SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by baudfather View Post
I don't know how the topic suddenly changed from Sage to beer to Montreal... But if you can find it, a very unique beer from Quebec is Maudite - never had anything like it, and it's in my top 5.
Maudite is brewed by a Quebec brewery called Unibroue that brews several excellent beers, many in a Belgian style. Other excellent beers from them include La Fin du Monde (The End of the World) and Raftman.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:13 AM
Sage Aficionado

another google aquisition: http://www.pittpatt.com/
Retired - Hava, MediaMVP, HD-100, HD-PVR, HVR-2250, Ceton InfiniTV4, Original (white) HDHomeRun Died - HD-100, HD-300
Old 07-24-2011, 03:48 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePaladinTech View Post
My first thought before clicking on it... "Is it a brewery? Did they buy a brewery that made one of SageStaff's favorite ales?
Old 07-24-2011, 09:58 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
That's because they are going to be running continuous facial recognition on the shows you are watching, AND on your face, to aid in IR tuning. If you aren't paying as much attention to a show, it will determine that you don't like ti as much. An interesting googlish side effect is that they will be able to make sure that the commercials only play during times you are actively watching the tv.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-24-2011, 11:57 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck55 View Post
My first thought before clicking on it... "Is it a brewery? Did they buy a brewery that made one of SageStaff's favorite ales?
My first thought *after* clicking on it: I wonder if getting Elsa's phone # was one of the SageStaff's conditions.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVB View Post
My first thought *after* clicking on it: I wonder if getting Elsa's phone # was one of the SageStaff's conditions.
Guess Google will have to buy the company that designed the site to figure out where the stock photo came from, then buy that stock photography company in order to acquire their HR records, eh?
Old 07-24-2011, 01:46 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck55 View Post
Guess Google will have to buy the company that designed the site to figure out where the stock photo came from, then buy that stock photography company in order to acquire their HR records, eh?
RIIIIIGGGHHHTTT... like Google doesn't already HAVE all that information...

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-24-2011, 02:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
RIIIIIGGGHHHTTT... like Google doesn't already HAVE all that information...
Google's new slogan debuting soon...

The Google Knows

Where do you live? The Google Knows!
How much did you spend on Doritos last week? The Google Knows!
Is your girlfriend really at the mall with friends? The Google Knows!
How many bodies are buried in your back yard? The Google Knows!
What is Elsa's phone number? The Google Knows!

Last edited by TBacker; 07-24-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:38 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBacker View Post
Google's new slogan debuting soon...

The Google Knows

Where do you live? The Google Knows!
How much did you spend on Doritos last week? The Google Knows!
Is your girlfriend really at the mall with friends? The Google Knows!
How many bodies are buried in your back yard? The Google Knows!
What is Elsa's phone number? The Google Knows!
You forgot:
Who and when are you calling? The Google Knows!

and soon....................
What and when you are watching TV? .......

Server: Intel i7-930 CPU @ 2.8GHz , 300GB HD, 24GB DDR3, Win 10 64-bit, (2) 2TB HD for recording
Capture Devices: 2xHD Homerun Prime 3 (CableCard) = 6 Tuners (Spectrum, TV package: Select), 1xHauppauge WinTv 885 (4 tuners OTA), 1xHauppauge WinTv-7164 (2 tuners OTA), Schedules Direct EPG
NAS: Synology DS1618+ 26.2TB Synology Hybrid RAID (SHR)
Sage Add-ons: Comskip Plug-in
Eventghost 0.5.0-RC4, Java Version: 1.8.0_172 (32-bit), Harmony 880, USB-UIRT
Old 07-26-2011, 05:47 AM
SageTVaholic

I don't think the Google guys are as smart as they claim to be. How can you trust a company that can't spell Googol correctly?

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:02 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
That's because they are going to be running continuous facial recognition on the shows you are watching, AND on your face, to aid in IR tuning. If you aren't paying as much attention to a show, it will determine that you don't like ti as much. An interesting googlish side effect is that they will be able to make sure that the commercials only play during times you are actively watching the tv.
I realize you are joking... kinda... but I'm pretty sure we'll see this technology show up in G+ pretty soon to autotag pictures of you in your friends albums.

As for the slogan that was proposed... It's funny how if you replace Google Knows with "Apple Knows" or "Microsoft Knows", then it still works....
Old 07-26-2011, 09:28 AM
Sage Advanced User

Oh my...

Logging in for my monthly-or-so visit to the Sage forums to see what's new with the product I love, and I see this.

