SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV v7 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 7 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 7 and newer.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Yes, the livepvrdata service should continue on (Sage/SRE is not the only users of that web service). Unfortunately, if I make changes to that service that break the current SRE Sage plugin for it then that's the end of SRE (unless someone takes over that project).

With that said, the last build of SRE was done in Jan 2012 and I haven't looked at the code for it since then and it still runs fine today on my Sage install. I haven't made API breaking changes to the livepvrdata service in over 3 years and I'll try my hardest to keep it that way. But I can't promise that it won't ever break either. It's a good bet (but not a sure one) that SRE should be fine.
STB Controller: 1 x USB-UIRT
Software:Java 1.7.0_71; SageTV 7.1.9
Clients: 1 x HD300, 2 x HD200, 1 x SageClient, 1 x PlaceShifter
Plugins: Too many to list now...
Old 02-13-2015, 10:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
Yes, the livepvrdata service should continue on (Sage/SRE is not the only users of that web service). Unfortunately, if I make changes to that service that break the current SRE Sage plugin for it then that's the end of SRE (unless someone takes over that project).

With that said, the last build of SRE was done in Jan 2012 and I haven't looked at the code for it since then and it still runs fine today on my Sage install. I haven't made API breaking changes to the livepvrdata service in over 3 years and I'll try my hardest to keep it that way. But I can't promise that it won't ever break either. It's a good bet (but not a sure one) that SRE should be fine.
Well, if SRE breaks, I'll be fixing it locally for myself, so I'd be willing to publish those fixes to the community. I wouldn't plan on any enhancements, but I use it so I am vested in keeping it running.

I'll make the same offer for the webui, though I can't see why that would break.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:53 PM
SageTVaholic

Slugger...no interest in doing the EPG for a fee - paid subscription?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 02-15-2015, 07:40 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingwiz View Post
Well, if SRE breaks, I'll be fixing it locally for myself, so I'd be willing to publish those fixes to the community. I wouldn't plan on any enhancements, but I use it so I am vested in keeping it running.

I'll make the same offer for the webui, though I can't see why that would break.
Excellent. The first step is to get the plugins to build on your system. Email/pm me with any questions. I'm away on vacation this week so you likely won't hear from me before the 24th, but fire any questions my way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
Slugger...no interest in doing the EPG for a fee - paid subscription?
Thought about how to word my response to this for a couple days. I don't think it's going to come out right either way so here it is...

Would I be interested in people paying me to maintain this project? Not sure. When you start charging people for something there is an implicit expectation of quality & service/support, and rightfully so, imho. I think the code as is meets the quality standards, but it's service/support that scares me a little. If I charged $5/user then I think we'd agree that you want your questions answered, but for $5 you understand you're not getting a 5 minute turn around. But at $5/user, it's not really worth my time if I'm no longer using it myself. I don't have an exact number, but to make it worth my time based on the current user base of the plugin, you'd all laugh at me (or virtually start throwing stuff at me as it were ). Software development isn't cheap, supporting it is even more expensive. And when it's something I'll no longer be using, I'd almost have to add a premium to that number just to keep me interested. 10 hours a day developing software is usually enough. But then to shut it down at work only to come home and put another evening of answering support questions, etc.? No thanks, unless the price is such that I couldn't turn it down, but that number is not anything anyone would pay for something like this.

When I'm a user, it's totally different. I was tweaking my setup and then sharing my work with everyone else. No problems, happy to do it. I also was doing a lot of it for learning -- I mean I didn't know a lick of java before I stumbled over here 8 years ago. It's different when you're invested in the platform yourself.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:24 PM
SageTVaholic

I've been really thankful that you stayed around as long as you did, Slugger. Your work, as well as that of countless other developers and helpful forum folks, has been pure pleasure to experience over all these years.

SageTV software has always been good, but it's you folks that made it truly great. That's one thing Google will [unfortunately] never be able to realize with the customer base they are targeting today.

