SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

HD200 No HDMI

I seem to have lost HDMI output on my HD200

I know the HDMI cable is working.
I have the settings set to output to HDMI.
I have the resolutions set to the correct ones supported by my monitor.

But I can't get any video

Any ideas?
Old 10-02-2012, 10:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjames View Post
I seem to have lost HDMI output on my HD200

I know the HDMI cable is working.
I have the settings set to output to HDMI.
I have the resolutions set to the correct ones supported by my monitor.

But I can't get any video

Any ideas?
Sorry, no ideas to fix it. I had the exact same issue with my HD200 about a year ago. So it was banished to the bedroom and connected to an inexpensive 32" flat screen via the component cables. Been working in that mode for a year now. No further issues, and the picture is still pretty good.

Bobby
Old 10-03-2012, 08:15 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyDing View Post
Sorry, no ideas to fix it. I had the exact same issue with my HD200 about a year ago. So it was banished to the bedroom and connected to an inexpensive 32" flat screen via the component cables. Been working in that mode for a year now. No further issues, and the picture is still pretty good.

Bobby
That's actually pretty close to my situation. HDMI died so I went composite. At the time I really didn't do much troubleshooting but yesterday decided to see if I could replace my 42" TV with a small computer monitor to save space. I did a hard reset last night without success.

What's strange is composite works even if I configure video out as HDMI. I may have read that composite is always active, can't quite remember.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:30 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
That's actually pretty close to my situation. HDMI died so I went composite. At the time I really didn't do much troubleshooting but yesterday decided to see if I could replace my 42" TV with a small computer monitor to save space. I did a hard reset last night without success.

What's strange is composite works even if I configure video out as HDMI. I may have read that composite is always active, can't quite remember.
Have you tried the automatic supported HDMI resolution detection? Run in standalone mode via composite/component by pressing video out until you see something, then go to video setting and set to hdmi, you'll be prompted to autodectect the HDMI resolution supported, say yes, (of course you have to have the HDMI connected to your TV as well), save the settings, hard reboot the extender.

EDIT: Forgot to ask...is it the video output completely black from the time you give power to the extender, or after the logo? If after the logo there is the possibility that the ".properties" file of the extender got corrupted, so switch the extender off, wait at least 30 seconds so that sage server will update the ".properties" file of the extender, then to delete it along with the backup file, then power up the extender again.

Eddy

Automatic Power Off | Squeezeslave | DVB-S Importer | DVB Decrypter & Card Client | Tuner Preroll

Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit. ~ Elbert Hubbard

Last edited by routerunner; 10-03-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:57 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks Eddy for the ideas...
Quote:
Originally Posted by routerunner View Post
Have you tried the automatic supported HDMI resolution detection? Run in standalone mode via composite/component by pressing video out until you see something, then go to video setting and set to hdmi, you'll be prompted to autodectect the HDMI resolution supported, say yes, (of course you have to have the HDMI connected to your TV as well), save the settings, hard reboot the extender.
I tried that but don't get prompted for HDMI resolution detection? As soon as I select HDMI, I get a screen asking me what resolutions are supported.
Quote:
EDIT: Forgot to ask...is it the video output completely black from the time you give power to the extender, or after the logo?
When power is off to the HD200, the screen is blue. When I plug in the HD200, the screen remains blue. After a few seconds the TV says no signal detected.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:03 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I tried that but don't get prompted for HDMI resolution detection? As soon as I select HDMI, I get a screen asking me what resolutions are supported.
Are you saying that there isn't a dialog asking you to perform the autodetection (quite annoying for me actually), I think that's because the HD200 doesn't detect a TV connected to the HDMI...

Eddy

Automatic Power Off | Squeezeslave | DVB-S Importer | DVB Decrypter & Card Client | Tuner Preroll

Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit. ~ Elbert Hubbard
Old 10-03-2012, 10:18 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Are you saying that there isn't a dialog asking you to perform the autodetection (quite annoying for me actually),
That's correct no dialog asking to perform auto detection.
Quote:
I think that's because the HD200 doesn't detect a TV connected to the HDMI...

Eddy
Yup, that's the problem

I replaced the HD200 with one I had elsewhere, using all the same cables. It worked exactly as I expected and it gave me the HDMI auto detection prompt when I switched from HDMI to composite and then back to HDMI.

So yeah, the HDMI port on my HD200 doesn't work. I did a hard reset. I don't know if there is anything else that can be done or settings I'm missing or some other arcane thing to try?

Dave
Old 10-03-2012, 01:35 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
So yeah, the HDMI port on my HD200 doesn't work. I did a hard reset. I don't know if there is anything else that can be done or settings I'm missing or some other arcane thing to try?
Do you recall whether you or someone else in the household switched off the extender by removing the power supply or if it was in a permanent circle of death and you powered off by removing the power as well? I think the HDMI transmitter is not broken, but has a wrong setting in the flash, you could try the factory default reset procedure, I never had to do it myself, but I think is written in the manual and consists of keeping pressed a button on the remote control whilst hard power cycling the extender...

