SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Studio
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Studio Discussion related to the SageTV Studio application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the Studio software application should be posted here.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via MSN to steingra
How to extract this information for all my shows?

Does anyone have time to explain to me what the overall/general process is to retreive these fields of data for each of the shows that have been recorded in sagetv.

I hve done some programming before, but I am not even sure where to start with SageTV. I just want to read each media file from the sagetv database, and output these fields into a CSV file would be nice....then I can process the CSV file with many other tools....

Was hoping someone can point me in the right direction, and tell me what is the easiest and fastest way I could write a script or program to extract these files from sagetv, and then write into a csv file.

I am using sagetv version 6.6.2

Example of fields I want to extract for each show....
Aired: Oct 29, 2005 5:00 PM - 6:00 PM
Channel: 162-VH1
Encoded by: Hauppauge WinTV PVR USB2 Encoder DVD Long Play
Show ID: EP5067490001
Files: G:\mediacom\100GreatestOneHitWonders-872917-0.mpg
Size: 2.50GB

GetMediaFiles
public sage.MediaFile[] GetMediaFiles()Returns all of the MediaFile objects in the database.

// Simply media file test....
Object files[] = MediaFileAPI.GetMediaFiles();
if (files!=null)
{
System.out.println("Got Files: " + files.length);
Object mf = files[0];
System.out.println("Title: " + MediaFileAPI.GetMediaTitle(mf));
System.out.println("Runtime: " + MediaFileAPI.GetFileDuration(mf));
System.out.println("ID: " + MediaFileAPI.GetMediaFileID(mf));

If I got back a collection of all the media files, and then can pick and choose which portions of the mediafile object to use.

But the thing about all this is, that I want to have a client side program, that talks to Sagetv server, and asks it for this infomation. Then I can process it in my client side program and do what I need with it.

Is something like this even possible to do from a client side machine? I have visual basic 6.0, and visual studio.net pro 2005/and 2008

Thank you!!!!

Last edited by steingra; 09-04-2011 at 12:34 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:13 AM
SageTVaholic

Quick and dirty way would be to use either the sage web interface and download the list in XML format, or use the sagex extensions and pull them via an http call.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 09-04-2011, 11:32 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Quick and dirty way would be to use either the sage web interface and download the list in XML format, or use the sagex extensions and pull them via an http call.
Except that on SageTV 6 there might be limited options...
TbSageTV (1.02)/STVRemote (1.11): Monitor/control SageTV with a PlayBook 2
TiSageTV (1.64)/TiSTVRemote (1.09): Monitor/control SageTV with an iPhone/iPod/iPad
Old 09-04-2011, 12:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonceur View Post
Except that on SageTV 6 there might be limited options...
well, the web interface would still function, but yes, I'm not sure what capabilities sagex had with v6. EVERYTHING is easier in v7.. just saying..

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:06 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
EVERYTHING is easier in v7.. just saying..
I know and I totally agree. But then again, I'm still running Windows XP, so who am I to argue with slow adopters...
TbSageTV (1.02)/STVRemote (1.11): Monitor/control SageTV with a PlayBook 2
TiSageTV (1.64)/TiSTVRemote (1.09): Monitor/control SageTV with an iPhone/iPod/iPad
Old 09-04-2011, 01:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonceur View Post
I know and I totally agree. But then again, I'm still running Windows XP, so who am I to argue with slow adopters...
The difference being win7 would cost money... sagetv7 would not...

Old 09-04-2011, 08:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via MSN to steingra
I am running Windows XP SP3. And will until I am gone.... I am running Sagetv version 6.6.2, and dont plan on upgrading anytime real soon, too many irons in the fire already.

And I read through the Sagetv studio, and it just seeeeems way too top heavy for learning, when I only need a one time data extraction to get this information on my 1000+ shows I recorded.

I also read thru directions about that sagex extensions. But it seems way too complicated and too involved, just for a one time query that I need to run here.

AND, I dont want to screw up my sagetv server by installing software for a one time only situation, because its back up and running nicely now after last weekend working on it (after another stupid motherboard crash, that makes 2 crashes in 8 years on the machine - I guess that aint so bad). So now I have a lot newer sagetv hardware. So much faster too. I can record from HRHR, DISH, and play movies from multiple PC's, and mediamvp's all at the same time. So I just dont want to risk anything now....

Sooooo I just need a list of all that show/movie information for everything I have recorded since 2005. After multiple NAS disk crashes, I have file all over the place and want to get it resolved once and for all.

After reading about all this, and thinking it all through....I have made a decision.

I just take a different approach. I am going to simply parse the html file from using the neilms web server which I have had running since 2006. And (programmatically) parse and make a list of all the MediaFileId's like 266202, etc

This is from the HTML source code from the neilms web sever page that shows all my shows on one page
http://server1/sage/DetailedInfo?MediaFileId=266202

Once I have a list of all the MediaFileID's in a simple text file or ms access database...I can write my own little HTTP processor (have done it before), to send the URL like http://server1/sage/DetailedInfo?MediaFileId=266202 and it will return all the show information as html source code to my little vb.net program. From there, I can screen scape and parse that HTML too. And get what I need.

This is the information that comes back from neilms web server info page
Episode: Battle of Britain
Aired: Jul 31, 2006 5:00 PM - 6:00 PM
Duration: 60 m
Channel: 195-MILI
Description: England's war machine gears up as Hitler's armies move westward.
Category: Documentary/War - Rerun
Original Air Date: Wednesday, September 28, 2005
Part 1 of 2
Show ID: EP2654580019
Files:
\\nasvideo1\disk-2\Battlefields-BattleofBritain-4081900-0.mpg

File Playlists: [wvx] [m3u] [pls]
Streaming Playlists: [wvx] [m3u] [pls]
Size: 0.00MB
Internal details: MediaFileID=266202 , AiringID=102731

And within there I can just parse the "Files:" parameter and whatever else I need.
Once I have a list of all the shows, and where SageTV "THINKS" they are at, well then I can figure out how to get everything setup again so all my shows are online. I have terrabytes of them sitting on various disks. So using this information, will be another ordeal in itself. I am not even going into that here....but I know once I have a list of all these files and where SageTV thinks they are located, I should be able to get everything moved around...etc and have all my shows back (that I didnt lose from the hard disk crashes)

This is a simple approach to get what I need. I just dont have time to screw around with all those other things, and I just cant tolerate screwing up my sagetv server anymore. too many other things to do. So for a little programming time, I WILL get what I need without having to install anything on server, or learn anything new with Studio.

I will just use the skills I have to make a simple program. And end up having a list of everything I need to be used to fix up my 5+ year old problems that have slowly been eating at me.

SageTV server has always worked fine. Its the hardware that died on me two times now. And then the stupid linux NAS server I was using died. And several other hard drives died too on a windows 2000 server....gawd. So many screwed up drives.

Last edited by steingra; 09-04-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:57 AM
SageTVaholic

that's why i suggested the web server, though i suggested using the xml files, as they will be much easier to parse out. (look for the xml icon on any page)