SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 08-19-2014, 10:46 PM
Sage User

SageTV - thank you for the Memories

I'm a Long time SageTV user, running first on Windows XP, and then moving to Windows Server 2008 and then 2008r2.

But the time has come to move on, as Comcast has decided to finally encrypt the Local Clear QAM channels(thank you FCC) making my 3rd set of HDhomeruns useless (started with 2 first gen using BeyondTV, then two 2nd gen and finally two 3rd gen) and I no longer wish to play the Comcast game.

I'm still using the HD200 units, to view the TBs of recorded shows, they still make good media players. Never did get the HD300 units before Google decided to buy SageTV and kill SageTV dead at the same moment.

Been using a FireTV as a XMBC player, works great and like the plugins, and using AppleTV/Chromecast for streaming too.

Comcast has helped to get rid of the 'must watch "live/delayed" tv feeling' and now I'll Binge watch a season when it shows up on netflix or amazon prime. Guess we see how well that worked out for Comcast.

SageTV you were/are the best (even years after Google killed you), but the FCC has put the final nail in the coffin and your recording/guide services are no longer needed.

Wishing all the best for those whom continue to use this Great Software (with Cablecards)

Sorry for the long rant, needed an outlet and figured I'd share here

P.S. i using comcast business internet, unlimited data, great for streaming all day, every day
Capture: 3 x HDHomerun
Software: SageTV 7.1.9, Java 1.6.0_29
Clients: 3 x HD200, 1 x iPad

Last edited by nethead; 08-20-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:50 PM
Sage Aficionado

thankfully Charter isn't encrypting the basic channels yet. I don't record in HD since i don't have a HD TV and don't get most of the non-basic cable channels so it's still working out for me. I dread the day when i finally have to give up SageTV. I was ready a couple years ago to buy a HD300 but then saw that the site was shut down. I didn't know about the Google buyout back then. What a real shame. SageTV was and is the best. Rock solid for the most part, too. Never thought this would happen to them. Thankfully the TV guide still works.

Capture Devices: HDHomerunXTEND, HDHomerunPrime
Old 08-20-2014, 10:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Are DirectTV and Dish decrypted on broadcast channels?
Agreed, the FCC were setup to protect the public re: airwaves, frequencies and licenses, at least partly.
By taking the current path, they're just another cable lobbyist, aren't they?
We can still record HD OTA somehow if we want to, can't we?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson

Last edited by tvmaster2; 08-20-2014 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
Are DirectTV and Dish decrypted on broadcast channels?
Both use proprietary systems for which no PC tuners exist.

Quote:
We can still record HD OTA somehow if we want to, can't we?
yes
Old 08-21-2014, 02:51 PM
Sage Aficionado

Recording OTA?
As a matter of fact this would probably work well for nethead if he wanted to keep his hdhomeruns working, of course this depends on the layout of his house and the proximity of the transmitters. I have 2 antennas in my attic pointing at the 2 clusters of broadcast towers nearest my house. They are about 135 degrees apart. Each hdhomerun has it's own lineup of just the 8 or ten stations each one gets. The hdhomruns are also in the attic, so all that runs down the walls is 2 sections of cat5.

This works great for me without needing an omni directional antenna and it also eliminated the multipath problem from the one transmitting tower that I can see out my window. I think that it's just too strong. I have an old yagi style antenna and a homemade gray hoverman made from about 6 feet of 10-2 romex , 8' of reynolds wrap aluminum foil and some scrap wood. Link to building instructions The gray hoverman with the reflector is what finally fixed the multipath problem. It was truly frustrating to have the transmitter less than 5 miles from my house and not be able to get a solid signal.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:11 PM
SageTVaholic

This will also help OTA .... boosts the signal. I use a small flat HDTV Indoor antenna to feed 6 HD Homerun devices and 2 tvs.... Works great no dropouts.

HDTV AMP

Last edited by nyplayer; 08-21-2014 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:27 PM
SageTVaholic

I record from my satellite receivers component outputs. Does that work with Dish or Direct hardware (I have Shaw)?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 08-22-2014, 09:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
I record from my satellite receivers component outputs. Does that work with Dish or Direct hardware (I have Shaw)?
It should work - I assume you are using HD-PVRs or Collosus tuners. But some folks can't be bothered with STBs feeding the encoders. I personally have been doing this for years and don't understand the issue, other than the cost of the boxes which must be rented.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:38 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Both use proprietary systems for which no PC tuners exist.
I thought the genpix tuners could still receive the Dish / Bell satellite signal (Turbo8PSK). Decrypting the content is another matter entirely, but the unencrypted channels (barker, maybe radio?) should be usable unless something has changed.