SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-03-2004, 07:40 PM
Sage User

Sage V2 and USB-UIRT: Erratic remote behavior

I was dissatisfied with the range on the Hauppauge IR receiver, so I added a USB-UIRT. Now I have range, but I also have some erratic behavior from my remote.
Most of the time, I get double the movement. (Hit Channel Up once, and it goes twice).
Sometimes, you hit it once and nothing happens until you hit the button again.

I've run through the Sage Command setup several times and even switched from the Hauppauge remote to a Tivo and even the Philips MCE remote - same result.

- Has anyone else run into this?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by aTvTinkerer; 06-04-2004 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:50 PM
Sage User

More details

Actually, I did have girder running for a while - just to control the volume on my amplifier. However, Sage is the intended processor for USB-UIRT activity.

Thinking that there was some interaction, I no longer run girder, but the problem still persists.

The Tivo remote I mentioned is actually a Sony DTivo remote.

I see the same problem with the Silver Hauppauge and the new Philips MCE remote.
I do have other remotes, but none with enough buttons to seriously conside using.

I had high hopes for the MCE remote.

I'm thinking that I might have a bad driver or a driver which is somehow conflicting.

This is really my only Sage TV problem. If I can fix, I'll be all set.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:47 PM
Sage User

I'm trying to setup the philips mce remote through the usb uirt. Using girder to control sage but am having the same irratic behavior. Is there a way around the rc5 thing? Does this mean I can't use the mce remote?

I get a little more controled use when using the mce receiver instead of the usb uirt but still not perfect and it doesn't allow me to pass volume controls to my amp.

Jared
Old 06-27-2004, 09:03 AM
Sage User

I haven't made any progress with this problem, but I haven't tried in a while. As flaky as the remote is, the famly still won't let me take it away for 'service'.
I found the same behaviour with a couple of other remotes, so I suspect some setup problem.

I recall reading a thread here which discussed the best choices for remotes and I thought that there were Sage users who had success with the Philips.

I have a new low profile case and motherboard, so I will be taking it to the workbench soon. While I have it there, I will take another whack at getting the remote situation fixed.
I'll post my results - either way.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:45 AM

I'm having the same trouble with the Streamzap remote in SageTV. It's just erratic. When I use SageTV, the remote will move 2-3 times and then just stop moving. Most of the time, if I hit another button (i.e.- I'm moving down the menu list, it stops, and then I hit up followed by down again), it works again. It keeps stopping off and on, though, and it's driving me nuts. When I use Windows Media Center 2004, I have no problems whatsoever with the remote. The light on the Streamzap IR receiver does continue to light up when a button is pushed, so I know the remote is receiving the signal. It just stops responding in Sage. This is on a brand new install of WinXP MCE and SageTV. The HTPC I'm using has the following:

AthlonXP 1900+
MSI KT3-Ultra ARU
512mb Crucial PC2100 DDR
WD 200gb HD
2x WD 10gb HDs (in RAID 0)
ATI Radeon 8500 64mb
Chaintech AV-710 sound card
Generic Firewire card (TI chipset)
Hauppage PVR-250 MCE
Panasonic DVD-ROM
LiteON 12x CDR
2Wire USB 802.11b NIC
Streamzap remote

This is really frustrating because I want to use Sage, but MCE is so easy for the wife, and there's no way I'll convince her to use Sage with this remote problem. HELP
Old 06-27-2004, 11:57 PM
Sage User

You can overcome this problem by programming both codes to on each button.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:45 PM

I'm not following you, gbutters... The sentence doesn't make any sense. Did you leave out a word between "to" and "on"? Could you clarify? Thanks!
Old 06-28-2004, 05:32 PM
Sage Icon

I had massive issues with UIRT & Girder, where my remote would send any of 1->5 codes per button push. I switched to a different remote and all looked good.

The first thing I would try to debug this is to use a different remote [my DirecTV Samsung one is the one that ended up being most stable]. This doesn't have to be your "production" remote, but the one you also code button pushes against to see if it also results in erratic behavior.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:10 AM
Sage User

Just learn each button in SageTV until you cycle through all of the codes.
Old 07-05-2004, 04:40 AM
Sage User

Ok, I've learned both codes from the mce remote to the usb-uirt, it's more predictable, but each press of the arror keys (up, down, left and right) cause 6 keyboard taps of that same key. I tried messing with the antirepeat function as per suggested from the girder site to no avail. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this one?

Thanks,
Jared
Old 07-05-2004, 12:17 PM
Sage User

That gml file is way complicated for a noob like me. Do I need to do anything to it to work with my setup? (all sage), I put it in and nothing. Do I need to add a different plugin? I'm using sendmessage and usbuirt plugins now.

Thanks,
Jared
Old 07-10-2004, 11:43 AM
Sage User

I've given up on the Philips MCE remote - just too erratic for FAF (Family Acceptance Factor).
I had the same result with my Sony dTivo remote. However, I found an old Radio Shack universal remote and programed girder for the few buttons that it had - great result!

So now, I'm sure that it has nothing to do with my setup and everything to do with my choice of remotes.
The Radio Shack remote doesn't have enough buttons to run Sage, so I'm off to Walmart and Best Buy to see what they have.

Art

Quote:
Originally posted by boardthis74
I'm trying to setup the philips mce remote through the usb uirt. Using girder to control sage but am having the same irratic behavior. Is there a way around the rc5 thing? Does this mean I can't use the mce remote?

I get a little more controled use when using the mce receiver instead of the usb uirt but still not perfect and it doesn't allow me to pass volume controls to my amp.

Jared
Old 07-12-2004, 06:21 PM
Sage User

I ended up getting a OneForAll model URC 6012 :

http://www.ofausa.com/remote.php?type=URC%206012
$12 at Walmart

It works quite nicely with very reliably behavior.

The default programing did not cover any of the components I had, so I was able to use it as is - I just needed to program the buttons in Girder to the Sage functions.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:32 PM
Sage User

I have that remote. Good remote, but didn't have all the buttons I wanted for sage. I did try setting it up in girder with the same problems. one push of the up/down/left/right button resulted in 4-5 presses of the keyboard. Can you maybe send your gml file? I bet I'm just not programming correctly.

Thanks,
Jared
Old 07-15-2004, 06:57 PM
Sage User

Here's my GML, if you (or anyone else) want to try.

I'm very pleased with the way it worked out for me.

Just make sure that you put the remote into Home Theater mode so that all the buttons work before programming.

Also make sure that Sage is not setup to intercept IR commands because this .gml assumes that the SendMessage plug-in is being used to communicate with Sage.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally posted by boardthis74
I have that remote. Good remote, but didn't have all the buttons I wanted for sage. I did try setting it up in girder with the same problems. one push of the up/down/left/right button resulted in 4-5 presses of the keyboard. Can you maybe send your gml file? I bet I'm just not programming correctly.

Thanks,
Jared
Attached Files
File Type: zip oneforall.zip (2.7 KB, 218 views)
Old 07-15-2004, 07:04 PM
Sage User

I was having this same issue. Here is the fix. I have the MCE remote, by the way.
Under your application control, lets use UP as an example, under Plugins, click on Target. You then need to check off ONLY SEND TO FIRST MATCH. Change the number 1 in the field to the right to 9. Done.