Also, did you have a custom resolution in your ".properties" file, like the 24fps setting in order to have a perfect BlueRay playback? Some people does (I do), but that is not officially supported by SageTV and the extender could potentially get stuck there.

Have you tried to delete the ".properties" file I suggested?

Eddy

Old 10-03-2012, 01:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Do you recall whether you or someone else in the household switched off the extender by removing the power supply or if it was in a permanent circle of death and you powered off by removing the power as well? I think the HDMI transmitter is not broken, but has a wrong setting in the flash, you could try the factory default reset procedure, I never had to do it myself, but I think is written in the manual and consists of keeping pressed a button on the remote control whilst hard power cycling the extender...
Prior to the problem originally happening, the power was not (to my knowledge removed), but I suppose it may. I did do the factory reset per the manual. Remove the power, hold the delete key and restore the power.
Quote:
Also, did you have a custom resolution in your ".properties" file, like the 24fps setting in order to have a perfect BlueRay playback? Some people does (I do), but that is not officially supported by SageTV and the extender could potentially get stuck there.
I've never done this.
Quote:
Have you tried to delete the ".properties" file I suggested?
Which properties file would I delete, there are bunch of them.

Eddy[/QUOTE]
Old 10-03-2012, 01:54 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Which properties file would I delete, there are bunch of them.
The ".properties" filename is made by the MAC address without colons of the relevant extender.

There two files with the same name but different extension the second file is the backup, please delete both, but before doing that, you must follow the instructions in post #4

Eddy

Old 10-03-2012, 04:20 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
The ".properties" filename is made by the MAC address without colons of the relevant extender.

There two files with the same name but different extension the second file is the backup, please delete both, but before doing that, you must follow the instructions in post #4

Eddy
I deleted the properties file associated with with the MAC address of the HD200. I then plugged it in and the problem still exists. One weird thing is a new properties file wasn't created?
Old 10-03-2012, 05:06 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
One weird thing is a new properties file wasn't created?
They are normally created when soft power off after about 30 seconds. Please try this:

- In standalone mode please make sure to enable only the HDMI resolutions that your TV definitively supports.
- Make sure in the Setup -> advance settings menu to enable the force HDMI setting.
- Set your audio to HDMI PCM as well.
- During hard power cycle, press regularly the "Video Out" button waiting few seconds between presses.

There is also another thing that happened to me once, but I couldn't reproduce reliably, basically it appears that you need to have a valid connection to a composite TV and let it boot completely into sage first before attempting to switch to HDMI. What you could do is to have two monitors/TV, one connected via composite to make sure that everything is working as expected and the other to HDMI and trying with the "Video Out" sequence. This weird behaviour happened when I was helping KryptoNyte for his DTS audio pass-through issue on HDMI and couldn't get the HDMI video working, but after connecting composite together with HDMI I finally managed to perform the switch.

Is like you have to boot completely into composite first as this is the factory default before attempting to switch to HDMI or component, as the server has to write the properties file and everything must be consistent, so if the above doesn't work, try to set the video and audio mode to the default composite/analogue, let the extender boot into sage completely then soft power on in standalone mode and then switch mode to HDMI.

If still no luck, then I'm sorry, but I run out of ideas.

Eddy

Last edited by routerunner; 10-03-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:08 AM
Sage Advanced User

routerunner - Thanks for your ideas. Unfortunately all for naught. Nothing seems to revive the HDMI port. I'm back to using my TV. I really do appreciate you trying to help thought. Thanks again.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:38 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
routerunner - Thanks for your ideas. Unfortunately all for naught. Nothing seems to revive the HDMI port. I'm back to using my TV. I really do appreciate you trying to help thought. Thanks again.
I'm terribly sorry to hear that...

Old 10-19-2012, 10:51 PM
Sage User

I found this thread while trying to figure out why one of my HD200's won't output HDMI anymore. I have another HD200 and an HD300 that work fine.

The HD200 will only work on one TV with 1080p, but after a power reset, the 1080p fails and reverts back to 480i. On the TV it's normally connected to, I can only see the SageTV splash screen, and after that there's no HDMI output at all - pressing the Video Out does not find a resolution that's acceptable. I've tried the same instructions posted above to no avail. I think the HDMI output on it is hosed.

What are the odds something like this is fixable?
Old 11-03-2012, 11:22 PM
Sage User

Mine HDMI on my 200 went out a long time ago and SageTV replaced it with a refurb free of charge even though I was significantly outside of the warranty. I'm afraid those days are over.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:13 PM
Sage Expert

Do all you guys have the "Force HDMI" setting turned ON?