SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-11-2004, 05:28 AM
Sage Icon

Recording shows in different Folders?

Hi, I was wondering if it is possible to record shows to different folders. I switched the default folder to one of my preference--say M:\my videos\tv\tv instead of the sage folder. If I keep the files recorded in there they will show up in the 'recordings' page, but once I move them to their respective folders--say M:\my videos\simpsons\simpsons --I lose all the recording information. So, I think I can set up more than one folder to record to in setup--detailed setup--general--recording folders (or something like that). But, how do I choose which folder to record each show to? Will I have to set the shows as favorites and then switch the folders from there? Will the files show up under recordings rather than me having to go into imported media? Or, is the easy answer the right one---I can't do it like that.
**I am a convert from showshifter and I couldn't do it with that software either. (thank god I found sage for all the obvious reasons though!!! My wife even thanked me for getting a more intuitive program for our HTPC setup. Money well spent.

later
JUC
Old 06-11-2004, 06:02 AM
Administrator

Re: Recording shows in different Folders?

Quote:
Originally posted by JUC
But, how do I choose which folder to record each show to?
You can't. SageTV automatically chooses where to save a recording, so you can't currently specify where each show is to go. Also, you can't move it once it is there, or else SageTV will stop tracking it with its show data, as you've seen. Hopefully, we'll gain more control over where recordings can be saved in some future version.

This FAQ entry has a little info on how SageTV manages recordings.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:57 AM
Sage Icon

Thanks, I figured as much--lets hope it can be done sometime in the near future.
later
JUC
Old 06-11-2004, 07:15 AM
Sage Advanced User

From a programmer's standpoint, this is my understanding of the video folder:

You can't rename files, add folders, or even add files to the video folder and have Sage recognize them...this is because the location of the folder and the contents should be transparent to the end user. It's like saying the user shouldn't know where the videos are stored (and shouldn't touch them), only know that they recorded videos. Then with saying that...you also say that: Only in the interface should it have some kind of logical organization (ie folders).

As most people eventually find out, if you need to add other movie files to Sage, there is the imported folders options. You wouldn't view these files through Sage Recordings but rather though the Media Library.

Narflex has told us that not to delete movies from windows "explorer" but rather in Sage, because it is architected to manage the allocated space as if the user never ever touches the folder. In the beginning of using Sage, I used to delete all the time from "explorer" and I would end up with Sage still seeing some video file fragments on the drive itself eventhough they weren't visible.

However this is all the current version of Sage and your request has been brought up and mentioned before....maybe it will be implemented in the next version of the program.
Hauppage 350 Bundle = $220
SageTv = PriceLess
Old 06-11-2004, 09:07 AM
Sage Fanatic

Re: Recording shows in different Folders?

Quote:
Originally posted by JUC
But, how do I choose which folder to record each show to? JUC
As previously stated you can't. Wish we could, but Sage not designed that way. When you specifiy multiple storage directories my understanding is Sage will use the first UNTIl it has less space available than the next specified directory then switch to it. Sage just records to the directory with the most space available from the directories it's told it can use. Weak method IMO, but that's what we have.