SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 10-06-2012, 07:50 AM
Sage User

Smile Weather

Awesome Job Andy! Love the animated maps for sure.
I did notice the loss of icon next to the temp on the main homepage. Not sure if it is just me or an opportunity for later.

Either way... Great work. Love to see the interest coming back.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:39 PM
Sage User

OK. Maybe I'm a bit out of touch. I just updated the STV file today. I understand there is a plugin to update. Where do I find it and how do I install it?

At this point in time the weather is broken. I enter my US zip code in the Weather Underground settings and it doesn't recognize it. My YouTube does not return any videos.

I'm sorry if this is very basic I don't recall ever having to update a plugin before.

Thanks.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:35 AM
Sage Advanced User

+1 - Haven't tried YouTube yet, but Weather Underground shows "no city found" for everything that I've tried (name, postal code, zip code of the city across the border from me)...

NM - got it all working again - thanks, Andy!!! I re-read back through some pages and saw that I needed to update the plugin - strange, I am normally notified of plugin updates. Went through my list of installed plugins and lo and behold - Google Weather had an update available. Updated it, restarted Sage and boom! Back in the game!

Last edited by can3gxw; 10-07-2012 at 06:28 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:34 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHuisingh View Post
OK. Maybe I'm a bit out of touch. I just updated the STV file today. I understand there is a plugin to update. Where do I find it and how do I install it?

At this point in time the weather is broken. I enter my US zip code in the Weather Underground settings and it doesn't recognize it. My YouTube does not return any videos.

I'm sorry if this is very basic I don't recall ever having to update a plugin before.

Thanks.
Go to Setup->SageTV Plugins -> All Plugins. (Or installed client or server plugins depending on how you are set up). Under the "Library" tab you will find the plugin "Google Weather". It probably tells you at this point that there is an update available. Simply update it and you should be good to go.

Thomas
Old 10-07-2012, 10:15 AM
Sage User

Google Weather

I did the update to 2.0 but still, the weather setup does not recognize my zipcode or city/state. Is there another plugin I need?
Old 10-07-2012, 10:38 AM
Administrator

To use the weather update, you have to be using SageTV v7.1.9, the STV needs to be updated, and the GoogleWeather plugin needs to be updated. After installing/updating the plugin, you should restart SageTV. Make sure all of those are done.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:42 PM
Sage Icon

Precipitation readout not working?

Thanks for the update Andy!

Has anyone else noticed that the Precipitation readout isn't working?

It has been showing -999.0 inches for both my primary and secondary locations since I installed the updates on Friday.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 10-07-2012, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
Has anyone else noticed that the Precipitation readout isn't working?

It has been showing -999.0 inches for both my primary and secondary locations since I installed the updates on Friday.
My understanding is that numbers like that just mean they had no data to report for that item. The documentation is lacking on exactly what can be returned for all those fields, so I just left most values as-is.

... either that or it is really, really dry by you and a lot of water evaporated there that day.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:07 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
To use the weather update, you have to be using SageTV v7.1.9, the STV needs to be updated, and the GoogleWeather plugin needs to be updated. After installing/updating the plugin, you should restart SageTV. Make sure all of those are done.

- Andy
As of the latest reboot this is what System Information shows:
Software Version: SageTV V7.1.9.256
Java Version: 1.7.0_07
Current STV File: SageTV7.xml (Version 7.1.9.10 October 5, 2012, Name: SageTV7)
Current STV Theme: Standard
Current STV file set version: 2012100501, MD5 prefix 2007f2
Online Videos version: 2012100501, MD5 prefix: 503d95
Online Videos updates are Enabled
Weather plugin JAR version: 2.0.0

This seems like it means it is set as it should be. Did I miss something?

Larry
Old 10-08-2012, 12:14 AM
Sage User

A follow up question: Is there another executable other than SageTV.exe that might be doing the querying for data (both for weather or online videos)? I know I had an issue lately where my ZoneAlarm firewall was blocking SageTV from getting the program guide. I set it to allow SageTV to act as a "Server" and it got the program guide updates from then on.

If another program is doing the querying I need to know which one so I can grant it the same permissions.

Larry
Old 10-08-2012, 05:16 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
My understanding is that numbers like that just mean they had no data to report for that item. The documentation is lacking on exactly what can be returned for all those fields, so I just left most values as-is.

... either that or it is really, really dry by you and a lot of water evaporated there that day.

- Andy
I'll have to keep an eye on it or try some other locations (I was looking at Detroit and Milwaukee areas). We did have some light rain on Friday and Saturday, though.

Perhaps the -999.0 is really more like a "data not available".
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 10-08-2012, 05:53 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHuisingh View Post
A follow up question: Is there another executable other than SageTV.exe that might be doing the querying for data (both for weather or online videos)? I know I had an issue lately where my ZoneAlarm firewall was blocking SageTV from getting the program guide. I set it to allow SageTV to act as a "Server" and it got the program guide updates from then on.

If another program is doing the querying I need to know which one so I can grant it the same permissions.

Larry
SageTVService.exe and possibly SageTVClient.exe.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:41 AM
Sage User

There appears to be a ZoneAlarm firewall issue with Sage. I turned off the firewall and went into Online -> Weather and it started working. Likewise with YouTube videos. I need to figure out what settings will allow Sage to work through the firewall. From what I can tell the SageTV.exe and SageTVService.exe have full access granted.

Larry

Last edited by LHuisingh; 10-08-2012 at 06:48 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:55 AM
Sage User

Quote:

- Andy
FWIW, I'm seeing exactly the same thing in the Los Angeles area. The report for the same station on the Weather Underground web site shows as 0.0 inches. Rain is predicted for later in the week, so I'll report back on the readings when (and if) that happens.

EDIT: A correction on the above: In my case it's actually the wind that shows -999.0. The Weather Underground display for that station shows a bogus value (19 mph when wind in the area is actually Calm). If the same station is selected on a map next to the station display it does show -999.0, however. So it appears that -999 is actually the raw data when there's something wrong with the data.

Last edited by jmonier; 10-08-2012 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 10-08-2012, 12:17 PM
Sage Aficionado

Weather Alert Icon In Title Bar

First, Andy thanks for your work on the update! It is awesome that the community is still alive and kicking long after the software has basically been 'killed' by Google. Hopefully, this is not too far off topic and is the right place to post. I noticed that when the temp is displayed in the title bar and there is a weather alert, a red dot shows next to the temp digits. Typically, I don't have the temp displayed in the title bar since I use Diamond. But with the temp widget being broken in Diamond currently, I was going to switch to the temp in the title bar. Here is my problem, every time I look at the red alert dot, I think that it is something is recording (and I am sure my wife will too). So, is there any way to either dismiss the alert or replace the existing icon with my own icon. I think a red triangle or something of the sort would be more suitable. Thanks for the replies.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Sage User

Final resolution!!!

I thought I should let you know that I have identified the actual source of my problem. It turns out that Java 7 has issues with some popular firewalls, including mine (ZoneAlarm). I chatted with ZA tech support and they pointed out this problem with Java 7.

I went back to Java 6 and now Sage and ZoneAlarm get along fine without having to reduce my firewall protection. I can now see YouTube and Weather.

In other words, if you have issues and you use a firewall make sure you are running Java 6. I have already left a problem report with Oracle about this issue.

I thought you all should know.

Larry