SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:10 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LehighBri View Post
I just upgraded from 2.1.4 to 2.1.7, and while PBDA seems to still be working fine, it seems like it takes 10x as long to tune to channel before a recording starts.
More time is normal and expected. There are many more SW abstraction layers b/w the tuner and the file in the PBDA method than the original implementation.

How much more time? More than 5-10 seconds (depending on your HW) would be abnormal and you should send me a verbose log.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LehighBri View Post
Is this due to the delay tuner start setting which has a default of 30 seconds? Previously my recording would start within only a couple seconds. Is it safe for me to lower this setting to 2 or 3 seconds? Just curious on why this setting is needed and why the default is so high.
This setting controls how long SageDCT will wait after the system starts (or resumes from standby in 2.1.8+) before trying to build the PBDA capture graph. It should not impact tuning beyond this use case.

Last edited by babgvant; 11-05-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:06 PM
Sage User

Another newb here... sorry.

Is there a way to capture the list of channels and their copy protection flags from the prime so I can tell which ones I can enable in Sage, or do I need to audit every one. I use TW Cable and was surprised that ESPN was copy free. Wondering which others may be.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:44 AM
Sage User

Prime + SageDCT running strong for a few weeks now. I had one hiccup in the beginning relating to low Symbol Quality on a number of channels. On most channels, it was 100% all the time, but on the problem channels it sat around 10-15%, preventing me from tuning the channel. I was convinced that it was a problem with my cable company (Fios) and was ready to give up after not being able to resolve it. But, after some more research, I discovered that a splitter or bad cable can cause Symbol Quality to drop. I moved the Prime to the the first splitter on the line and the Symbol Quality problems completely disappeared. I don't know if one of the subsequent splitters on the line or one of my cables is the culprit, but I would recommend to everyone having problems maintaining Symbol Quality on their Prime to try plugging the Prime into the cable that comes into the house, bypassing all splitters and other cables. If you still have Symbol Quality problems after doing that, then you know it is the cable company and not your wiring.

Sage runs great with the Prime (and SageDCT). It is so good that I am now considering getting rid of my hd-pvrs and my old HDHR and just running two Primes (the 6 tuner version is more expensive than two of the three tuner models). So that leads me to my question:

Is anyone using two or more Primes with their Sage setup? If so, any problems? My Sage server has plenty of cpu power and an Intel nic, so I think that it can handle whatever I throw at it. Are there any limitations in SageDCT regarding the number of tuners?

Thanks.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:35 PM
Sage Expert

Just wanting to say thanks to Babgvant and to all of you who pioneered this.

I installed everything earlier this week and am running version 2.0 with the latest prime firmware and it is working great so far. Hard to want to upgrade to the newer versions just yet.

So THANKS.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

Are others seeing very high memory usage by SageDCT? 2.1.7 under windows 7 x64 is consuming north of 6 GBytes of RAM in the system. It also seems to generate recordings that have trouble being skipped forward, at least for some programs.

This can't be normal can it?
Old 11-06-2011, 11:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnoboy View Post
Are others seeing very high memory usage by SageDCT? 2.1.7 under windows 7 x64 is consuming north of 6 GBytes of RAM in the system. It also seems to generate recordings that have trouble being skipped forward, at least for some programs.

Ok, I went through some of this thread and changed the W7 media throttling, increased the write buffer size, and things seem a lot better. Multiple records don't see massive memory explosions anymore.

Is there any good reason BTW to keep write buffers relatively small? I have a 30 TB raid backend for all recordings that can fill a GbE, and it is optimized for large block sizes....

thx
FB
Old 11-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thumbs up Sweet SageDCT 2.1.7 (X64)

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post
Feeling better about 2.1.7 .
You should. It's awesome! (I am not using the PDBA though.)

For anyone that thinks they set it up right and it still doesn't work, try rebooting first and then check again.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:40 AM
Sage User

Thumbs up Success!

Turns out I had things setup correctly, it just took 3 calls to Comcast and a few days of waiting to get all my channels to push through.

Another big thanks to babgvant
Tuners: 5 total - HDHomerun Prime via Comcast, HDHomerun
Clients: 3 x HD200, 40" LCD, 46" LCD, 60" rear pro
Old 11-08-2011, 11:01 AM
Sage Icon

I've been running SageDCT 1.8 with my Ceton successfully for the past few months. Occasionally there are tuner errors but it is not frequent.