This was a unique thing that took place here. So rare in this type of environment that I don't expect to see something like it again anytime soon.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:38 PM
SageTVaholic

And even though Jeff won't (or probably can't) confirm it, I have to believe now that as long as Google Fiber is collecting revenue from somewhere for their tv offering, Sage will continue to get guide data. Got to figure if Google was going to pull the plug they'd have done it after 3 years. As long as Google Fiber doesn't rewrite their epg processing code, it seems like Sage has epg data.

Trust me, from experience, writing that layer isn't exactly a weekend project so I figure Google's approach is if it ain't broke, don't fix it. And if that's the case, Sage is probably good for epg data.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
And even though Jeff won't (or probably can't) confirm it, I have to believe now that as long as Google Fiber is collecting revenue from somewhere for their tv offering, Sage will continue to get guide data. Got to figure if Google was going to pull the plug they'd have done it after 3 years. As long as Google Fiber doesn't rewrite their epg processing code, it seems like Sage has epg data.

Trust me, from experience, writing that layer isn't exactly a weekend project so I figure Google's approach is if it ain't broke, don't fix it. And if that's the case, Sage is probably good for epg data.
that's a bit of a warm-and-fuzzy
and I understand your angle on doing things as a 'job', it's not as fun if you aren't involved. But as a Tivo user as well, Sage still takes first place. I get the impression the EPG user-base isn't large enough to warrant reasonable fees, but if Google does yank service, ask us then how much we'd pay
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 02-16-2015, 03:40 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks Slugger for all your work over the years!

As for guide data, I agree with the other responses that if Google were going to stop it, they would have done so by now.
With that said though, do bear in mind that those of us not in the US or Canada have always had to find another way to get guide data (which I've mentioned in other threads on guide data previously), so even if Google did stop the guide, it really wouldn't take much effort to get setup with something else.

I currently use LMGestion's XMLTV Importer for SageTV, which is available here and then all you need is an XMLTV source, which I believe Schedules Direct as mentioned in this thread provides. Personally I use a combination of over-the-air guide data (via EPG Collector) and Microsoft's WMC guide data.
I've been using this combination for nearly 5yrs and other than having to fix a couple of mapping issues (due to over-the-air channels moving) I've barely had to touch it.

So basically, no need to worry, Sage can continue for years to come IF you want it to
Old 02-21-2015, 12:44 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingwiz View Post

The webui should be pretty stable, but not that Slugger is dropping out, I'm going to clone the repo this weekend.

I try to avoid coding at home (too many long hours writing code at work), but I'd make an exception to keep the plugins that I use running.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:04 PM
SageTVaholic

Slugger - please come back now and help since SageTV will be OS.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Hmmm.... I'll have more to say in a day or two when the dust settles, but my overall reaction is that I think it's a few years too late. Better late than never I suppose, but anyways, I'll post a reply in that thread sometime this week.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:41 PM
SageTVaholic

too late? Plex sure has gained traction, and they don't even have tech support, do they? MediaPortal? The iPad/large phones/tablets could wake people up to how great it was, as the sale happened before these devices got any serious traction. Fingers crossed.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:24 AM
SageTVaholic

Come back Slugger!

I'll even migrate Dynamic Skip Times to Phoenix for you

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:57 AM
Sage Fanatic

Yes! Come back.. Sage now has a pulse again... Granted it's a very weak pulse.. but there are signs of recovery! :-)

Jim
Old 03-10-2015, 10:05 AM
Sage Advanced User

I add my plea for your return - it was almost the first thing I thought of when I read Jeff's post!
Old 03-11-2015, 01:07 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt4242 View Post
I add my plea for your return - it was almost the first thing I thought of when I read Jeff's post!
What he said.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

Slugger...
Old 03-12-2015, 10:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trk2 View Post
I was thinking more like this.
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7
Old 03-12-2015, 11:22 PM