM
Sage User

Great News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
Well....I'll be available to help as needed. But as it was already a very solid product; it's not like much needs to be done with it to make it useable again (main thing is new installers, and recompiling it with all the licensing code removed...most of which is already disabled)
Hi Jeff,

This is great news. I was struggling a bit to get Linux v7 on a NUC. It is nice to see you getting the band back together.

Thank you,
Old 03-11-2015, 06:50 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix View Post
My guess is he was thinking it might be a standard database file now not proprietary. But I'm sure you knew that already.
Thank you that's what I was trying to say
SageTV: SageTV Server 7.1.8 on Ubuntu Linux 11.04, SageTV Placeshifter for Mac 6.6.2, SageTV Client 7.0.15 for Windows, Linux Placeshifter 7.1.8 on Server and Client
, Java 1.6.
Plugins: Jetty, Nielm's Web Server, Mobile Web Interface.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:02 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWKerr View Post
The database seems to work pretty well and as long as you can directly read and update it with the API then I am not sure adopting something like MySQL is worth the extra complexity. I had to install something to have a central database for Kodi and it just adds to the complexity of the setup. It is kind of nice to be able to easily query the data with multiple tools but not sure it would be worth the extra overhead.

Also: I would imagine at this point separating the SageTV code from the wiz.bin would be a major undertaking.
I wouldn't want any new database engine to require a separate installation. That's an unnecessary headache. It would need to be an embedded engine similar to how it was done with the web servers.

It's hard to say how much effort it would take until the source is released. It may have been written with a good abstraction layer or Jeff may have already done it given that he said the locking has been greatly improved in "8.something".

I don't know anything about the Wiz.bin format or engine. It will be interesting to find out.
SageTV: SageTV Server 7.1.8 on Ubuntu Linux 11.04, SageTV Placeshifter for Mac 6.6.2, SageTV Client 7.0.15 for Windows, Linux Placeshifter 7.1.8 on Server and Client
, Java 1.6.
Plugins: Jetty, Nielm's Web Server, Mobile Web Interface.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:26 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
I'm not sure how much time the original developers will have 'on the side' to help, and I fear all the best developers interested in PVR apps have moved onto the likes of MythTV or Kodi. I hope not. My second fear is those same people will pick & choose what made Sage great and take that code for those other projects, leaving Sage a carcass sitting on cinder blocks on the front lawn. I hope I am wrong. Ideally, the best of the best will come back to Sage and improve it further.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:49 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Well right now we've got enough info/access via the SageTV API to "fully" integrate with Kodi (Plex is another issue all together), although an actively developed SageTV would potentially inspire work on that front.
Me and a couple other guys (who are way more talented coders than myself) built a Kodi add-on to integrate with SageTV. It is not using the Kodi PVR stuff, but is a great way to watch SageTV recordings (with metadata) in Kodi
Rosewill RSV-L4411 server case, Core i5 4590, 16 GB RAM, 1 Hauppauge Colossus, 1 HDHomeRun, 500GB SATA recording drive, 14 TB JBOD for media, SageTV 7, Win7 Pro, Ubuntu 14.04 VM with Plex Server and Subsonic

Frontend:
ASUS Chromebox running Kodi with SageTV add-on
Old 03-11-2015, 07:53 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by valnar View Post
My second fear is those same people will pick & choose what made Sage great and take that code for those other projects, leaving Sage a carcass sitting on cinder blocks on the front lawn.
That's not necessarily a bad thing. While I really like Sage, how to put it, I don't has some philosophical attachment to it, if Kodi or some other group decides to scavange and take the best of Sage and integrate it into their best, then all the better.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronb View Post
Me and a couple other guys (who are way more talented coders than myself) built a Kodi add-on to integrate with SageTV. It is not using the Kodi PVR stuff, but is a great way to watch SageTV recordings (with metadata) in Kodi
I played with Kodi and SeverWMC a bit. I really don't get what's up with everyone "liking" Kodi for TV, from what I saw it's pretty abysmal. Even just looking at the recordings list pales in comparison to SageTV.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:02 PM
SageTVaholic

My issue with Kodi, unless it has changed, is that it isn't a client server implementation so you had to configure each clients and fix any issue with metadata, etc. Plex seemed much easier from this perspective and was much easier to run on many clients, particularly when they were on different types of devices like TVs, Xbox, tablets, phones, etc.

Tags
open source