SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-22-2004, 08:49 PM
Sage User

Newbie - Multi Tuner Setup?

I would like to create a system with 2-3 tuners mostly to be able to record multiple shows simultaneously. What I'd like to know is do I have to set each card with it's own channel list or can I set one set of channels and have Sage determine if multiple cards are needed to resolve recording confilcts? I experimented a little some time ago and set up 2 tuners each with it's own list and the resulting guide showed each channel and program twice. I thought this was rather annoying and was hoping to avoid it.

Make Training Just Like Bloody Battle,
So Battle Seems Just Like Bloody Training.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:02 PM
Administrator

Re: Newbie - Multi Tuner Setup?

Quote:
Originally posted by KingOfSwords
What I'd like to know is do I have to set each card with it's own channel list or can I set one set of channels and have Sage determine if multiple cards are needed to resolve recording confilcts?
I can image that if, somehow, channel 3 on one tuner was CBS, but ch 3 was CNN on the other tuner, for example, you would get 2 listings for channel 3.

Normally, you set up each source, including its EPG lineup, and SageTV handles which card is able to get which channel and tunes them appropriately as needed for each recording. It will determine which tuner is needed to record each channel, and will note conflicts if/when they arise. The LiveTV guide will show the listings for each channel you can receive on all your tuners. If the same channel is on multiple tuners, it would be listed once. When you decide to watch/record a show, the tuner to be used will not be a decision for you; SageTV handles that itself.

At least, that has been my experience...

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:04 PM
Sage User

So, if I simply have 2 tuners both connected to cable with the exact same lineup, I should only see 1 listing?

Old 06-22-2004, 10:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by KingOfSwords
So, if I simply have 2 tuners both connected to cable with the exact same lineup, I should only see 1 listing?
Yes. I have that setup -- 2 tuners, both with the same EPG Lineup setting. When I view the LiveTV Guide, I see 1 row for each channel, not 2.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:14 PM
Sage User

Interesting. Thanks. When I tried it out before, that's not what happened, but I'll mess about again.

Old 06-22-2004, 11:53 PM
Sage User

Hmmm....I seem to be having difficulty connecting to the SageTV servers to set my channel info...I live in Canada so I am using the Datadirect plugin. I just installed a second tuner. Is there a way to set the service provider and channel info for the new card in the Sage configuration file to match my original tuner?

Old 06-23-2004, 12:04 AM
SageTVaholic

you will have to just give it some time
it was slow the first time I got my listings for Southwestern Bell Cable but when I went to get my DirecTV guide Data, it was very fast

so it is just takes time with the smaller companies and this only happens the first time

Also I running two tuners with two different sources

DirecTV, and Southwestern Bell Cable
I have the DirecTV connected only to one tuner and Southwestern Bell connected to both

And I still only have one guide and made sure not to have the same channel listed twice

Southwestern Bell is only for Locals and DirecTV is for everything else
(it was the locals that were causing most conflicts so that pretty much solved my problem only have a few now)

If I got another DirecTV box for Sage, I would be fine but I heard they only support one serial connection at a time
Old 06-23-2004, 08:30 PM
Sage User

Well, when I try to enter 00000 as the zip I get an error about my internet connection not being available when it is, and when I try and use the previous 00000 zip the whole thing seems to hang.

Old 06-23-2004, 08:40 PM
SageTVaholic

try doing this close sage and remove the properties file and its back up
put them on your desktop
you will have to do all the setup wrok again but their could be a problem with it
you are saving the properties file and its back up in case this does not help

and try to set everything up again and see if that works

if this does not work either you can close sage not sleep of course and just move the files back into the folder and overwrite the old ones
this only gets you back to where you were before though

you could also try uninstalling sage but save those two files and delete the whole frey directory otherwise and try that if nothing else you can get back by over writing the new property file and back up with the old one and do the same for the wiz bak and bin in this case so save those as wel on your desktop

I hope one of these helps
Old 06-23-2004, 09:52 PM
Sage User

Regarding the 2 tuners in one computer, the experience I have had is that basically it will list the channel twice. I am using a splitter on a single analog cable feed without using the channel data from Sage.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:41 PM
SageTVaholic

that is probably why but not sure
I use the guide data
is there a reason you do not want to ?
Old 06-24-2004, 01:36 AM
Sage User

Okay...I had to reinstall, but it now seems to work...I have 3 tuners each with the same guide data resulting in a single listing. I tried messing around with the merit of each but I'm not sure it worked. I have a PVR250-15, eHome Wonder, and a Blackbird. I wanted the ehome to have the lowest merit but it always shows up second in the list of tuners on the setup wizard page.