SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations > Batch Metadata Tools
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Batch Metadata Tools This forums is for discussing the user-created Batch Metadata Tools for SageTV.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:55 AM
Sage Advanced User

Options for Special Episodes?

I've finally broken down and begun renaming my media to one of the accepted standards, and things are generally going better with BMT finding the correct metadata for my files.

Now I understand that BMT does not handle special episodes. Fine. But two questions about that:

1) In some cases a "special" episode will be marked as episode number 0 (zero) in thetvdb, for example an un-aired pilot or a pre-season summary of last season. Will BMT pick these up?
filename example: "Title S01E00.mkv"

2) Is it possible to manually create the metadata for the file - description, actors, etc - so that it displays just like scraped data and will not get wiped out by subsequent scrapes or fanart updates? If so, how is this done?

Any help appreciated...
RLW
Old 12-04-2012, 12:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phydeaux View Post
I've finally broken down and begun renaming my media to one of the accepted standards, and things are generally going better with BMT finding the correct metadata for my files.

Now I understand that BMT does not handle special episodes. Fine. But two questions about that:

1) In some cases a "special" episode will be marked as episode number 0 (zero) in thetvdb, for example an un-aired pilot or a pre-season summary of last season. Will BMT pick these up?
filename example: "Title S01E00.mkv"

2) Is it possible to manually create the metadata for the file - description, actors, etc - so that it displays just like scraped data and will not get wiped out by subsequent scrapes or fanart updates? If so, how is this done?

Any help appreciated...
RLW
1. No.

2. Yes. You can use BMT and just edit the metadata manually.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Just to give a scenario for #2 where editing worked fine, I had to do some serious editing when I imported my Firefly Blu-ray. Fox originally aired the episodes out of sequence, so the automatic lookup pulled that information. But, I wanted it in Sage with the sequence originally intended, so I had to do a lot of manual editing/matching of the metadata. But, it worked perfectly.
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7
Old 12-04-2012, 01:33 PM
Sage Advanced User

1) OK, fair enough.

2) OK, so just let BMT scrape these files, then go in and manually correct all the information. Easy enough. If I update the metadata for a TV series containing one of these manual files again in the future, will my work not be overwritten? Sometimes, especially when a new TV program is recorded, thetvdb will contain no episode description or a very brief one which is then updated a few days or weeks later. Although I can update just the one media file, sometimes a whole series can have updated descriptions when some fan takes the time to add more detail...

RLW
Old 12-04-2012, 01:50 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phydeaux View Post
1) OK, fair enough.

2) OK, so just let BMT scrape these files, then go in and manually correct all the information. Easy enough. If I update the metadata for a TV series containing one of these manual files again in the future, will my work not be overwritten? Sometimes, especially when a new TV program is recorded, thetvdb will contain no episode description or a very brief one which is then updated a few days or weeks later. Although I can update just the one media file, sometimes a whole series can have updated descriptions when some fan takes the time to add more detail...

RLW
If you force a scan, with "overwrite', then yes. Otherwise, it shouldn't re-update the data... and even if did try, it will fail, and therefore it won't get updated. So, you should be safe.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

Perfect. Crystal clear - thank you Sean.

RLW
Old 12-08-2012, 10:10 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
If you force a scan, with "overwrite', then yes. Otherwise, it shouldn't re-update the data... and even if did try, it will fail, and therefore it won't get updated. So, you should be safe.
I'm having the problem (Posted elsewhere too) of overwritten metadata once I've manually changed specific items. This happens on a refresh within the webui or a restart of sage.... Where can I check this/these settings so it leaves alone what I've already fixed?
Old 12-08-2012, 10:41 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikesquid View Post
I'm having the problem (Posted elsewhere too) of overwritten metadata once I've manually changed specific items. This happens on a refresh within the webui or a restart of sage.... Where can I check this/these settings so it leaves alone what I've already fixed?
I don't think BMT is responsible for this... since BMT won't undo/overwrite changes unless you explicitly tell it to. I'm not sure how you can fix this.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:02 AM
Sage Aficionado

There's an option under configure/phoenix/advanced fanart called 'Update Metadata and Fanart' thats just a blank box, the help bubble doesn't say what the valid inputs are? Says Data Type - button, Description -Update metadata and fanart for items that do not have existing fanart and metadata.... While it doesn't sound related, what are the valid inputs?

I know I had the same problem a couple years ago and 'fixed it' but just can't find what I did.... Thanks for lettin me know it's not in bmt, that'll cut down some of the head banging.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:45 PM
Sage Icon

You need to not have creation of properties files NOT disabled if you want to ensure that metadata is not overwritten.

In sage.properties
update_external_properties_files_on_metadata_changes=true

John
Old 12-08-2012, 04:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by JREkiwi View Post
You need to not have creation of properties files NOT disabled if you want to ensure that metadata is not overwritten.
I love it. Had to read that more than a few times before I got it... ... truly awesome use of... one,... two,... three,... four (counting disabled) negatives...

I saw that option in the properties file but I guess it just seemed paradoxical to set an option to update to true when in fact I'm trying to stop it from updating... well stop it from over-writing anyway.

But, works as described, thanks!

I owe you a whisky!
Old 12-08-2012, 07:10 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikesquid View Post
I love it. Had to read that more than a few times before I got it... ... truly awesome use of... one,... two,... three,... four (counting disabled) negatives...
Why be positive, when there's an option to be negative. (Oops, been reading to many forum posts). But if all I wrote was

To prevent metadata being overwritten.
In sage.properties, set
update_external_properties_files_on_metadata_changes=true

then where would all the fun be.

I think I did erroneously throw in an extra negative, it really should have been.
You need to have creation of properties files NOT disabled if you want to ensure that metadata is not overwritten,
or more positively ...
You need to have creation of properties files enabled if you want to ensure that modified metadata is retained.

John

Last edited by JREkiwi; 12-08-2012 at 07:18 PM.