SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:55 PM
Sage Icon

HDHomeRun Sage Integration Problem

Hello - Time Warner changed their frequencies again on me a few days ago and I'm trying to get the HDHomeRun Prime to work again. In general, I was using it just to record channels 2-13 in SD format and 402-413 in HD. I was using it as a digital tuner.

The problem is those stations are no longer available so I got a cable card to put in the Homerun Prime and I now have access to those stations again in the HDHomerun Prime setup software but I can't see them at all in Sage.

In the setup software I can still see the stations if the source type is Digital Cable and not cable card so I don't think I need to use SageDCT since I have access to the stations in the HDHomerun setup software.

The problem is for example channel 2 comes in as Tune 2080 in the homerun setup. But, in Sage I don't see a channel 2080 at all and when I scan then there are no channels found. I tried remapping channel to to physical channel 2080 but that didn't work and the station ID 10453 did not change either. I'm not sure what to do next to get the channels on the cable card. I'm not using SageDCT and I don't think I have to for channels 2-13 if I have the prime software set on digital tuner and not on cable card but if I do have to then I'm not sure how to set that up.

Thanks.

I'm not sure what to do to get it to work with the cable card in the HD Prime. It works in the HD setup software but not in sage.

Last edited by mike1961; 12-19-2014 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

My guess is that you DO need SageDCT. It talks to CableCards. Sage does not.
All in lovely Drexel Hill, PA
Old 12-20-2014, 09:56 PM
Sage Icon

How reliable and stable is sagedct?
Old 12-21-2014, 09:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1961 View Post
How reliable and stable is sagedct?
It is not a matter of how reliable it is ... It is the only way you can use cablecard in SageTV ... you have no other options. So if you want to use your Cable Card you need to use SageDCT.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

SageDCT has worked like a charm for me (ever since I swapped out a flaky router). Highly recommended.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:02 PM
Sage Icon

I'm using it now but I have an OLD version 2.0 and I'm wondering if there are differences in the newer version?

Also, if there are then is there a site I can download it at?

A few days ago before Time Warner switched their frequencies I could get channels 2-13 in SD and HD without the cable card so I didn't need to use SageDCT.

I was using the HDHomeRun primarily for channels 2-13 and I have two other tuners for all the other channels. The main thing I like is that Time Warner still allows you to record in SD format (or HD) for channels 2-13 which is plenty adequate for me (in SD). The main advantage is that in SD format it's about 1/5 the file size of HD so I default the HD channels in the 402-413 range but now even if you want just BASIC channels 2-13 with Time Warner you need a cable card. At last check in my area a few days ago the only thing available without the cable card were 4 HD channels and that's it. But, for only $4 a month for the cable card to get hundreds of channels is worth it.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:35 PM
SageTVaholic

If you use a cablecard tuner with Time Warner Cable and Sage (SageDCT), you will not receive hundreds of stations. You will only get the stations that are broadcast with the CCI flag as "copy freely," which is probably only going to be your local affiliates (5 to 20 stations I would imagine).

For example, I just attempted to tune channel 59 with my cablecard tuner (Time Warner), which is the SD version of AMC, and the CCI is "One Copy" (0x02), which means I will not be able to view or record this channel with SageTV.

If you were using Windows Media Center, you would be able to record these stations on that computer, and watch them either on that same computer, or an extender (Xbox 360).
Old 12-21-2014, 08:47 PM
SageTVaholic

The local affiliate here for NBC is channel 4 (SD) and 1004 (HD).

Ironically, Time Warner has set channel 4 to "one Copy" while channel 1004 is broadcast with no copy protection.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:58 PM
Sage Icon

I only need channels 2-13 because I have two capture cards for cable boxes which give me all the channels and I use encoder merit for the home run. 99% of the time if we are recording more than two channels at the same time then at least one of the channels and sometimes many are from 2-13. It's just a mess though with all the electronic devices between the two cable boxes, cable modem, tuner, hd home run, router, computer, etc.

Krypto - if they set it to "one copy"then does it not work at all in Sage? I'm just curious how it works when set to one copy in Sage? For me, in my area channels 2-13 are in HD and I think it's in the 2000s that are in SD so I actually remapped them because I prefer SD since it takes less space but I still want the option for HD and I can view them all 2-13 in HD without a problem but I'm wondering if I could if it is set to one copy.

Thanks
Old 12-24-2014, 10:46 AM
SageTVaholic

I've never seen any TV provider that had the HD channels down in the low numbers like that, but I haven't seen many, so I suppose anything is possible.

If the cable company flags the broadcast as "One Copy," then Sage won't be able to handle that through the cablecard tuner.

If you open the "HDHomeRun Config GUI" application, with a show recording on one of the cable card tuners (using the HDHR software to view the channel):

- Select the HDHR Unit in the listbox on the left (not any one tuner, but the parent object above the tuners)
- At the webpage on the right, select "Tuner Status"
- Select the active tuner and check the CCI Protection

That should tell you what the CCI status of that channel, and if it's set to copy once, then Sage will not record this on the HDHRPrime, you will need to grab it from another tuner on your Set-top-box, as it sounds like you have already configured.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:50 AM
SageTVaholic

My cablecard tuner is a PCIe card in the computer and has 4 tuners, so I have three tuners in use with SageTV, and the last of the four tuners assigned to Windows Media Center (Windows 7), and with an Xbox next to one of my televisions, it's a good backup for when you have company over for football games.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:18 PM
Sage Icon

Yes - TWC is moving to all HD so the low channels are becoming the HD channels. Can't I just click the Channel lineup instead? Time Warner Cable shows the channels that are DRM. Time Warner is moving to all HD and right now of the low channels (I can't explain why) but QVC does have DRM but in SD it does not. Take a look at the JPG attached. So, what I did was in Sage I remapped 2-13 to 402-413 and I mapped the SD channels in the 2000 range to 2-13 because I want SD to be the default. But, it seems that all I have to do is look at the channel lineup and I can quickly see which channels are DRM. It doesn't seem that I need to do it channel by channel and then check the CCI.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TWC.jpg (36.1 KB, 238 views)

Last edited by mike1961; 12-24-2014 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:52 PM
SageTVaholic

That should work. I guess if it doesn't, you'll know pretty quick because SageDCT won't show any audio/video for the channel you attempted to tune.

Those channels that are clear of any DRM appear to be your local affiliate channels, so I guess what you're seeing makes sense.