SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:27 PM
Sage Expert

I first installed "HD PVR 2 Windows driver version 1.3.31041" and later installed "HD PVR 2 Installation CD Windows Driver, WinTV application, ArcSoft ShowBiz Software and Utility update hdpvr2setup_1_6_31045.exe" both downloaded directly from their website. I ended up uninstalled some of the programs they install that related to adding a custom watermark on videos and for uploading stuff to the web (don't need that). That basically just left the drivers and Arcsoft program.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:56 AM
Sage Expert

After playing around a little more, I noticed that the Arcsoft software has two HDMI input options (it looks like one of them is just the "highlighted" option, but in fact there are two selection options). Apparently, one option only records in stereo AAC and the other records in AC3 5.1. So I was able to get an Arcsoft recording with 5.1 via HDMI only (unless this is just another name for the SPDIF input). There is still no SPDIF/Optical input option in the Arcsoft software though.

This may explain why Sage isn't getting 5.1 sound. Sage might be selecting a default stereo mode for the HDMI input with AAC stereo only. I suspect that Sage's programming would need to be changed especially for this tuner to make it work properly.

I tried using the 1512s in stereo HDMI mode for a while to see how stable they are in Sage. It turns out, not very stable (at least with native resolutions). After several channel changes, at least one of the tuners lost all sound and would not recover it until I power-cycled it. Another seemed to lock up after a few changes and would not record anything new until I power cycled it.

At this point, I think I'm done with these. It's clear that there are major issues with the 1512s and with Sage. Since Sage won't ever be updated, I don't see much hope in the 1512 ever working properly.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:11 PM

Can you post a screen of that (one option only records in stereo AAC and the other records in AC3 5.1)
Old 02-28-2013, 07:10 PM
Sage Expert

Here you go. I took several captures of the Arcsoft software showing both HDMI audio options and the same channel being set to either option. Note that there is no "SPDIF" audio option, but I also included a capture of the original HDPVR and that does have the SPDIF option.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hdpvr1512-hdmi-2.jpg (170.8 KB, 296 views)
File Type: jpg hdpvr1512-hdmi-3.jpg (184.4 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg hdpvr1512-hdmi-1.jpg (200.4 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg hdpvr1stgen-spdif-1.jpg (165.1 KB, 227 views)
Old 02-28-2013, 10:55 PM

Hmmm So how did AC3 show in 1st hdpvr1512-hdmi-2 screen but then end lossen it or did automatic switch.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:15 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_Attorney View Post
After playing around a little more, I noticed that the Arcsoft software has two HDMI input options (it looks like one of them is just the "highlighted" option, but in fact there are two selection options). Apparently, one option only records in stereo AAC and the other records in AC3 5.1. So I was able to get an Arcsoft recording with 5.1 via HDMI only (unless this is just another name for the SPDIF input). There is still no SPDIF/Optical input option in the Arcsoft software though.

This may explain why Sage isn't getting 5.1 sound. Sage might be selecting a default stereo mode for the HDMI input with AAC stereo only. I suspect that Sage's programming would need to be changed especially for this tuner to make it work properly.

I tried using the 1512s in stereo HDMI mode for a while to see how stable they are in Sage. It turns out, not very stable (at least with native resolutions). After several channel changes, at least one of the tuners lost all sound and would not recover it until I power-cycled it. Another seemed to lock up after a few changes and would not record anything new until I power cycled it.

