SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 04-11-2013, 05:04 AM
Sage Advanced User

V6 UI for V7

Finally upgraded to V7, but there may be a problem when my 4 year old sees the new interface in less than two hours. He got pretty good clicking around V6 to put his morning videos on, but V7 will definitely confuse him.

I know there are bigger problems in the world than this, but if there were a customization that makes V7 look more like V6, it would my my life as dad a little easier. Did a quick look around, and nothing obvious popped out, so if you can either tell me this doesn't exist or point me in the right direction, I would be very grateful. Thanks.
STV 9.1.5.683 / Vista Premium / Compaq Presario SR-5550F / AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400 / nvidia GeForce 8400GS / 3 GB DDR2 / 500 GB SATA / 1 TB SATA / M2N68-LA Motherboard / Hauppauge HVR-1250 / Hauppauge HVR-1600 / 2 x STX-HD100 / OTA / Channel Master FLATenna 35
Old 04-11-2013, 06:42 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardATeller View Post
Finally upgraded to V7, but there may be a problem when my 4 year old sees the new interface in less than two hours. He got pretty good clicking around V6 to put his morning videos on, but V7 will definitely confuse him.

I know there are bigger problems in the world than this, but if there were a customization that makes V7 look more like V6, it would my my life as dad a little easier. Did a quick look around, and nothing obvious popped out, so if you can either tell me this doesn't exist or point me in the right direction, I would be very grateful. Thanks.
You can load the V6 STV just load it is built in not sure if plugins work though. Go to advanced ... Set full ui pacakage.... go up 1 directory go into the SAGETV3 folder and load the SageTV3.xml.

Last edited by nyplayer; 04-11-2013 at 06:44 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:53 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardATeller View Post

the v6 UI (Called SageTV3) is still there and fully functional on the v7 software - however, you lose all the new features of v7 (the plugin system, mainly), as that it part of the v7 UI.

I will say, that in my experience, young kids adjust to the change a LOT faster than adults. My 5 and 6 year olds adjust very easily to my constant tweaks and changes, and the youngest was able to do so at 4, before she could read. I will say the many fanart options in the new UI make kids navigation a LOT easier.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 04-11-2013, 09:54 AM
Sage Expert

He's young... he'll probably learn v7 faster than you will.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Yea, my family got used to the new interface very quickly. The upgrade from v6 to v7 was not at all an issue for us.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

I agree with everyone on the fact that it will pose no problem whatsoever to your 4 year old. No fear of change.

A couple of days ago, a lady walks into our store to get a screen fixed on her notebook. Her kid is standing in front of a Windows 8 AIO on display, just looking at it. I walk over and tell him to touch the screen. His mom says, "he cant read, he's only 5". Two minutes later, he's got the Fresh Paint app open and has already painted a tree, water and sun... all by himself

Grant
Old 04-11-2013, 07:38 PM
Sage User

I just got mine up and running too and thought that the UI was too "different" But after 4 days I really like it and the plugins feature is AMAZING!

The only issue I've come across is that I have the old "Standard Def" Hauppauge MPVs and V7 seems a tad laggy in the menus. But once you begin watching TV they work great!

Ricky
Dell Inspiron 530 desktop, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8 ghz, 6 gigs of RAM, 1 WesternDigital 750 gig hard drive partitioned in 75 gig/675 gig, 1 Seagate 2 TeraByte Hard drive: 1 HDHR Prime-CC, 1 Hauppauge HD-PVR with Hauppauge 45 button remote with blaster to control 1 Explorer 4640HDC, Windows 7 64bit SP1 all updates applied, SageTV 9.1.7.757, Java v1.7.0_79, SageTV Webserver v3.3, SageTV Mobile Web Interface v2.1.0.47, 2 Hauppauge MediaMPVs & 1 Helius MPV.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:59 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the helpful replies. Since I had to go back to sleep and needed to ensure there wouldn't be a scream, I just rolled back to V6 for now, but it's good to know I can run V7 with the V6 UI since I'm getting a HDHR Prime, which I guess requires V7.

NOTE: After I posted the above, I thought, WTH, let's just try it now. Worked like a charm. V7 with the V6 UI seems faster than V6 alone. If I need the plugin functionality, I can go back to the V7 UI temporarily.

Thanks again.
STV 9.1.5.683 / Vista Premium / Compaq Presario SR-5550F / AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400 / nvidia GeForce 8400GS / 3 GB DDR2 / 500 GB SATA / 1 TB SATA / M2N68-LA Motherboard / Hauppauge HVR-1250 / Hauppauge HVR-1600 / 2 x STX-HD100 / OTA / Channel Master FLATenna 35

Last edited by EdwardATeller; 04-12-2013 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Followed Advice