(sigh)

Most disappointing. A nice independent bastion of good faith software development has been sold to the "new Microsoft"... Google. Now I can only hope that the entertainment management product my household has grown to know and love doesn't vaporize.

Time to make extra backup copies of everything... and research EPG plugins and alternatives, in case any plugs get pulled.

(sigh)

-Greg
Old 07-27-2011, 09:09 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggerm View Post
Now I can only hope that the entertainment management product my household has grown to know and love doesn't vaporize.
Greg, you are now in the Denial phase ... most of us are in phase 2 to 4 ... I am stuck at phase 2

Phase 1 : Denial (this isn't happening to me!)
Phase 2 : Anger (why is this happening to me?)
Phase 3 : Bargaining (I promise I'll be a better person if...)
Phase 4 : Depression (I don't care anymore)
Phase 5 : Acceptance (I'm ready for whatever comes)
Server : Asus M4A79XTD Evo / AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.2GHz / 4Gb RAM / Win 10 64-bit / Cinergy 2400iDT (French Freeview - TNT) / 2 * Hauppauge NOVA-HD-S2 (UK Sky) / TT CT-3650 CI / HDD : 4.5 To / Sage V7 / XMLTV Importer / EPG from WebGrabPlus+/ LM DVB Recorder for all tuners / 2 Clients : STP-HD300

Last edited by bunch92; 07-27-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:23 AM
Sage Aficionado

Greg - it seems to help people to talk about beer.
Retired - Hava, MediaMVP, HD-100, HD-PVR, HVR-2250, Ceton InfiniTV4, Original (white) HDHomeRun Died - HD-100, HD-300
Old 07-27-2011, 10:45 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Greg - it seems to help people to talk about beer.
Yes, we need to reword phase 5 to: Acceptance (I'm ready for whatever comes, but ideally its a lager or pale ale, and absolutely not a domestic and mass produced beverage produced for the idiotic masses. I now already have that in my DVR solution).
Old 07-28-2011, 10:44 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVB View Post
Yes, we need to reword phase 5 to: Acceptance (I'm ready for whatever comes, but ideally its a lager or pale ale, and absolutely not a domestic and mass produced beverage produced for the idiotic masses. I now already have that in my DVR solution).
IVB - Them there are fighting words! Yuengling is a domestic lager and you just called me an idiot.

Ah hell, I can't get it in St. Louis anyway and the locally manufactured globally owned swill is produced for the the idiotic masses much like the satellite DVR solution I chucked for SageTV. Let's drink to Sage and may our extender capacitors never dry out!

-Ben
Old 07-28-2011, 10:05 PM
Sage Icon

Capital of the US in artisan breweries!

http://www.sandiegobrewersguild.org/brewery.php
Old 07-29-2011, 01:34 AM
Sage User

Logitech Slashes Google TV-Based Revue to $99 as Returns Exceed Sales

Article on macroumours.com talks about Google-TV and includes a video of Steve Jobs telling the reasons why they will fail.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/28/...-exceed-sales/

Quote:
Google TV had been seen as a major push into combining television viewing with Internet content, but got off to a rough start as Google asked manufacturers to hold off on introducing Google TV hardware as it sought to refine the software.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:22 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post
Article on macroumours.com talks about Google-TV and includes a video of Steve Jobs telling the reasons why they will fail.

If googleTV can combine the internet an TV that would be awesome. That is if they could actually do it correctly. What I see that as being seamless integration of online content such as netflix, hulu, amazon, etc. What that would be to me would be say you search for "the office season 5 episode 6" if you have it locally stored on your dvr it would find it there. If you don't it will find it on netflix or hulu. No matter the source you would have the episode. You would always find what you want to watch. It would be similar to how diamond integrates playon, but content wouldn't have to be in your queue. I think that if things were integrated like that then googletv could do very well.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:16 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post

Maybe we need to step back from our HTPC "geekness" and view the TV stb issue from a "normal" consumer's perspective. What if SageTV were developed as an appliance-type product, albeit less configurable? The system would consist of a standardized central server box and extenders using an android OS that made it available to other devices as well. Finally, what if these products were pushed by a company with lots of clout (i.e., Google)? Could this type of product break the barrier that Steve Jobs was talking about? What would the hardware for a product like this look like -- mulitple cablecard tuners? What would it require to hook a large number of customers on the product line? Google's business model is driven by revenues from advertising. TV advertizing is the golden goose in advertising. How large must the customer base be to satisfy Google's revenue goals?

Based on acceptance of the new mulit-room dvr stbs offerings, Google could easily do them one better and corner what has been an allusive market. And, I haven't been smoking anything.

Tags
acquisition, beer, google, googletv