At this point, I think I'm done with these. It's clear that there are major issues with the 1512s and with Sage. Since Sage won't ever be updated, I don't see much hope in the 1512 ever working properly.
sad...you'd think Hauppauge would know Sage is still tied to their product line.
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 03-01-2013, 08:18 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
Hmmm So how did AC3 show in 1st hdpvr1512-hdmi-2 screen but then end lossen it or did automatic switch.
I had to manually switch between the two HDMI options from the menu (the AC3 version and the AAC version). It didn't automatically switch anything.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:19 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
sad...you'd think Hauppauge would know Sage is still tied to their product line.
From what I can tell, 99% of the people that buy Hauppauge encoders these days are gamers. It seems like those are their primary customer and the only ones they really care about.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I had to manually switch between the two HDMI options from the menu (the AC3 version and the AAC version). It didn't automatically switch anything.
Oh I see HDMI so both are label the same
No what I thinking once you turn on DD on Cable/Sat Box then HD-PVR Should automatic switch what is I was think
Old 03-01-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
From what I can tell, 99% of the people that buy Hauppauge encoders these days are gamers. It seems like those are their primary customer and the only ones they really care about.
So true even NextPVR, MCE and other are starting to fail.
It would have been great if Google had keep the PC end going
Old 03-01-2013, 03:52 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Oh I see HDMI so both are label the same
No what I thinking once you turn on DD on Cable/Sat Box then HD-PVR Should automatic switch what is I was think
Dolby Digital is always on for my receivers. I don't remember seeing two HDMI options when I first started playing around with the 1512, so maybe it is the optical SPDIF showing up as HDMI. I'll test it this weekend. There is another person on the Hauppauge Facebook page that was unable to get 5.1 from his Directv receivers via HDMI, so it sure seems like there is something weird going on with their 5.1 functionality.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Dolby Digital is always on for my receivers. I don't remember seeing two HDMI options when I first started playing around with the 1512, so maybe it is the optical SPDIF showing up as HDMI. I'll test it this weekend. There is another person on the Hauppauge Facebook page that was unable to get 5.1 from his Directv receivers via HDMI, so it sure seems like there is something weird going on with their 5.1 functionality.
there's no way to select "auto" for your receivers decoding, so that the DD5.1 doesn't light up if it detects Pro Logic?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 03-01-2013, 05:14 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
there's no way to select "auto" for your receivers decoding, so that the DD5.1 doesn't light up if it detects Pro Logic?
Well, the Directv receivers do automatically handle this. For example, some commercials are only in stereo and will switch from DD5.1 to 2.0 (I can see this happen on my audio receiver when using the first-gen HDPVR). But almost all Directv HD channels are DD5.1 with the occasional exception of low-budget local commercials.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:51 PM

I'm talk them about that what you posted that help a lots see the screenshot now I have better under standing of what your seeing and what going on so I keep you posted on what I fine out.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:53 PM

I put in a Req for one those new 1512 so I can help get thing up runing.
Said part I have to find a way get a coax to optical converter when get here.
I was told the second HDMI setting is for the optical audio input. This is one of the things we need to fix on the Showbiz app.

Last edited by SHS; 03-01-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:29 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
I put in a Req for one those new 1512 so I can help get thing up runing.
Said part I have to find a way get a coax to optical converter when get here.
I was told the second HDMI setting is for the optical audio input. This is one of the things we need to fix on the Showbiz app.
On Hauppauge's Facebook page they also confirmed that Showbiz has a "bug" that makes optical SPDIF show up as a second HDMI audio. So that confirms that SPDIF is getting 5.1 sound and HDMI isn't, for some reason. Didn't the Colossus have 5.1 problems over HDMI too? SHS, were you ever able to get 5.1 over HDMI with your Colossus working?
Old 03-02-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
On Hauppauge's Facebook page they also confirmed that Showbiz has a "bug" that makes optical SPDIF show up as a second HDMI audio. So that confirms that SPDIF is getting 5.1 sound and HDMI isn't, for some reason. Didn't the Colossus have 5.1 problems over HDMI too? SHS, were you ever able to get 5.1 over HDMI with your Colossus working?
Yup I point that out to them on facebook.
Yes I had 5.1 over HDMI with the Colossus in tell the dumb a$$ add HDCP carp to the movie channel I guest check on it just make sure it still there I think the Sony channel is still open
Old 03-02-2013, 08:18 PM
Sage Expert

I suspect this might be a handshake issue. My receiver is an h21, which is a bit old at this point. It seems to be the only explanation left.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I suspect this might be a handshake issue. My receiver is an h21, which is a bit old at this point. It seems to be the only explanation left.
That a possible it your old receiver
I did check a few and show I do get 6 channel AC3 in MediaInfo but that dumb ass Showbiz not work in Capture Mode all I hear is pop/click then off is the problem you see with in Arcsoft Showbiz?, I test out SageTV with Colossus and HDMI and DD on the receiver
Old 03-03-2013, 12:12 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
That a possible it your old receiver
I did check a few and show I do get 6 channel AC3 in MediaInfo but that dumb ass Showbiz not work in Capture Mode all I hear is pop/click then off is the problem you see with in Arcsoft Showbiz?, I test out SageTV with Colossus and HDMI and DD on the receiver
My server doesn't have any speakers so I don't know if the audio captured with Showbiz is pop/clicking. I should probably check that out. I didn't get any audio clicking when I used the 1512 with Sage, just the audio "lockup" where the 1512 stops recording any sound with the video.