SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-12-2004, 02:05 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally posted by kny3twalker
Yeah I got john mad when I explained there is a work around if you really want to do VMR9 (with 3d accel) when using cyberlink decoder non ATI
I got off topic because his problem was with sonic
I have never seen that before with other decoders
but I thought something was not releasing the decoders (like another application was using them) that why my last statement was to disable TT from starting with the computer and restart
actually, can you go into detail on that? I thought I tried every permutation. Are you saying I should try:
- VMR9
- enable 3d accel
- Cyberlink decoder?
Old 06-12-2004, 03:07 PM
SageTVaholic

no not at all
all I was saying is that normally the cyberlink decoder gives you the active window
but I found a work around for that one
I never experienced this with other decoders so I doubt it would work in this case

this is the work around to do it and it is not going to help you at all
but sure got john mad when I referenced this before

if you want to do VMR9 with cyberlink decoder non ATI
I figured out a work around I believe but it is worthless

install beyondTV and use the cyberlink decoder in it with 3d acceleration or what ever it is called
the video plays back about a couple frames per second but cyberlink non ATI can do VMR9
then close beyondTV and open up sage choose VMR9 with cyberlink non ATI decoder and it will do the same thing a couple frames per second but not quite as poorly a beyondTV but still worthless
it only works once though try it the second timme and you get the active window

but it is funny

HAHA just a little in site that powerDVD can do VMR9
but anyways
and the reason I kept referring to non aTI cause the ATI version of the cyberlink decoder does VMR9 just fine

again this is not going to help
it is just chatting about another issue
Old 06-12-2004, 03:10 PM
SageTVaholic

back to the subject
can you try uninstalling TT(theatertek) and use another decoder to see if the problem is recreated
also try disabling or closing powerstrip
I see both of you are using it
see if the problem is still there after that

do them one at a time though
Old 06-12-2004, 04:44 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by IVB
actually, can you go into detail on that? I thought I tried every permutation. Are you saying I should try:
- VMR9
- enable 3d accel
- Cyberlink decoder?
What worked for me on Debi's PC was Sonic decoder (w/VMR9 & 3D enabled ok). Cyberlink with 3D enabled caused ActiveWindow to popup. I'm currently also using the Sonic decoder on my main HTPC w/VMR9 & 3D enabled. (I like those see through transparent menus ) The Nvida decoder also works fine on my main HTPC BTW...
Old 06-12-2004, 04:48 PM
SageTVaholic

yeah that work around was just for cyberlink
sonic and all other decoders work fine in my situation as well
Old 06-12-2004, 10:11 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally posted by mdmint
What worked for me on Debi's PC was Sonic decoder (w/VMR9 & 3D enabled ok). Cyberlink with 3D enabled caused ActiveWindow to popup. I'm currently also using the Sonic decoder on my main HTPC w/VMR9 & 3D enabled. (I like those see through transparent menus ) The Nvida decoder also works fine on my main HTPC BTW...
Ok, still no love for me. When I turn VMR9 on, with Sonic & Intervideo & Cyberlink codecs:
- with 3d accel on, it works fine on startup, but when I sleep it and restore, it comes up with a fully black window instead of the sage window
- with 3d accel off, it works fine on startup, but when I sleep it and restore, ActiveMovie comes up.

My plan was to take out the ATI9000 and put in a 9800 pro, I wonder if I should try that one of these days to see if that has any impact.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:17 PM
SageTVaholic

you try disabling powerstrip?
Old 06-12-2004, 10:39 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by IVB
Ok, still no love for me. When I turn VMR9 on, with Sonic & Intervideo & Cyberlink codecs:
- with 3d accel on, it works fine on startup, but when I sleep it and restore, it comes up with a fully black window instead of the sage window
- with 3d accel off, it works fine on startup, but when I sleep it and restore, ActiveMovie comes up.

My plan was to take out the ATI9000 and put in a 9800 pro, I wonder if I should try that one of these days to see if that has any impact.
As ugly as it sounds, this sounds like a typical Windows screwy issue which will never be cured without an HD wipe and clean install. I highly doubt going from ATI9000 to 9800 will do it since it works fine on Debi's PC with a lowly Radeon 7000! (also fine on main HTPC Client Radeon 9600)

A spare IDE HD can be had for less than $30 bucks for such purposes. At least the 20G I use for ghost backup of my HTPC Client HD was less than $30... Sure it's only ATA100 and 5400RPM, but who cares. It's not for main usage. In your case it'd be for testing without having to wipe out everything on your HD before confirming OS the actual issue...

One last thing you might try is uninstalling all apps, including Sage, related to PVR, uninstalling all DVD codecs, uninstalling ATI drivers! (Updating ATI drivers can cause weird seemingly unrelated problems.) Then install latest ATI drivers first, install rest as usual.
Old 06-13-2004, 12:35 AM
Sage User

Yeah,

I tried all of those configurations and it did not help......

I get the SAME exact situation as IVB.

This is a 2 week old install on a full re-formatted drive.

I REALLY don't want to do it all over again............

BTW, Tried powerstrip disable and reboot------no go.

