SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > SageTV Marketplace
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Marketplace This forum is to be used to buy/sell/trade SageTV hardware and software only.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:15 PM
Sage User

SageTV License and Hardware for Sale

1x SageTV 6 with 7 Upgrade Server License $40

1x SageTV 6 with 7 Upgrade Client License $25

1x MVP/Extender License $25

2x HD-200's $175 Each --- Both are SOLD

Last edited by lpitman; 06-13-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

You seem to have private messaging disabled...Ben
Old 06-06-2012, 08:54 PM
Sage User

Send a message via MSN to RickSharpe
hi lpitman,

I'm new to Sage, but it seems to work for me (pc with TV card, all recording and playback local to the pc). My demo license has just timed out and I'd like to buy a real one. Do you know if I need a client, server or both? I've been through all the docs, but it just seems to be one of those things that everybody just knows...

I'd like to buy your server lic if it will work for me...

Thanks,

Rick
Old 06-06-2012, 09:53 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSharpe View Post
hi lpitman,

I'm new to Sage, but it seems to work for me (pc with TV card, all recording and playback local to the pc). My demo license has just timed out and I'd like to buy a real one. Do you know if I need a client, server or both? I've been through all the docs, but it just seems to be one of those things that everybody just knows...

I'd like to buy your server lic if it will work for me...

Thanks,

Rick
It depends...

You need the SageTV Server license to record TV. You can also playback TV using the same computer if it is equipped with a video card, that has HDMI, etc connections. I started with only one computer for the SageTV recording and playback. If you have cable or satellite set top boxes, you will also need a device like a USB-UIRT.

The USB-UIRT transmits the IR signals to the set top boxes to change channels. If you use only one computer for SageTV, then the USB-UIRT is needed to receive your SageTV remote control signals to control the SageTV system.

The better way to setup SageTV is to have one computer setup with the SageTV Server software to record TV, and a separate device at each TV to playback the recorded video. Many people use HD extenders, such as an HD-200 or HD-300 to interface their TVs to the SageTV system. The SageTV Server records the programs, it streams over Eithernet cable to a media extender or SageTV client computer, which is connected to your TV and audio amplifier. If you use a media extender, the media extender receives the SageTV remote control signal and passes to the SageTV Server through the Eithernet cable.

Since the media extender hardware, such as the HD-200 or HD-300 might quit working sometime in the future, days to many years, it would be wise to at least own client licenses. You could then setup client computers at each TV if your media extender breaks in the future, and there are no media extenders for sale. Client licenses are cheap insurance to keep the system running in case your media extenders quit working in the future.

If any of this is still unclear, ask more questions.

Dave
Old 06-07-2012, 09:24 PM
Sage User

hi lpitman,

I'd like to buy your server license. What's next?

Rick
Old 06-07-2012, 09:26 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the very informative reply, Dave. Since Google got involved and the main website was taken mostly down, it's been tough to get info!

I'll pursue a server lic.

Rick
Old 06-08-2012, 10:24 AM
Sage User

Try sending me a PM with your email, and I will send you a message. All items are still available.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:11 PM
Sage User

not enough permission??

the "jump to PM" item tells me that I don't have enough permission to be there....

use rsharpe@charter.net
Old 06-09-2012, 07:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Make one more post and your PM status may change. It use to be 5 posts before you get the ability to use PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:58 PM
Sage Icon

The SageTV media center is the place to start. You'll find that the SageTV setup will work better if the SageTV media center computer is run "headless". The term "headless" means that the SageTV media center computer is running unattended, usually in the basement or an out of the way room. The media extenders, such as the HD-200 and HD-300 connect to the SageTV media center computer through the network Eithernet cable.

When you are using SageTV with a "headless" server, then when you are using each TV, all you see is a tiny media extender box that is silent. The media extender box is hooked up to an Eithernet cable and to the TV and audio amplifier. One media extender is needed for each TV. The remote control signals are received by the media extender and goes to the SageTV server through the Eithernet cable. You can move a media extender from one TV to another during the day, but that becomes old very quickly. I used to do that years ago.

Before I had my first media extender, I had the SageTV computer connected directly to the TV. It was kind of a hassle because I had to have the USB-UIRT aimed so I could use the remote control and the same USB-UIRT could change the set top box channels.

The best way to setup a media extender is to buy a HD-200 or HD-300. Don't bother using a MVP extender. The video and audio quality is lousy. The MVP only plays back mpeg2 format. If you record in other formats, the computer has to transcode into the mpeg2 on-the-fly. If the computer does not have enough processing power, the video and audio stutter, which is very annoying. The newer HD-200 and HD-300 play the variety of video formats directly without the need for the computer to transcode the video file on-the-fly.

The reason to own several SageTV client licenses is for insurance, or if you want to build up a mini-computer at each TV instead of the HD-200 or HD-300. If you buy a HD-200 today, it may work for months, years, or maybe more than a decade. If it fails, and there aren't any HD-200 or HD-300 extenders for sale anywhere at that time in the future, then you are stuck. If you had a client license, you could build up your own media extender using a mini-computer. It may be more expensive than an HD extender, but it would solve the problem with the broken media extender. If you did not buy a client license, you would have to image the mini-computer back to a pre-install state, and install the trial client version. You would have to go through the re-install process every 21 days for years or more than a decade.

The whole PVR situation might change in the future. But SageTV has been frozen in time for a year now and nothing comes close. At the rate things are going, it could be five or ten years before there is a solution that is better than SageTV that is still frozen in time. Google and Apple are both working on a PVR solution. There is so much money that is just waiting to be made. Either company could drastically multiple their company size. People would look back and be amazed how tiny they were in 2012. But both are treading water and failing. There's no news that is going to change soon. So, I think the best approach is to stick with something that works, and works better than anything else. Maybe "someday" there will be a better solution than SageTV, and you might actually see the solution if you live long enough!

Dave
Old 06-09-2012, 10:02 PM
Sage User

Thanks Dave!

I've had SnapStream, and have been using it to record things for several years. I've been burning DVD's or more lately USB sticks to get shows on the big TV upstairs (even though it's internet, it;s not LOCAL NET!). Snapstream seems to be going in a different direction, and they don't support my new TV card.

I think that a HD200 or 300 is just what I need. I'll do a little research.

I think that Sage is a great product, and I hope it survives Google.

Thanks,

Rick
Old 06-12-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpitman View Post
1x SageTV 6 with 7 Upgrade Server License $40

1x SageTV 6 with 7 Upgrade Client License $25

1x MVP/Extender License $25

2x HD-200's $175 Each --- Both are SOLD
Hello.

Are the 2x HD-200's $175 Each still available by chance?

I will purchase today if so.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:50 PM
Sage User

No hardware left just License Keys.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:49 AM
Sage User

Need 1 Client License and 1 Placeshifter License

Hey lpitman,

I'll buy your Client license and a Placeshifter license if you have one.