SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-02-2004, 05:26 PM
Sage Aficionado

Frequent freezes

Sigh, this thing is almost perfect. But not yet.

I'm encountering frequent freezes (every few minutes) on my Client box (don't know if it's also happening on the server, don't watch much there). Video and sound both stop, and I can't ff out of it -- the time index doesn't move when I ff. I can close the file and reopen it, and it starts from where it stopped -- but I'm doing this every few minutes. Doesn't seem to be correlated with anything I do.

Sound familiar to anyone?
Old 06-02-2004, 07:40 PM
SageTVaholic

yeah if you are using wireless
I do not know how you people that use wireless can do it
I know I am not running suoerg but wireless g is not fast enough and cannot do any distance for that type of data transfer

just another reason why I would like to have individual local media(do not care if the server will see this media) on a client
so laptops are not restricted to the local netwrok either wired or wirelessly
sorry to rant
Old 06-03-2004, 03:37 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via AIM to krutaw
Quote:
Originally posted by kny3twalker
yeah if you are using wireless
I do not know how you people that use wireless can do it
I know I am not running suoerg but wireless g is not fast enough and cannot do any distance for that type of data transfer

just another reason why I would like to have individual local media(do not care if the server will see this media) on a client
so laptops are not restricted to the local netwrok either wired or wirelessly
sorry to rant
I personally would like to see a multi-master system that would allow for the tuners to be distributed throughout the network without using the SageRecorder to utilize them. I mean, it would be worth having a PVR-350 in each room if I could have that kind of quality video output and put the load on several machines, and perhaps just keep the files in the same place.

On another note, I really wish Frey would move forward with the Media MVP client, cuz that's just cool. I mean, 100 bux for a decent client that's self sufficient (other than the tftp file.) Realistically, it's just darn cool.

Andy Kruta A+, CNA, MCSA, Network+, RHCE

"It's kinda fun to do the impossible"
- Walt Disney
Old 06-03-2004, 04:15 AM

Quote:
I personally would like to see a multi-master system
Amen to that.
And while we're talking BIG changes seperate the Core(recording) app from the UI(SageTV interface). This dovetails into a peer to peer setup. No more need for SageRecorder/SageClient setups. One setup from the user's perspective and a Core that can continue to function with the loss of the UI app or even another peer Core on the network. The Core could run as a Windows service, so logons aren't required. This would allow Sage to more easily restart itself if the Core or UI app did crash. All this would help stabilty, make Sage more redundant/versatile, allow for local storage, and make it easier for users to setup. It's a win, win situation. IMHO
Old 06-03-2004, 04:27 AM
Sage Aficionado

So y'all think this is a network issue? Hmm. That's surprising, because my client and server are connected by 100bT Ethernet. I'm bridging to a wireless network, though -- would that matter?

I also get occasional temporary freezes (a couple of seconds), followed by jerky video for a couple of seconds as the system seems to need to 'catch up'. But I'm not concerned about those at the moment. The freeze I'm trying to fix is permanent -- it lasts at least a minute, and that's the most I've been patient enough to test. And you can't fast forward out of it. Close file and reopen, and you're good for another couple of minutes until the next freeze.
Old 06-03-2004, 04:46 AM
SageTVaholic

probably the wireless issue I had to disable mine on the laptop when using client
I just want an MVP to work with the client I bought now
Old 06-03-2004, 11:08 AM
SageTVaholic

You may want to hard set your NIC settings to 100-Full. Also on the router/switch side. Leaving them at Auto sometimes causes issues when it tries to auto negotiate. Some work well. Some will connect at 100-half or less. Try this and see if it helps.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:32 PM
Sage User

Most of us (at least me) don't have managed switches at home to set to 100full. Do you think hard coding just the pc would do the trick?

I'm having the same issue and I'm running through 100M switches from server to client. One great switch and one not so great switch. I'll try hard coding the pc's to 100full, if that doesn't work, I'm thinking I'm going to have to pull a new line from my main switch to the living room.. grrrrr.

