SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:00 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks, panteragstk! LOL. Everything seems so much clearer now!

Seriously, though, no rumors at all? Wow....maybe we need to start some. ;-)
Old 09-20-2011, 11:34 AM
SageTVaholic

Well the current rumor is that when google acquired motorola's STB division after acquiring sagetv that the new motorola stb's would have googletv with dvr functionality from sagetv. Who knows what features will be added and whether or not this will actually happen. Would be pretty sweet though (for those with cable at least). Doesn't help those of us with satellite.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:45 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm View Post
It has been three months since the announcement of Google's acquisition of Sage. As far as I know, the things we know about this is are:
1. It happened
2. We are supposed to have tv guide data for one year.
Also:

3. Jeff released a special file to allow free upgrade to v7.
4. It appears he won't be offering free client licenses.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac View Post
Also:

3. Jeff released a special file to allow free upgrade to v7.
4. It appears he won't be offering free client licenses.
5. And if you don't like it, your comment will be moved to a special topic called "Community Comments on Google's Acquisition of SageTV", where it will be ignored by everyone at Google
Old 09-20-2011, 03:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
Well the current rumor is that when google acquired motorola's STB division after acquiring sagetv that the new motorola stb's would have googletv with dvr functionality from sagetv.
Google only acquired Motorola Mobility, right? So, the DVR function should help anyone with an Android phone, even if they have satellite! And this great because I've grown tired of watching HD shows on big screens with surround sound. 4.3 inch screens are the future, baby!
Old 09-20-2011, 03:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Google only acquired Motorola Mobility, right? So, the DVR function should help anyone with an Android phone, even if they have satellite! And this great because I've grown tired of watching HD shows on big screens with surround sound. 4.3 inch screens are the future, baby!
Motorola's STB division was grouped in with motorola mobility a year or so ago, so yes, google does own that.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 09-20-2011, 03:45 PM
Sage Icon

That includes the STB products strangely enough.
via Olevia 247TFHD/Onyko TX-SR606/Harmony 550/HP MediaSmart EX490 WHS w/12TB
Plex Media Server v0.9.9.5 on HP Touchsmart Envy 23 d16qd
Sonos Play:3, Connect / SimpleTV v2 / Roku 2 XS+Plex / iPhone 5 / iPad 2
Old 09-20-2011, 03:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcilicious View Post
The question will be do two people from opposite sides of two different sagetv mergers even have contact with each other through the massive google-plex to make the "sagetv + stb = gold" connection?

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:13 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
The question will be do two people from opposite sides of two different sagetv mergers even have contact with each other through the massive google-plex to make the "sagetv + stb = gold" connection?
It's only gold if your cableco decides to use those STB's. I really hope that the conjectured SaGoogleTV is STB independant (and, therefore, provider independant).

S
Old 09-20-2011, 05:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcilicious View Post
The weird world of corporate mergers!

Actually, it would be pretty cool to be able to schedule, access and control your media collection from an Android phone while viewing it via a fully integrated STB. I just wonder how long DVR ability in any program will be useful as on-demand ability improves. And, as Fuzzy points out, does anyone at Google make the connections we are making between products anyway?

Sure wish companies believed more in sharing their vision for new acquisitions.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

bummer!!

I miss the old days!!
Old 09-20-2011, 06:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
And, as Fuzzy points out, does anyone at Google make the connections we are making between products anyway?
The timing of the acquisitions points to Google being very aware. They were way too close together.

Granted they did get the mobility division which is directly tied to android which is soon to be directly tied to GoogleTV which is indirectly tied to the motorola STB division which is (maybe) tied to the acquisition of SageTV.

I'm willing to bet that when they acquired SageTV they were already involved in the motorola acquisition. That would be a huge coincidence.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjob View Post
bummer!!

I miss the old days!!
As Fuzzy will say "SageTV still works perfectly and will continue to for a long time."
Old 09-20-2011, 08:18 PM
SageTVaholic

The motorola mobility purchase was just a grab at phone patents, to give defense in the ensuing phone patent wars. We're just hoping they look at some neat-o bonuses from the purchase.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
division which is directly tied to android which is soon to be directly tied to GoogleTV which is indirectly tied to the motorola STB division which is (maybe) tied to the acquisition of SageTV.
I agree with Fuzzy, the acquisition of Moto's STB business was a necessary evil to buy Moto's mobile phone patents and not a strategic move at all.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:23 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
The motorola mobility purchase was just a grab at phone patents, to give defense in the ensuing phone patent wars. We're just hoping they look at some neat-o bonuses from the purchase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I agree with Fuzzy, the acquisition of Moto's STB business was a necessary evil to buy Moto's mobile phone patents and not a strategic move at all.
That's why I said sagetv/googletv is indirectly tied to the stb purchase. I honestly don't think anything will come of it and yes they did just grab moto for the patents, but I do think they'd be pretty stupid not to merge the stb purchase with sagetv/googletv. Will they do it? We won't know for quite some time. They've got all the tools needed to make something pretty awesome and unique, but we all know that most huge companies don't make good decisions.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:28 AM
SageTVaholic

I am skeptical that the cable companies will sell a combined STB/SagetTV/GoogleTV box. It is about six years since Cisco bought SA and they haven't done anything in this space. My theory is that the cable companies don't want to make it easier for you to have access to Netflix, Hulu, playing back ripped or downloaded video files, etc. They want to keep their system as closed as possible. This may be a desperate move - I guess we will see.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:21 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
My theory is that the cable companies don't want to make it easier for you to have access to Netflix, Hulu, playing back ripped or downloaded video files, etc. They want to keep their system as closed as possible. This may be a desperate move - I guess we will see.
It becomes a lot more attractive to them if they charge for the access and services. I can see a model where they charge you more and you get more bandwidth (vs their "standard" ISP services) and unlimited download size. If they di it right many people will pay more.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
It becomes a lot more attractive to them if they charge for the access and services. I can see a model where they charge you more and you get more bandwidth (vs their "standard" ISP services) and unlimited download size. If they di it right many people will pay more.
I also wonder what cable companies pay out to networks to carry their channel. If users access content directly from the web, would the cable companies still need to pay for that content? Is there a workable model where cable companies charge for access to their network of physical cables, connection to the internet and the bandwidth used, and let companies like Hulu and Google work out the content agreements with the networks? Probably not a high enough margin in that type of model, but it seems that something like that is the only way GoogleTV ends up working. Also, as younger generations move further and furuther from watching network TV, this type of model may be the only thing cable companies find people willing to pay for.

Last edited by scm; 09-21-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:02 PM
Sage Expert

Or, might Gogorola sell a consumer box, ala Tivo? Seems plausible.

Tags
acquisition, beer, google, googletv