SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-11-2004, 09:42 AM
Sage User

Random hard lockup

When 2.0 works, it works well. But sometimes after a few hours or days during playback or live TV it locks my machine. Windows locks hard. There is no way to recover except restart the machine. This almost always occurs after a press of a button on the remote, sometimes when scrolling through the guide.

I have:
nForce 2 board with AMD 2500+
256M Ram
nVidia GF 4
PRV 350 using the remote
Tune-it-all software with IR blaster for Cband
SFF case
XP Home sp1

Could this be a problem with 350 overheating?

Steven
Old 06-11-2004, 09:57 AM
Sage Advanced User

I am having the same problem... this is after I installed a new 350 in the same server as my 250...

Follower
Old 06-11-2004, 10:46 AM
Sage Icon

follower, what motherboard are you using? The information you provide in your profile looks a lot like my server system. You may be having the same problem I am with the motherboard.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 06-12-2004, 04:19 PM
Sage User

I am having similar problems with a newly built D865GLC MB w/ a 2.80c processor. So do you have a workaround??
Old 06-12-2004, 04:35 PM
Sage Icon

I suggest you try the latest 350/250 drivers, New Hauppauge Beta Drivers for IVAC15/16 Combination . Still some problems, but solved a lot of the lockup issues for me.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 06-12-2004, 06:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via AIM to krutaw
Re: Random hard lockup

Quote:
Originally posted by toadtown
When 2.0 works, it works well. But sometimes after a few hours or days during playback or live TV it locks my machine. Windows locks hard. There is no way to recover except restart the machine. This almost always occurs after a press of a button on the remote, sometimes when scrolling through the guide.

I have:
nForce 2 board with AMD 2500+
256M Ram
nVidia GF 4
PRV 350 using the remote
Tune-it-all software with IR blaster for Cband
SFF case
XP Home sp1

Could this be a problem with 350 overheating?

Steven
This could definately be an over-heating problem. I put my nForce2 motherboard in a week ago, and haven't had a lockup since. I had gotten to where my system would lock up on almost a daily basis.

To eleviate the heat as a possible problem while I was still using an intel board, I added a fullsize case fan blowing directly on the PVR-350. I had to use some southern inguinity to get it in there just right, but a wire coat-hanger later, it does exactly what I want it to. . . LOL

Anyway, back to the question, I'd say it could be heat. Cool that bad boy down..

Andy Kruta A+, CNA, MCSA, Network+, RHCE

"It's kinda fun to do the impossible"
- Walt Disney
Old 06-12-2004, 07:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by carlgar
I suggest you try the latest 350/250 drivers, New Hauppauge Beta Drivers for IVAC15/16 Combination . Still some problems, but solved a lot of the lockup issues for me.
I installed this driver today and it seems to have helped...one scenario that almost always caused a lockup would be if I was watching a show and a new show would start to record. I have only one PVR card, it's the 350. Today I tested this scenario and it passed without issue....I also watched a whole tv movie and was about to pause, fast forward, rewind without a problem.

I thought heat was a culprit and though it may very well be a factor....I've been getting more and more lockups lately eventhough I've taken steps to cool down the card. I bought the stealth card cooler....and it keeps the 350 nice and room temperature. I think it was worth it just to provide good airflow over the card and it was inexpensive...I'm sure it helps with video playback. But with my immediate observations with the new driver, maybe its starting to look like a Hauppage driver problem. We'll see after a few days if things are still running smooth.

I was hoping the new driver would resolve my no video output after resuming from hibernation issue...maybe they'll fix that too with the final release. : )
Hauppage 350 Bundle = $220
SageTv = PriceLess

Last edited by Alex0230; 06-12-2004 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:03 PM
Sage User

I have installed the new driver and so far, so good. It has run 3 days recording and playing back on both the server and client. I thought it would be easier to try the driver than try a cooling solution. I have a small form factor cast and I dought I will be able to cool the card without changing to another computer. I only have one capture card. I hope this works.

Steven