Jared
Old 06-07-2004, 04:32 AM
SageTVaholic

Just setting the client NIC may help the switch make a good 100/Full connection as opposed to autonegotiating and possible ending up with 100/half.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:49 AM
Sage Aficionado

Actually, my experience was exactly the opposite. I was getting bad stutter on my client, so I started experimenting with network settings. Set both server and client to 100/Full or 100/half didn't solve the problem. But setting both to Autonegotiate gave me smooth streaming to the client.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:26 AM
Sage User

I set them both to 100full and no difference. Could there be anything else that would cause a studder? I've not had very much luck with the network settings on devices. At work we set our cisco switches to 100full and then set the servers (dell) to 100full and get horrible connection. Set the servers to auto and it flies. I think it's something dell is doing though, because we have no problems with our hp servers.

Anyway, back to the sage. I can run via media player and MCE avi's from the server to the client with no problem, but with sage I get studders. Is this a bug? Or could it be a decoder issue? Hardware maybe?

Jared
Old 06-07-2004, 08:09 AM
SageTVaholic

At this point I would look at decoders. If they're set for default, set them to a specific decoder. Also look to see if your decoder supports DXVA and set it accordingly in Sage AND the decoder it self. (Some decoders have that in their config section-others need registry changes.) Also try the different renderers-Overlay, Default, and VMR9. Please try one decoder at a time and then the various configurations within Sage, the decoder and the renderer.

Gerry
Old 06-07-2004, 08:15 AM
Sage Icon

Using 100 half is the way to go. 100 full is slower in 1 way communication the half. Full is only good for things like database servers where 2 way communication is a constant. Since autonegotiate varies by MFG, most of the time its better to hard set both the port and the nic. I have also had times when using auto produced better results. Try both.

Grasshopper, whats your PC specs? Whats your Cpu usage at?
Old 06-07-2004, 08:45 AM
Sage Aficionado

Server is an ABIT NF7-S (nforce2), Athlon XP 3200+, 512mb ram, onboard NIC. Client is a Shuttle MN31N (also nforce2), Athlon XP 2200+, 512mb ram, onboard GeForce4 MX440 and onboard NIC. CPU usage on the client is about 55% using nvDVD codec and VMR9. My freeze problem seems to have resolved itself, but now I'm getting some stutter on the client. It's always something...
Old 06-07-2004, 08:50 AM
Sage Icon

55%???? I have a shuttle with an athlon 2700 with the same video card that runs at %16 to 17% with vmr and the nvdvd codec. Do you have this setup to clone to a monitor and PC? If so this is likely the casue.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:06 AM
Sage Aficionado

No, it's set up to drive a single display (27" monitor at 1024x768, 32 bit color). I'm using nvDVD 3.0 with the nVidia Video Post Processing codec, maybe that's the difference. I'd certainly entertain any suggestions for things to check if there's a way to get my system more efficient.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:12 PM
Sage Expert

Ahhhhhh. The Post Processor.

I am not networked but have tried using the NVDVD 3.0 post processor and have found that while I like what it does, it does not seem to like Sage.

The CPU consumption with VPP is about right. For me when using VPP, after a period of time, Sage just dies. No hs_err log. There is a Dr. Watson log on the crash but too cryptic for me to say much. I would give it a go w/o VPP and see what happens.

DFA
Old 06-07-2004, 02:33 PM
Sage Icon

Yep, try turning off the PP and see what happens.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

When I switch from the VPP to the vanilla nVidia codec, CPU usage goes down to about 16%. Thing is, I rather like what the VPP does for the picture, and the 55% is very stable, so I don't think it's spikes causing freezes. In fact, the freezes seem to have gone away, with the only serious unwatchability issue currently being the pause at the beginning of a show on the client.

But thinking about system utilization issues brings up a question: How much RAM should I allocate to my onboard video processing? Currently I have 128m of my 512 allocated to video -- would boosting that improve playback at all? I'm using VMR9, so maybe...?
Old 06-07-2004, 06:45 PM
Sage Icon

I douby memory will help. I have seen many complaints about PP causing stutter, even on top end systems.