SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-01-2014, 12:09 PM
Sage User

SageTV Client quits if Paused too long

Hi does anybody else have a problem were if SageTV is paused for too long (approx 5 or 10 mins) on TV or video playback the GUI crashes (the service carries on in background so GUI can just be relaunched)
This only seems to happen on the Server/Main Client PC (not headless server) haven't seen it on any of my clients
Have re-installed SageTV and have the same issue (although I run Gemstone and stupidly I didn't try it before installing all my normal plugins)
Would be interested if anybody else has this annoying "feature"

Last edited by i0zjh02; 09-02-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to Ted@TNT
I've had this problem for about a year, but I had a fairly messed-up Sage installation, so I thought it was just due to that.

Today, I started from a clean SageTV7 build with no additional plugins, added Phoenix, then selected Phoenix 2. I set up web/streaming also. I just paused a show and SageTv crashed again.

Does anyone know what this is??
W7 64-bit, SageTV V7, Phoenix2 Asus P5W DH-Deluxe Motherboard, Core 2 Quad, 12 GB DDR2, 250 GB OS, 2 TB Recordings, 6 TB Movies (holding DVD library), nVidia 285, HD PVR 1212 x2, HDHR x2, Zalmann HD160XT case, Harmony 890pro Remote. Pioneer 50" KURO Plasma, Pioneer Elite 7.1 surround A/V receiver, Energy & Paradigm speakers.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:24 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted@TNT View Post
I've had this problem for about a year, but I had a fairly messed-up Sage installation, so I thought it was just due to that.

Today, I started from a clean SageTV7 build with no additional plugins, added Phoenix, then selected Phoenix 2. I set up web/streaming also. I just paused a show and SageTv crashed again.

Does anyone know what this is??
You say you did a clean Install but Installed plugins then tried it. maybe you should try it with no plugins first to see if it crashes. Then Install plugins one at a time and try it.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:07 PM
Sage Aficionado

I know that mine is setup to put on a slideshow after set amount of pausing. Maybe it is defaulting to that and there is an invalid picture directory setup?

Grant
Old 12-01-2014, 10:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thank you both for your suggestions.

I do have a screensaver that kicks in -- and leave the TV on with it playing for at least a couple of hours each day. I don't think a bad image is an issue, as it never crashes unless it is paused.

I suppose I can look into removing plugins and testing, but it is an intermittent problem.

Or, I could train myself to just stop the playback and later resume instead of pausing if I'm going to interrupt watching for anything longer than a minute or two.
W7 64-bit, SageTV V7, Phoenix2 Asus P5W DH-Deluxe Motherboard, Core 2 Quad, 12 GB DDR2, 250 GB OS, 2 TB Recordings, 6 TB Movies (holding DVD library), nVidia 285, HD PVR 1212 x2, HDHR x2, Zalmann HD160XT case, Harmony 890pro Remote. Pioneer 50" KURO Plasma, Pioneer Elite 7.1 surround A/V receiver, Energy & Paradigm speakers.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:58 PM
Sage Icon

Any chance your server might be going into hibernation, sleep or a power down mode?
Old 01-11-2015, 11:13 AM
Sage User

Me too

I am having the same issue. I also did a full uninstall reboot and re install. My issue remains. my system does not hibernate or sleep. I just uninstalled all plugins I will post back if any improvement in performance, and which plugin was the culprit.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:37 PM
Sage Aficionado

Hard drive going to sleep? This will mess up extenders if the server hard drive goes to sleep while the video is paused.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:10 PM
Sage User

Mine crashes as well when paused for an extended amount of time. I know my drives/system are not going to sleep....all of that stuff is disabled and has been for several years.

My Sage Oddities:

--- Pause on recorded content - GUI crash after a period of time
** no idea on how long this really is since I don't pause that often
** I do have a slide show screensaver, but it runs all the time no matter what state Sage is in

--- Watching LiveTV for long periods of time - GUI crash after several hours
** think turning on morning news and turning off TV only never hitting stop...come back in evening and Sage has bombed out

--- FF/RW oddites where screen image freezes, audio continues, and if left alone will crash GUI out in a minute or two. If caught within 30 seconds or so, just hitting FF/RW again fixes it.

--- slow-motion video. Random playback of recorded TV that plays back videos in very slow motion. Usually have to reboot system to recover. Restart of just Sage does not always correct issue.

I have not tried disabling plugins yet since most issues are so intermittent.

Still love my SageTV, but not sure what I am going to do when this system finally dies. I haven't found anything else that is as simple to use.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

I've completely rebuilt SageTV AGAIN. New OS with barely anything on it. I don't use a server/client setup, mostly. My main TV is connected to the "server", and occasionally a client connects to it.

However, even before loading STVi's on top of SageTV 7.0, I found it closing when paused too long. Has nobody found a solution for this yet?
Old 09-16-2015, 06:17 AM
Sage Icon

Have you checked the Sage log file to see if there are any error messages when it shuts down?

I leave mine paused for long periods all the time and have never seen this issue.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR