SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabre View Post
I restarted a few times last night. will do it all again when i get home. do you think 2.7.2 run better than 2.6?
It has more Options but your problem does not appear to be Sagedct.. When you get home make sure in HD Homerun Setup the application tab says SageTV... also make sure SageDCT is logging on with the admin user on your Server.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

got it worked out

So i started from scratch with the install, and also used 2.7.2 and now am back working again. Thanks for the pointers nplayer. Not sure what it was since I did it all over.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:04 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac View Post
Well, it's been several weeks and except for 2 programs recorded since my previous post about setting program_stream to true, the Prime with SageDCT 2.6.0 has worked Great.

The 2 program's recorded but lost sound halfway through them. The second of the lost sound shows, I was able to switch to live on my Comcast DVR and verify that sound was there but the recording lost sound in the middle of a commercial. I manually stopped the recording and started it back up (Sage choose the same tuner) and sound was back.

I think it's time for SageDCT 2.7.2.
Before updating to SageDCT 2.7.2 I found another show that lost sound near the end of the video (Justified). I found thousands of audio sync errors. This show was recorded with the Prime and SageDCT 2.6.0 with VLC capture option.

I have since upgraded to SageDCT 2.7.2 and use the FFMPEG capture option (since there are a number of Comcast channels that need this option).

Anyway, no more chipmunk sounds and black screen video (so far).

BigMac
Client2: Win7 Pro (64bit), Intel Quad Q9650 3.00GHz, 8G Ram, Test/Work/Gaming system.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:55 PM
Sage User

I'm having some trouble getting SageDCT set up on a new box. I had it working just fine on Windows 7, then my motherboard died and I ended up replacing pretty much everything and "upgrading" to Win8.1 in the process.

I've got Sage installed just fine. I've got the HDHomeRun software installed fine, and I can view live TV with it. I installed SageDCT 2.7.2, and ran ConfigureSageDCT.

Under discovery, it sees all of the tuners. When I do Generate assignments, I get a text file with all of the mmc/ text to add to sage.properties. When I copy that text to sage.properties, then use sagetvservicecontrol.exe to stop and restart the sage service, and then go to Set Up Video Sources, it still tells me there are no video sources available.

I've verified that windows firewall has an entry for SageDCT and everything is set to "All". When I go into the "Test" tab on ConfigureSageDCT, and hit "Send", I get an error "No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:6980"

I checked and the SageDCT service is on and running under LocalSystem.

I'm out of ideas now. Am I missing something obvious?
Old 01-25-2014, 02:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDerek View Post
I'm having some trouble getting SageDCT set up on a new box. I had it working just fine on Windows 7, then my motherboard died and I ended up replacing pretty much everything and "upgrading" to Win8.1 in the process.

I've got Sage installed just fine. I've got the HDHomeRun software installed fine, and I can view live TV with it. I installed SageDCT 2.7.2, and ran ConfigureSageDCT.

Under discovery, it sees all of the tuners. When I do Generate assignments, I get a text file with all of the mmc/ text to add to sage.properties. When I copy that text to sage.properties, then use sagetvservicecontrol.exe to stop and restart the sage service, and then go to Set Up Video Sources, it still tells me there are no video sources available.

I've verified that windows firewall has an entry for SageDCT and everything is set to "All". When I go into the "Test" tab on ConfigureSageDCT, and hit "Send", I get an error "No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:6980"

I checked and the SageDCT service is on and running under LocalSystem.

I'm out of ideas now. Am I missing something obvious?
Make sure in the HD Homerun setup application tab it is set to Sagetv if it is not set it and reboot the PC.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:14 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
You have to stop the service BEFORE you modify the properties file.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:43 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the responses.

Tried both of those, no luck. The HDHomeRun software was already set to SageTV.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:46 PM
Sage User

Ahh, got it. Stupid freaking windows.

Somehow when I changed Sage.properties, it saved it as Sage.properties.txt. But since I just reinstalled windows, I haven't gotten around to changing my folder settings to uncheck "Hide extensions on known file types", so I didn't notice that. I was changing the .txt file, which had no effect on the .properties file.

Bah. Thanks for the help anyway. Hopefully it'll work from here on out
Old 01-27-2014, 01:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Ahh, got it. Stupid freaking windows.

Somehow when I changed Sage.properties, it saved it as Sage.properties.txt. But since I just reinstalled windows, I haven't gotten around to changing my folder settings to uncheck "Hide extensions on known file types", so I didn't notice that. I was changing the .txt file, which had no effect on the .properties file.

Bah. Thanks for the help anyway. Hopefully it'll work from here on out
That is the first thing I do. Well alright the 2nd. The first is setting the start menu options like control panel as a menu. The second is changing Windows Explorer to see all hidden files and to display extensions.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:03 AM
Sage Advanced User

New Prime Firmware

New version of HDHomeRun firmware came out yesterday. Has some transcoding improvements according to the release notes. Anybody try it yet?
Old 01-30-2014, 10:10 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace007 View Post
New version of HDHomeRun firmware came out yesterday. Has some transcoding improvements according to the release notes. Anybody try it yet?
That transcoding is for the New Products really does not affect the Primes.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

Help with WinXP configuration

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a HDHR Prime to add to my system described below in my sig. It's activated and connected to my router. I can access all the appropriate channels with a separate Win7 machine through WMC. With the quicktv siliconedust program I can view all the appropriate channels. I'm on Comcast.

