SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 10-03-2013, 06:53 PM
Sage User

Sage wont start after power outage

Had a short power outage this morning. Afterwards Sage wont start. It gets hung up on the startup screen were it says "SageTV Service Initializing" and goes no further. I've been working on this now for two hours with no luck. So far I have tried a system restore to an earlier point. I have tried a "repair" reinstallation of Sage. I have even tried uninstalling and reinstalling from a new download. I'm hoping somebody her has some ideas because this is a big night and a new season for my wife's shows. Please help!
Bob
Old 10-03-2013, 08:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobhaze View Post
Had a short power outage this morning. Afterwards Sage wont start. It gets hung up on the startup screen were it says "SageTV Service Initializing" and goes no further. I've been working on this now for two hours with no luck. So far I have tried a system restore to an earlier point. I have tried a "repair" reinstallation of Sage. I have even tried uninstalling and reinstalling from a new download. I'm hoping somebody her has some ideas because this is a big night and a new season for my wife's shows. Please help!
Bob
Try temporarily disabling the service and just start the Sage TV UI. If it starts ok then you can exit it and re-enable the service.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:17 PM
Sage User

That goes all the way through to where it says "user interface manager is initializing", then the Sage TV screen goes away and the UI never comes up. Does this give any clue?
Old 10-04-2013, 06:26 PM
Sage User

ok, somehow I got the UI to start, I don't really know how. But after many restarts it finally seems to work again. Now i find I lost my EPG! So now to fix that. Hopefully that will be relatively straightforward.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:35 AM
Sage Advanced User

Last time I had an issue like this one of my tuners driver was corrupt. Thus it was listed in Device Manager, and without error, but it would freak out Sage. I uninstalled the driver, installed again and all was well again.
NOTE: If this is the problem, do not change anything in Sage, reinstall the driver.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:23 AM
Sage User

Bob, been there done that a long time ago with Sage having problems after power problems. Solution: UPS. Get a nice big one, ensure that you install the monitoring program that comes with the UPS, sit back and enjoy computer happiness.

I have had multiple UPS's all over the house now for a good 10 to 15 years. As such, my electronic problems have all but disappeared. At least here in Oklahoma, we have a good 3 to 4 "power switches" from the power company everyday that you can visually see with lights momentarily dimming or flashing instantly. That is hard on all this modern (and cheaply built) stuff.

Since putting my stuff on UPSs, I have not had any computer power supply problems at all unlike before when I would have one power supply die per computer at least every other year....for sure every third year. Note I also now run Corsair and Seasonic power supplies too.

For the record, I try every year to shut my SageTV server down, and clone EVERY hard drive on the machine to a new hard drive. Yes, that has saved my butt twice to far. Particularly on the main "c" drive. Nothing better than a clone.....plug and play.....done.

For all this ranting, please, I do urge you to consider putting a good UPS on your sage box.

Now I could devote another wonderfully long thread on lightening protection and your local network, but I think you get it. An ounce of protection........

Bob E.