SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-08-2013, 11:03 AM
Sage User

Registered trial won't start

After several years, my WHS unit died. Couldn't find my license key but Sage was kind enough to send me my numbers last night. I had installed the trial of Sage onto my desktop and used that while waiting for the key numbers. Unfortunately the trial expired 3 days ago and the program wouldn't fire up. (this was presumably what it should have done)

I input the key numbers this morning, got the message that it was happy with them, but the program still doesn't fire up. Any ideas what am I forgetting?
Old 02-08-2013, 12:00 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrophenia View Post
After several years, my WHS unit died. Couldn't find my license key but Sage was kind enough to send me my numbers last night. I had installed the trial of Sage onto my desktop and used that while waiting for the key numbers. Unfortunately the trial expired 3 days ago and the program wouldn't fire up. (this was presumably what it should have done)

I input the key numbers this morning, got the message that it was happy with them, but the program still doesn't fire up. Any ideas what am I forgetting?
Try rebooting PC.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:14 PM
Sage User

yep, did that a couple times. I forgot to write that into my original post.

I should probably add that I am on Windows 8 on the desktop. The trial was happy with it though, so it seems like the registered would be as well.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Make sure you disable the service before trying to register it. So, stop and disable the service in SageTVService.exe, make sure sagetvservice.exe and sagetv.exe are both not running via task manager, then run:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\SageTV\SageTV\SageTV.exe" REGISTER
to clear out any old registration information. Then register normally by running sagetv.exe, and entering the key at the prompt.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 02-08-2013, 04:05 PM
Sage User

Thank you for the reply ... but no luck. The only thing I could find via Task Manager is a Sagetv under services. It was stopped, but I disabled it as well. Rebooted. Ran the command you listed. That popped up a register window. Entered my original key number. It took it happily. Attempted to run Sage and got the 21 day popup. This was expected since I still needed to put in the Sage 7 upgrade number. Did that and now nothing happens when I attempt to open the program.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Is it giving you a message about a bad key? or is it just doing nothing?

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:28 PM
Sage User

Just does nothing. Both key inputs were followed by a Key valid and stored (something like that) But the program just doesn't start, no message of any kind. I get the little circle like the computer is thinking about it for just a half second or so but nothing opens up.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:21 PM
SageTVaholic

That' doesn't sounds like a registration issue then. might try renaming/removing the sage.properties and wiz.bin files and see if it comes up then.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:40 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to wbarber69 Send a message via AIM to wbarber69 Send a message via MSN to wbarber69 Send a message via Yahoo to wbarber69
In order to stop the service you have to stop it from sagetvservice control exe under the app folder in start menu or in the sagetv programs folder.

Also have you updated java recently. This can cause the same problem

Last edited by wbarber69; 02-08-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:43 PM
Sage User

renamed both those files. rebooted and no change. Should I uninstall and reinstall or is that unlikely to make a difference?

oops, didn't see wbarber's ....I went into windows services ... it was stopped there. I then went to properties right in the services list and disabled it.

I think there was in fact a java update in the last week or so? (not positive on that one)

Last edited by Quadrophenia; 02-08-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:51 PM
Sage User

update: tried to run sagetvservicecontrol and sagetvservice from within the sagetv folder and those two exe's didn't seem to run either.

Is there a way to return java to an older version? (other than system restore. )
Old 02-08-2013, 06:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Yeah, just uninstall the latest version from the normal windows control panel, and install the older version.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:41 AM
Sage User

Geesh, nothing is making any sense. Going back to an older java was pretty confusing thanks to Oracle, so I actually did do a system restore to the 5th. Windows was reporting that the last restore setting was actually due to a java update and that is also about when Sage quit working. (I knew I was approaching the end of the 21 day and hadn't heard back with my numbers at that point. So I just thought it quit since the trial had run out)

Anyway, restored overnight and when I started Sage, I got a "you have only 4 days left" plugged in my numbers and it wouldn't start. So my trial period is not actually done. Then I realized I should have tried starting it under the trial before plugging in the key. Duh!

So, another restore to the 5th again. Fired up Sage, got the 4 day left trial message. And it wouldn't load up. Uninstalled Sage with Revo Uninstaller, deleted any remaining Sage folders, made sure the service was gone, rebooted, reinstalled Sage, won't run.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:24 AM
Sage User

Got it working!

Best I can tell, it was in fact a java problem. After more installing and uninstalling and yet another restore point. I wasn't sure where to go. In the process of checking the java versions, I found that while I update automatically, it actually had never gone to 7. Figured what the heck and brought java all the way up to date. Sage loaded! hehe, who knows sometimes!

Thank you very very much for your efforts and help!
Old 02-09-2013, 10:45 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrophenia View Post
Got it working!

Best I can tell, it was in fact a java problem. After more installing and uninstalling and yet another restore point. I wasn't sure where to go. In the process of checking the java versions, I found that while I update automatically, it actually had never gone to 7. Figured what the heck and brought java all the way up to date. Sage loaded! hehe, who knows sometimes!

Thank you very very much for your efforts and help!
You should always make sure that Java is not set for Auto Update. Sagetv needs to be completely shut off before updating Java. You can set it to download and notify you but never to update automatically.