I have Windows XP still on my DVR and would like to keep it for now. I've looked through some of this thread (it's huge now though!) and gleaned some ideas on how to make this work. I've followed exactly the steps listed in some of posts summarizing.

I just can't get SageDCT to provide reliable (or really, any) input into SageTV.

A summary so far of my attempt to get it to work on WinXP:
1. I downloaded SageDCT 2.7.0.2 for x86 and installed it on my DVR.
2. Shutdown SageTv (I do not run it as a service).
3. Run HDHR config software, which finds and scans the 3 cablecard tuners. Quicktv can display channels appropriately. Quit and saved this scan.
4. Ran SageDCT which detected the 3 tuners. I generated the necessary file. I did not change any of the default settings.
5. Added the text in the generated file to the end of my sage.properties file.
6. Added SageDCT as an exception to the windows firewall. Added the specific ports to open for UDP.
7. Turned on SageDCT as a service.
8. Ran SageTV. The 3 tuners are shown in the devices setup page.

If I have just started the SageDCT service, "Functioning: true" shows up. However, any attempt to tune into a channel, after a small pause, gives a "no encoders can tune" the channel error. The functioning then turns to 'false.' So something happens to the SageDCT service upon my tuning attempt. If I stop and restart the SageDCT service, the functioning turns true, but the "no encoders can tune" error will hit again.

Similarly, when I first turn on the SageDCT service and use the test function, it does return with a 1 code. However, after I try to tune into a channel, and go back to test, the connection is refused.

So something odd is happening to the SageDCT service after I attempt to tune into it.

Where can I find the log file to examine?

Server: SageTV 9.2.6x64 on Win10 x64 Home, i7-2600, 8gb RAM, OpenDCT, Java 1.8, 20TB storage
Display: EVGA GT 1030 fanless to Sony LED TV via DVI-HDMI
Capture Devices: HDHR Prime for Comcast, HDHR Dual for OTA (retired)
Clients: Nvidia Shield Android miniclient

Last edited by waylo; 02-07-2014 at 12:30 AM. Reason: found some tutorials, still ain't working =(, isolated problem to SageDCT service
Old 02-04-2014, 10:49 AM
Sage Icon

holy crap. I checked the file size of the 2-hour Sherlock recording from Masterpiece Mystery the other night. Its 74 GB's?!?!? I've seen large raw stream size files from the Prime before, but that seems a bit excessive. I wonder what the bit rate is on that one.

(it's from the local PBS affiliate, KQED, recorded from Comcast)
Old 02-04-2014, 11:05 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelme View Post
holy crap. I checked the file size of the 2-hour Sherlock recording from Masterpiece Mystery the other night. Its 74 GB's?!?!? I've seen large raw stream size files from the Prime before, but that seems a bit excessive. I wonder what the bit rate is on that one.

(it's from the local PBS affiliate, KQED, recorded from Comcast)
I have seen it before occasionally where the prime doesn't actually stop recording, and I end up with a much longer and much larger recording. And just for a point of reference my Sherlock HDHR OTA recording is just under 12 GB.
Check out TVExplorer
Old 02-04-2014, 11:10 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrsharpe View Post
I have seen it before occasionally where the prime doesn't actually stop recording, and I end up with a much longer and much larger recording. And just for a point of reference my Sherlock HDHR OTA recording is just under 12 GB.
Makes sense. Well, I'm currently out of town so I haven't checked the latest Prime beta firmware updates. I'll have to do that when I return.
Client: HD300, Asus Pundit P1-AH1, AMD 3800+ X2 CPU, 1 GB RAM, 6150 graphics, ArcSoft decoders
Backup: Synology
SageTV version: FINAL
Old 02-08-2014, 05:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

Figured it out, WinXP and firewall issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylo View Post
Hi everyone,

I just purchased a HDHR Prime to add to my system described below in my sig. It's activated and connected to my router. I can access all the appropriate channels with a separate Win7 machine through WMC. With the quicktv siliconedust program I can view all the appropriate channels. I'm on Comcast.

I have Windows XP still on my DVR and would like to keep it for now. I've looked through some of this thread (it's huge now though!) and gleaned some ideas on how to make this work. I've followed exactly the steps listed in some of posts summarizing.
Okay, so I finally figured it out. What I tried has NOT been described anywhere I could find, so I'm sharing it here for posterity

0. I had previously had the HDHR Prime hooked into my router. Given that variable wireless N-speeds just would not cut it for reliable HD video, and certainly not for troubleshooting, I attached it directly into my HTPC. I would have done this sooner but I only have 1 ethernet port, which was for the HDHR original.

1. I had disabled but not completely uninstalled an older version of ZoneAlarm. People who say that a firewall need to be completely uninstalled and not just disabled are right--it was still hooked in somehow into my networking. After uninstalling, my previous 'no encoders' error went away.

2. However, I now had a 'no signal' problem. The sagedct service however did not error out like it had previously. At this point, if I completely turned off the Windows Firewall, I found it all worked fabulously. So despite having the 3 tuner ports UDP opened + one RTP start port, and SageDCT, configureSageDCT, uPNP, all added as exceptions, the firewall was still blocking something.

3. Turning off windows firewall seemed like a huge security risk, so I turned on the firewall logging and examined that. There were a lot of entries like:
2014-02-08 14:52:09 DROP UDP 169.254.170.224 169.254.143.153 5004 5012 1356 - - - - - - - RECEIVE

I took this to indicate that info being sent from port 5004 of the HDHR Prime to port 5012 were not getting through.

I opened up both 5004 and 5012 and like magic, the data flows. 5012 is NOWHERE to be seen in the configureSageDCT settings, btw. It is close to the 5010 listed as my RTP port. The next tuner being blocked was 5014... so, in addition to the tuner ports being opened, the RTP start port + 2 others (for the 2 other tuners) must be opened. Again, these are NOT ports listed in configuresagedct.

I still can't find sagedct's log location in XP also.

Anyway, now, let the unencumbered HD flow =).

EDIT: So ffmpeg is not working for me, but that's a minor trouble I'll tackle later.
Edit2: ffmpeg not working on XP is probably related to not having some dependencies, discussed here:
http://babgvant.com/forums/t/4914.aspx?PageIndex=2

Server: SageTV 9.2.6x64 on Win10 x64 Home, i7-2600, 8gb RAM, OpenDCT, Java 1.8, 20TB storage
Display: EVGA GT 1030 fanless to Sony LED TV via DVI-HDMI
Capture Devices: HDHR Prime for Comcast, HDHR Dual for OTA (retired)
Clients: Nvidia Shield Android miniclient

Last edited by waylo; 02-08-2014 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:24 PM
Sage User

HDHR Prime (SageDCT) recordings won't render in SageTV

I have been running SageTV for about 5 years now. Upgraded to HDHR Prime with an M-Card about 3 months ago. Installed SageDCT 2.7.2 - running in DUMP mode and everything has been working great. (I love SageDCT as much as I do SageTV). Have been recording many shows across all 3 tuners. In the last week, I have two shows where some episodes show up with the error PlaybackException: ERROR (-4,0x80004005) - some don't. When they have the error - SageTV gives the error and the message that it can't render the video. I have looked everywhere for a possible solution, but have not found one. Those same shows display fine with VLC and if converted to MP4's they run fine in SageTV (but I would rather not convert them all).

Is there someone that can point me to why some of my shows are displaying this rendering error? I would be extremely grateful.

Thank you

Steve
i7 4770 running Win 7 (64bit), 320gb SSD, 16gb RAM, 18tb storage, 3 HD300's, 2 HD200's, all wired across gig network
Old 02-08-2014, 06:53 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesage View Post
I have been running SageTV for about 5 years now. Upgraded to HDHR Prime with an M-Card about 3 months ago. Installed SageDCT 2.7.2 - running in DUMP mode and everything has been working great. (I love SageDCT as much as I do SageTV). Have been recording many shows across all 3 tuners. In the last week, I have two shows where some episodes show up with the error PlaybackException: ERROR (-4,0x80004005) - some don't. When they have the error - SageTV gives the error and the message that it can't render the video. I have looked everywhere for a possible solution, but have not found one. Those same shows display fine with VLC and if converted to MP4's they run fine in SageTV (but I would rather not convert them all).

Is there someone that can point me to why some of my shows are displaying this rendering error? I would be extremely grateful.

Thank you

Steve
i7 4770 running Win 7 (64bit), 320gb SSD, 16gb RAM, 18tb storage, 3 HD300's, 2 HD200's, all wired across gig network
Install SageDCT 2.72 donator version and use the FFMPEG option.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

Has anyone been able to overcome this error?

2014/02/08 18:31:15.67 : Error starting FfmpegRtpWriter: An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format.

I get that every time I try to use 2.7.2 and the FFMPEG capture method.

EDIT: PS, loading the modified dll made for XP systems does not work for me.

EDIT2: Also tried installing as administrator .
Server: Gigabyte EP43-UD3L; Intel Core2Duo E5200; 4 GB DDR2 RAM; NVidia GeForce 9400GT; 6 tuners: Hauppauge HVR-1600 NTSC/ATSC/QAM combo, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Dual Hybrid QAM, HD Homerun Prime (using SageDCT); 3.06TB total space: Seagate 160 GB, Maxtor 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 400GB, Hitachi 2 TB
Extender: HD200
Netgear MCAB1001 MoCA Coax-Ethernet Adapter Kit

Last edited by Sparhawk6; 02-09-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparhawk6 View Post
Has anyone been able to overcome this error?

2014/02/08 18:31:15.67 : Error starting FfmpegRtpWriter: An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format.

I get that every time I try to use 2.7.2 and the FFMPEG capture method.
make sure this is set to false in the properties. Look for your Sagedct Tuners. This will create a TS file instead of mpg.Make sure to shutdown Sage first... if it is set to false already then I would send the logs to Andy.

encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=false