SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-06-2004, 07:46 PM
SageTVaholic

need a good way to do 64 KB without partition magic

I have 2 250 GB running now with a partition for windows on one
I have formatted one to 64 KN clusters but the other I cannot in management the 200GB separate from the windows partition
Yet if I right click the drive I can format it but there is no 64 KB option
Is there a registry hack to add 64 KB or am I stuck using partition magic for that drive that also includes a windows partition

250 OK 64 KB
200 my troubles
and 50 windows
Old 06-06-2004, 08:05 PM
SageTVaholic

try format drive: /FS:NTFS /A:64K
Old 06-06-2004, 08:18 PM
Administrator

You can't access the 64K cluster size option even when choosing to format as NTFS in Disk Management? That's strange. In Disk Management, do you have to set up an extended partition before formatting the rest of the drive? I usually use Partition Magic, so I never ran into missing the 64K option.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Thanks Stanger89
I was googling for a while
Old 06-06-2004, 08:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Yeah, I've seen it too, I was going to get a screenshot of the Format interface with 64K selected, but on my Laptop with XP Home the highest was 4096

I just gave up because I wasn't planning on formatting.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:44 PM
Administrator

I wonder if it is some difference between XP Pro & Home? My Windows drive is on an extended partition, with a blank primary partition in front of it (don't ask... long story). I just tried formatting that blank section & the 64K option was there.

- Andy

Edit: due to the post immediately below this one... you can safely ignore this idea.
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.

Last edited by Opus4; 06-06-2004 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:02 PM
SageTVaholic

actually this is PRO I have not changed my setup yet in sage sig
Old 06-06-2004, 09:35 PM
Sage Aficionado

Acronis PartitionExpert gives the 64K size option when formatting... They have really good prices on their products too..

www.acronis.com

Paul
Old 06-06-2004, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Partition Magic allows it too... but I think the whole point was to accomplish it using what kny3twalker currently had on hand w/o buying anything. stanger89 seems to have given a method & I was just curious why it wasn't showing up in Disk Management.

- Andy
Old 06-06-2004, 09:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

Without buying anything?

What fun is that? New tools are fun!

And, you can download tools from them just after buying them.. Their price is only $49, which is much better than Partition Magic's pricing... ($69 direct from symantec - which let's you download right after purchase too)

Paul
Old 06-06-2004, 09:58 PM
Administrator

I just noticed that if you own any Norton/Symantec product, you can buy any of the other consumer products at reduced prices. See their Upgrade Center.

For anyone thinking of buying one of these partition products... I have no idea which one is best. Seeing as I already have PM & it has worked perfectly for me, I'll stick with that one.

- Andy
Old 06-06-2004, 10:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally posted by Opus4
I just noticed that if you own any Norton/Symantec product
That's the reason I don't use DriveImage/Partition Magic any more, I can't stand DI 7. It's really a shame, since PowerQuest used to make some really great SW.

I'll throw in a vote of Acronis Partition Expert/True Image.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:33 PM
Administrator

I currently have DI7 & PQ8, which I think came out before Symantec bought PQ, but I'm not sure. I've never had a problem w/either one. Anyway... I would like to hear what you like better about Acronis. Always good to keep up with other options for future reference.

- Andy
Old 06-06-2004, 10:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Last DI I tried (7 I believe), had changed from standard DI, to V2I protector, and it seemed performance took a dump as soon as I installed it. I was to the point that I had to the V2I protector service, of course then you can't DI, so I'd have to go re-enable the service to image my drive. I then checked out the website some more and realize Symantec bought them and that was the end of it. (I've never liked Norton much).

I'd rate Acronis about the same as DI 6 (which I really liked). True Image can make an image with Windows running (DI can also), but I only realized recently (after running TI for a few months) that it has a service running also.

In all honesty, I've gone with Acronis as much because it's not Symantec as anything else (I've had some bad experiences with Norton in the past).
Old 06-06-2004, 11:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Yeah I have partition magic like 8 or something but then a friend recommended not using it
I did it before and it was really fast but he has just seen too many issues like what not sure but I do not have ghost so just to be safe on this new XP PRO install
Old 06-07-2004, 05:21 AM
Sage Aficionado

True Image is awesome.. Version 7 even let's you schedule image creation.. Create one full image per month, then incremental images for every other day, or however you want to do your backups...

And they even have it on special now for $39.99 (regularly $49.99) with this link:

https://secure.element5.com/esales/c...encies=USD,EUR

I think that special is only through Tuesday (or perhaps Wednesday - the email I got said one week and that was last Wednesday).

In fact, I just noticed that if you use that link, you can add Partition Expert to your order for $39.99, which is $10 off... I don't believe you can remove True Image from the basket though, you'd have to buy them both.

Paul