SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV v7 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 7 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 7 and newer.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:57 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
In the DIY realm, I'm either going to MythTV + Kodi or NextPVR + Kodi.
Quote:
Hmmm.... I'll have more to say in a day or two when the dust settles, but my overall reaction is that I think it's a few years too late.
I think many of us agree that Sage is still better than those alternatives, but after your experimentation you agree that NextPVR or MythTV offers a better experience, I'm sure some of us will follow because we know you'll put your development efforts into that other platform.

If, however, after your extensive testing feel SageTV is still the better product, I'll greet you back with open arms and personally send you a bottle of wine.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:14 PM
SageTVaholic

NEXTPVR is way ahead of SAGETV as far as recording it has better Tuner support and better use of tuners. Where Sage has a leg up is it's scheduling logic more options. By the Time SageTV catches up with NEXTPVR ... as far as tuner support and better use of the tuners will be quite a while. MultiRecord ... Picture in Picture.

Last edited by nyplayer; 03-13-2015 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:19 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
NEXTPVR is way ahead of SAGETV as far as recording it has better Tuner support and better use of tuners. Where Sage has a leg up is it's scheduling logic more options. By the Time SageTV catches up with NEXTPVR ... as far as tuner support and better use of the tuners will be quite a while. MultiRecord ... Picture in Picture.
Hmm. Did not know that. Perhaps this is for another thread, but then what does MythTV offer that is better? And if NextPVR is so good, why stay with Sage?
Old 03-13-2015, 01:25 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by valnar View Post
Hmm. Did not know that. Perhaps this is for another thread, but then what does MythTV offer that is better? And if NextPVR is so good, why stay with Sage?
My main household System is NEXTPVR I keep Sage on my test System because I support some users that still use SageTV.

PS I love Picture in Picture for Sports.

Last edited by nyplayer; 03-13-2015 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Sorry is not way ahead of SageTV, Sure it may have better Tuner support you know why that is well sub get all late SDK from hauppauge for all lates devices, The only thing NPVR has over SageTV and that is Picture in Picture and FM radio.
I don't like the way they client support was done where had enabled sharing on C:\Users\Public\NPVR folder.
IR Blaster support was very poorly done as is only Hauppauge Blaster directly support nothing else so there you had used external tools make that work what pain, And don't get me start about part TV guide and other thing, don't get me wrong sub did a nice job but ever s he did major over change it has not been the same.

Last edited by SHS; 03-13-2015 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:25 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
Sorry is not way ahead of SageTV, Sure it may have better Tuner support you know way that is well sub get all late SDK from hauppauge for all lates devices, The only thing NPVR has over SageTV and that is Picture in Picture and FM radio.
I don't like the way they client support was done where had enabled sharing on C:\Users\Public\NPVR folder.
IR Blaster support was very poorly done as is only Hauppauge Blaster directly support nothing else so there you had used external tools make that work what pain, And don't get me start about part TV guide and other thing, don't get me wrong sub did a nice job but ever s he did major over change it has not been the same.
Sage has problems playing it's own Hd Homerun recordings. I got too tired of having to REMUX... and spinning circle. Till sage gets Native Prime support and Multirecord and PIP I will stay away. PS You need 6 tuners in SageTV to accomplish back to back padding ... that you can do with 3 Tuners in NEXTPVR.

Last edited by nyplayer; 03-13-2015 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:29 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Sage has problems playing it's own Hd Homerun recordings. I got too tired of having to REMUX... and spinning circle.
Never had an issue.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by valnar View Post
Never had an issue.
I never did either. NextPVR was never that appealing to me at least when I looked at it. But to each his own I guess.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:26 PM
SageTVaholic

If you're scoring at home, it was the Rick Astley video that did it... man what a terrible song, video, everything. Oh the '80s!

Yeah so where do I stand? Well, I'm clearly staying on SageTV, but the state of my plugins hasn't changed -- they're all dormant, I have no plans to restart active development of any of them, but that's subject to change.

The stuff I inherited, I will not touch ever again -- specifically the webui. Someone who's interested in that may want to take ownership of it in the plugin repo so new releases can be done. If I'm ever doing anything web related again, I'm writing something new. Thing is though, the one we have does all I need it to so a new plugin or addition to the core is unlikely (from me).

My other plugins, I have no plans to update them at all -- again, they all do what I want. But that could change. Like I pulled out my Sage notebook this week, dusted it off, and took a look. Some interesting ideas I had and now with the core source code, the ideas take on a whole new perspective. So maybe I'll redo SageAlert like I have sketched out in my notepad, maybe I won't. Probably won't, but I might. Same with SJQ, like wouldn't it be neat if the core itself provided a task scheduler to attach to favourites directly? Not sure if I'll actually do it, but maybe.

But now with the core source, some theoretical questions could actually be answered, which is actually more interesting a challenge to me than updating my 3 year old dormant plugins. For example, I was thinking a few months back, "wouldn't life be easier if the Sage plugin repo was actually a maven repository hosted on bintray and not only plugins hosted, but the core jars as well?" I have no idea, but now all of a sudden, I can answer that question if I get inspired. I also found some notes about the scheduler algorithm in the core. I had some thoughts on how I wished it worked. Well now I can try it out.

So most of my ideas are things that probably aren't that interesting to anyone else, but if I do play with the code, that's probably where I'm heading at this point. More for experimentation. It's very unlikely at this point that my actual Sage box I use to record tv will ever move away from its current 7.1.9 build, but I'll probably tinker on my own fork of the source code. I'd also be willing to contribute back to the main/parent repo on issues for the community that also align with my interests/needs/expertise.