I've noticed that SageDCT is now at 2.1.7. I've been apply Ceton firmware updates but not SageDCT updates yet.

Is there a good reason to upgrade SageDCT? What new fixes/features/value is there?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:53 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:

I was still on 1.9 and it was using over 6GB of ram last night. It was hell trying to get control of the box too. Finally got the service stopped, and upgraded to 2.1.8, and its only using 15MB now.

One oddity though, I could not upgrade SageDCT. I had to uninstall 1.9 and then install 2.1.8. Was getting an error of "service already exists" from the installer, and I made sure that the service was stopped. Not sure why this happened, as previous upgrades worked fine.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:32 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by leagle View Post
Are there any limitations in SageDCT regarding the number of tuners?
No. I ran 11 for a short period of time
Old 11-08-2011, 12:33 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflamm View Post
What new fixes/features/value is there?
Take a look at the change log located at the bottom of the download page.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:34 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:

That is not normal.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Take a look at the change log located at the bottom of the download page.
I did take a look before I posted...

Not sure how many of those are general fixes... seemed like SageDCT versions started taking off rapidly after the new SiliconDust Prime was introduced.. which led me to believe they are related to the Prime.

Also, not familiar with PBDA capture... can someone enlighten me?

It sounds like you are suggesting that all users update to the latest SageDCT. Do I have that correct?
Old 11-08-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaOConnor View Post
Andy, is the PBDA support to eventually allow for this to work with JRiver? Just wondering what it would take to move to JRiver as an example. I know you've been working with those guys, seems like the best/most viable alternative to Sage right now.
!
Thanks. MC17.0.30 should import SageTV files and fill enough of the tags to give a reasonable presentation.

One of our users, JustinChase, has documented commercial skipping in MC now:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/inde...7579.msg453780
Old 11-08-2011, 01:46 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I did take a look before I posted...

Not sure how many of those are general fixes...
Most of the changes 2.1+ were related to PBDA capture. There were general fixes (mostly UI) and some enhancements to UPnP capture (most notably the tuner will check for data to arrive and retry if it doesn't before reporting success to SageTV). These are all captured in the log and if there are specific affects/applicability it should be noted.

Quote:
Also, not familiar with PBDA capture... can someone enlighten me?
It's what 7MC uses to make recordings. The main benefit is that you can create MPG-PS files w/o the cruft that causes some issues with non-SageTV applications.

Quote:
It sounds like you are suggesting that all users update to the latest SageDCT. Do I have that correct?
No. If what you have works, keep it. That said, if you're not running the latest and you report a problem, the first thing I'll suggest is an upgrade.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:55 AM
Sage Aficionado

Red face 2.1.7 (X64)

Can I get this version please? I accidently deleted the zip folder and extract and after the 2.1.8 (X64) failed I am not a happy camper.

I am not running PDBA so probably should have stayed at 2.1.7.

Thank you.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:29 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by doncote0 View Post
Can I get this version please? I accidently deleted the zip folder and extract and after the 2.1.8 (X64) failed I am not a happy camper.

I am not running PDBA so probably should have stayed at 2.1.7.

Thank you.
Whats wrong with 2.1.8 x64? Mine's been rock solid using that version. Should I be looking for something going wrong?
Old 11-10-2011, 08:33 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriver View Post
Thanks. MC17.0.30 should import SageTV files and fill enough of the tags to give a reasonable presentation.
Does it account for recording padding? Setting the initial bookmark value in the sidecar is one of the finer points to MigrateSageTVtoJMC (or at least I think so ).
Old 11-10-2011, 02:16 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
Whats wrong with 2.1.8 x64? Mine's been rock solid using that version. Should I be looking for something going wrong?
I am not using PDBA. For me the 2.1.7 X64 was rock solid. I thought I had kept the extract and deleted the zip file, but I had obviously deleted the extract earlier. Before anyone asks, when I say deleted, I mean permanently deleted.

I will try again tonight, but I messed with it for a couple hours last night and couldn't get a reliable and consistent setup. I will try again tonight and replace the coax from my high-end amp.

If it is working well for you, run with it. I am not sure why it would change for me, since most of the settings say PDBA only. I don't know if any of the PDBA settings still affect the performance of the prime when not using PDBA.