John
Old 06-13-2004, 12:47 AM
Sage Icon

johnf - i thought your issues were fixed by sleep?

My situation is that it's all good, UNTIL i sleep - then everything goes south.
Old 06-13-2004, 01:02 AM
Sage User

No IVB,

My machine acts just like yours.......

When Sage is started for the first time.............it auto-tunes to a channel and the ui is still available....... When I put it to sleep and reopen it, the activemovie window opens, and the UI is not available unless I alt-tab and switch from the activemovie window to the sage window. Then the UI is fine on that window........

John
Old 06-13-2004, 01:07 AM
Sage Icon

johnf/mdmint/kny: What version of Catalyst drivers are you running? I'm grasping at straws, but I really don't want to reinstall as I just don't see what it'll do - my system is about 6 weeks old, so it's also pretty cherry.
Old 06-13-2004, 01:10 AM
Sage User

I've tried both the 4.5 and the 4.6 released last week.

John
Old 06-13-2004, 01:49 AM
Sage Fanatic

Hmmm. Question, maybe obvious maybe not, has this ActiveWindow problem ALWAYS been present or did SageClient at one time work properly? I mean, before adding things like Powerstrip etc which I have not. Since atleast Johns Client config is almost identical to my main HTPC Client which doesn't and has never manifest this symptom (Johns just a bit faster XP+ and more RAMM and clone ATI Radeon) I've got to believe it's not an inherent Sage issue.

Starting another fresh install may be ugly but... may be no other option. And install nothing except the bare essentials first before any performance enhancing apps/tweaks.

BTW, I'm on ATI Cat4.5, haven't d/l the latest recent release and won't be anytime soon. (If it works don't fix it!) And if I do decide to rest assured I'll have both an XP Restore point AND ghost image of current working config before I do!
Old 06-13-2004, 04:39 AM
SageTVaholic

I am always running current drivers on my systems
I always keep them up to date
but did not see that radeon came out with new drivers
so I am running 4.5
strange that nothing corrects this
sorry I was not of more help

have you both tried searching the forum for this
I know you will find the cyberlink issue
but you may also find a clue towards your solution

john sorry to get you confused but even now mdmint has said the same thing
I know I hate to do it as well
but sometimes it is easier if it fixes the problem

if you do, do it
start off with the basics

basic system drivers including video, audio, chipset, pvr card, then java and sageTV
if it does not do this after the basic install keep installing everything and reboot after each and test sageTV

you will find out if it was a fluke or if something is causing a problem

I can throw out more ideas but I hate for you to waste your time(cause I doubt they would work anyways)
Old 06-13-2004, 10:39 AM
Sage Icon

ActiveMovie window has always been present on this machine, but it's only 6 weeks old.

I've got another HTPC with SageClient and a different mobo, which I'm going to try as soon as I get a free moment [big family committment weekend]
Old 06-13-2004, 02:29 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by IVB
ActiveMovie window has always been present on this machine, but it's only 6 weeks old.

I've got another HTPC with SageClient and a different mobo, which I'm going to try as soon as I get a free moment [big family committment weekend]
While a clean installation is a good test, and may well be necessary, I don't believe it's your Asus A7N8X-E Dlx causing the problem since my main HTPC Client has that sysbrd and hasn't had the problem.

I asked earlier but didn't see a reply, are you running, I believe it's the current, DirectX 9b?
Old 06-13-2004, 03:28 PM
Sage User

I am running DX9b. I just reinstalled it from the Microsoft website yesterday. No change. Also ran DXDIAG and everything checks out OK i it.

WMP9 also can play the MPEGs without the activemovie window problem...as can Theatertek play DVDs with the Sonic decoders.

John
Old 06-13-2004, 05:07 PM
Sage Fanatic

Well if it was me experiencing the problem, and other people with identical hardware configuration were not, here's what I'd do whether I liked it or not:
1) Either backup current HD or start with a different HD, I have spares so it'd be the later.
2) Remove all PVRs and any other non-essential hardware from system (in other words NIC, HD, Video card, DVD only)
3) Blow away all partitions if exist on HD
4) Create new OS partition
5) Format OS partition
6) Install WinXP Pro
8) Update all XP critical updates
9) Update to latest ATI driver
10) Install DX9
11) Install PVR and latest drivers
12) Install Sonic codec pack
13) Install new d/l of SageClient
14) Run Client and config to see PVR and Server etc
15) Config Client VMR9, Sonic decoder, 3D enabled and see if it works as it should. Put Client to sleep. Wake 'er up and see what happens

Then if it is working as it should set a new XP Restore Point, next backup the HD (I'd ghost it) Then and only then add anything else to the system.

If the above does not work let us know. This'll be my last suggestion until you do the above.

BTW, what is your video output method? What res are you running? For apple to apples config I'm running 720x480 on my Client.
Old 06-13-2004, 05:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
BTW, what is your video output method? What res are you running? For apple to apples config I'm running 720x480 on my Client.
this was my thought as well
I wonder if it is an issue where the video output is being ran at a very low resolution
maybe you could try 800x600 or 720x480 and see if they give any better resolutes if you are using lower resolution than this