SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:26 PM
Sage User

HD 300 WOL to HP Microserver WHS 2011

Hi all,

I have an EX495 huming along with WHS1 to be used for SageTV, MyMovies, Playon and HD PVR. Life is good and it works - WAF is high.

Unfortunately, the HP Homeserver line is discontinued and WHS1 OS likewise - ultimately, there will be a life after EX495 and WHS1. Therefore, I have started building a test rig to get familiar with a potential EX495 replacement, namely, the HP Microserver N40L based on OS WHS 2011. I have DrivePool addin to compensate for lack of DE and it seems to do the trick - loaded with 4 TB of movies no issues at all. So far, I have SageTV and http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56541 MyMovies working like a charm.

My issue I that I cannot get the N40L to wake up WOL from the magic packet sent from my SageTV HD300 extender. It continues to sleep, ZZZzzzz! However, I also have PC Monitor installed on the server and from there I can WOL (LAN and WAN) without issues. I have been experimenting with the WOL settings on the network driver under Device Manager at no avail.

Any ideas why WOL can wake the server from PC Monitor but not from my SageTV HD300?
Old 03-20-2012, 10:06 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by beda View Post
Hi all,

I have an EX495 huming along with WHS1 to be used for SageTV, MyMovies, Playon and HD PVR. Life is good and it works - WAF is high.

Unfortunately, the HP Homeserver line is discontinued and WHS1 OS likewise - ultimately, there will be a life after EX495 and WHS1. Therefore, I have started building a test rig to get familiar with a potential EX495 replacement, namely, the HP Microserver N40L based on OS WHS 2011. I have DrivePool addin to compensate for lack of DE and it seems to do the trick - loaded with 4 TB of movies no issues at all. So far, I have SageTV and http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56541 MyMovies working like a charm.

My issue I that I cannot get the N40L to wake up WOL from the magic packet sent from my SageTV HD300 extender. It continues to sleep, ZZZzzzz! However, I also have PC Monitor installed on the server and from there I can WOL (LAN and WAN) without issues. I have been experimenting with the WOL settings on the network driver under Device Manager at no avail.

Any ideas why WOL can wake the server from PC Monitor but not from my SageTV HD300?
I have two HP Proliant Microserver which I'm using it as file servers, but I switching them on by using the "AC power On" state in the BIOS and to be quite honest I don't remember whether there is a WOL setting in the BIOS available. A good test to see whether your WOL is set properly on your mobo is to use the fantastic depicus tools here which are renown to be the best WOL packet sender available and play with it until you can reliably WOL your server, then you can run a Wireshark on the new server and see what the HD300 sends to WOL, alternatively one of the depicus tool is a WOL listener that you can run on your new server and see what the HD300 is sending comparing on what PC monitor is sending.

Eddy

Automatic Power Off | Squeezeslave | DVB-S Importer | DVB Decrypter & Card Client | Tuner Preroll

Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit. ~ Elbert Hubbard

Last edited by routerunner; 03-20-2012 at 11:21 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-21-2012, 02:16 AM
Sage Icon

Just to confirm that there is definitively a set in the BIOS for WOL which keeps the NIC powered ON when the HP Microserver is powered OFF (orange LED). In fact, I noticed this morning that powering off one of my two HP Microserver the NIC stays OFF, hence when there is network traffic the green network activity LED on the front stays OFF, instead, when powering off the other system the NIC is ON and the front LED does flash green when there is network activity on the LAN.

Providing that the two systems are identical with the same BIOS version and OS then the only difference is the WOL setting in the BIOS. Unfortunately I'm not in the position to verify that because both systems are headless with very occasional access via Remote Desktop.

Automatic Power Off | Squeezeslave | DVB-S Importer | DVB Decrypter & Card Client | Tuner Preroll

Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit. ~ Elbert Hubbard
Old 03-23-2012, 10:26 AM
Sage User

Thanks for pointing me in a direction. It is kiddo's b'day during the weekend but I will try to find time to try out the suggestions. I will update the thread accordingly.

Tags
drivepool, hd300, n40l, whs 2011, wol