SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-06-2004, 05:38 PM
Sage Expert

Windows "sharing" issue

I hope it's ok to ask this here......

I have my PC's on a network. I do LOTS of downloading on my laptop, for all my PC's (drivers etc.....)

How do I get accsess to (my HTPC running sage) PROGRAM FILES and WINDOWS folders? There has to be a way. I downloaded and edited a bunch of fonts and station icons for sage, but of course they have to put in the sage folder, buried in the PROGRAM FILES folder.

I could throw them in the shared folders, but ever try to work a PC on 640x480i?

NEW: DELL OPTIPLEX 755, 4GB MEM, ATI DVIX (DUAL) VIDEO, PVR-1250MCE & PVR-500MCE, 1.3TB HDD's
Old 06-06-2004, 05:45 PM
Administrator

Do you have sharing turned on for your drives? Open Explorer, right click on the drive, select Properties, then select the Sharing tab. You can turn on sharing. But, I would make sure you have a firewall that keeps out outsiders. You can get fancier with sharing, but this gives you access to the whole drive.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-06-2004, 06:09 PM
Sage Fanatic

I'm guessing you have Windows XP or similar that is set up to protect you from yourself and even if you share the whole drive the Program Files, Documents and Settings, and Windows directories aren't shared to prevent replacing things with malicious code, which is how some virus/worms are spread.

I think to get around this you have to edit the ACL (Access Control List). XP pro lets you do this in the advanced sharing options. XP home you'll have to use the command line cacls.exe which is built in. I had to do this once about a year ago to be able to share eudora, but I don't remember much about it.

It would probably be easiest, just to move stuff to a shared folder.

Last edited by malore; 06-06-2004 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-06-2004, 06:30 PM
Sage Fanatic

With WinXP Pro on multiple machines it seems simple to have full, 100% file access of other machines, including Program Files and Windows directory. Heck, even hidden system files etc. Just logon as the same person with Admin rights. I can be at any PC, my main workstation or Laptop or Sage Server or Sage HTPC or Debi's PC and access anything anywhere. Atleast, it works for me... Of course shares are setup up for all drives with full access given. In fact, all except my laptop are set to auto logon as me with null password never expiring. Who needs logging into a HTPC when you turn it on! And Debi likes not having to enter a password to use her computer too. Me, I'm just lazy.

Yes, all behind router and firewall.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Maybe it is the fact that I have admin rights on both machines, but I never had to do anything other than turn sharing on for the drive in order to be able to access any directories.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:08 PM
SageTVaholic

You probably don't even need to turn sharing on. You can get to the c: drive at \\server\c$ and then use an admin account/password and you'll be able to do whatever you want on that drive.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:23 AM
Sage Expert

I can't stand passwords. I have XP home on all my PC, with NO passwords setup. I have enabled sharinig, but I can't share ALL the drive folders.

Since I built these PC's I am the only one to be listed as user, I am administrator as well.

I don't recall having these issues with networked win 98 or 95 machines....

NEW: DELL OPTIPLEX 755, 4GB MEM, ATI DVIX (DUAL) VIDEO, PVR-1250MCE & PVR-500MCE, 1.3TB HDD's
Old 06-07-2004, 08:01 AM
Sage Advanced User

I believe you need to disable simple file sharing. Then you should be able to share the Program Files Dir.

To disable Simple File Sharing on XP Pro:
Click Start -> My Computer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> View.
Scroll to the bottom of the list of advanced settings and un-check Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended).
Click OK.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Beau

EDIT: D'OH!!! I see you are using XP Home. Sorry, the above will not work for you as "Simple File Sharing is the only type of sharing available in Windows XP Home Edition."
Old 06-07-2004, 09:03 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
As long as you log in with your user, and administrator is a separate user, you can set the password for administrator and set your normal user to log in automatically. That way, you can access your machine's drives \\machine\c$ and use your administrator for the authentication "administratorassword" for remote desktop and network accessing of the drive.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...282866&sd=tech

Here's an article which lets you set it up for an account when there is a password and more than one user on the system.
http://www.tech-recipes.com/modules....ipes&rx_id=285