So I'm not leaving, I just don't know how much of a role I'll end up playing. Still waiting to see who comes back and what new people decide to join us because I see a lot of wishlists and ideas forming, which is great, but we need the developers with that expertise to return to the fold. Like the video/Android client, etc. Great ideas, but I know I have no expertise (or interest) in video stuff at all. We need devs with that knowledge to resurface so I'm waiting to see who shows up before I get too excited. If the right people don't show up, we'll have a repository of source code and a big wish list but no one to implement it. But I'm here and I'm willing to tackle things that I'm capable of and interested in.

Welcome back, Sage.

Rick Astley... damn song is stuck in my head!!!
STB Controller: 1 x USB-UIRT
Software:Java 1.7.0_71; SageTV 7.1.9
Clients: 1 x HD300, 2 x HD200, 1 x SageClient, 1 x PlaceShifter
Plugins: Too many to list now...
Old 03-13-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
If you're scoring at home, it was the Rick Astley video that did it... man what a terrible song, video, everything. Oh the '80s!

Rick Astley... damn song is stuck in my head!!!
HaHa your right but fit in this case that why it always been one most unpopular hate video out there.
I from the mid 70's, 80's that my era as teen ager.
We know you be around form time to time.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
That feature you have mentioned in the past caught my attention - the one where back to back recordings on the same station can both have padding, yet never take up more than one tuner. That's a very powerful feature, but you can imagine that it would take some real work in the scheduling logic to implement (and not breaking something else in the process).
Old 03-13-2015, 07:19 PM
Sage Icon

Well said, Slugger. Thanks for the update.
SageTV: SageTV Server 7.1.8 on Ubuntu Linux 11.04, SageTV Placeshifter for Mac 6.6.2, SageTV Client 7.0.15 for Windows, Linux Placeshifter 7.1.8 on Server and Client
, Java 1.6.
Plugins: Jetty, Nielm's Web Server, Mobile Web Interface.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
.. It's very unlikely at this point that my actual Sage box I use to record tv will ver move away from its current 7.1.9 build, ...
Yea, right Somebody will come up with something cool that requires an update and you'll be pressing the 'update now' button like the rest of us.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Probably... I mean I'll likely be the reason. Like I said, I dug around during the week and found my Sage notepad that had been buried in a box in the office closet for at least 2 years, looks like almost 3. Today I say I see some ideas that interest me but I "probably won't" pursue them. However, once the source code is available and the community rises from the dead a little, I'll probably dive back in.

But I feel like there's going to be a tonne of prep work before we even think about changes/new features. Like are we going to have to gut the current epg code and replace it with something else (assuming Google is cutting off epg data access)?

Strip the licensing code out of the code base. Not sure if Jeff's going to do that ahead of time, but I doubt it.

Hell, I mean just setting up an environment to build the existing code base "as is" (i.e. reliably and consistently reproduce the 7.1.9 build). What's involved in that?

Moving to 64bit... rumour has it that it's not too bad an undertaking. Java 8 compatibility (Java 7 EOLs in April, I do believe).

None of the above are sexy nor add any immediate tangible value (to most end users), but they are key to any long term plans, imho, and I doubt any of those are a single weekend kind of adventure. Especially like 64bit and Java 8 support. Getting a 64bit build or a Java 8 build probably isn't overly taxing an effort, but qualifying such builds as stable, that just takes time.

Jeff said open source "in months, not years". 3 months? 6 months? Let's say 3-4 months. Between just organizing the community, identifying who's in and what skill sets they bring, etc. and then checking off just the few items above (and that initial todo list seems a little light, but it's what rolled off the top of my head) feels like another few months, at least (I'm assuming no one is quitting their jobs to take this project on full time ). I don't see how it's not at least 6 months before we're even ready to start entertaining ideas for an "8.1-alpha" (if we call getting a build with the above items addressed 8.0). It could easily be closer to a year for this just depending on what kind of timeline Jeff is thinking to even get the code to us.

So, yeah, I've been thinking about these things this week and that probably means at some point I likely will upgrade my production box with something produced by the OS version.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

Welcome back slugger
Old 03-15-2015, 09:06 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Like are we going to have to gut the current epg code and replace it with something else (assuming Google is cutting off epg data access)?
Did I miss something in one of Jeff's posts? What makes people think Google is planning to cut of epg data access?
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 03-15-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
Did I miss something in one of Jeff's posts? What makes people think Google is planning to cut of epg data access?
We don't know it just a guest as old saying goes it better to ahead of the game then behing the game

Last edited by SHS; 03-15-2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
We don't know it just a guest as say goes it better to ahead of the game then behing the game
My theory is, once the source is opened up, if the existing epg service remains in place well now everyone and their dog has the source code (i.e. the step by step instructions) to just latch onto the Sage/Google EPG server and fetch all their epg data needs. I really don't see how Google can allow that, given their agreement with Tribune. I'm sure the other PVR packages out there wouldn't mind some free EPG data for their projects. I mean Jeff hasn't confirmed it, but I'd be surprised if we are granted ongoing access to the Sage EPG service once the source code is published.

Last edited by Slugger; 03-15-2015 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
My theory is, once the source is opened up, if the existing epg service remains in place well now everyone and their dog has the source code (i.e. the step by step instructions) to just latch onto the Sage/Google EPG server and fetch all their epg data needs. I really don't see how Google can allow that, given their agreement with Tribune. I'm sure the other PVR packages out there wouldn't mind some free EPG data for their projects. I mean Jeff hasn't confirmed it, but I'd be surprised if we are granted ongoing access to the Sage EPG service once the source code is published.
That what I was thinking to Slugger so we have wait and see.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:30 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I'm sure the other PVR packages out there wouldn't mind some free EPG data for their projects.
Yup. I've actually already got the tool to import the EPG data from SageTV to NextPVR but I wasn't sure if they EULA for the data allowed it.

Martin