SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:31 AM
SageTVaholic

I can't help but notice that you all have missed on one of the greatest beer companies - Boulevard
Love their Pale Ale, Wheat, Single-Wide IPA and Nutcracker Ale.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:40 AM
SageTVaholic

I actually had their unfiltered wheat a few days ago. Pretty good. I'd like to try the Bob’s ’47 Oktoberfest, but it isn't easy to find.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:03 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
I actually had their unfiltered wheat a few days ago. Pretty good. I'd like to try the Bob’s ’47 Oktoberfest, but it isn't easy to find.
Bob's 47 is one of their seasonals of course and they make a limited # of them. Even in Kansas City the seasonals sell out quickly. Since that is one of MrsGeekTonic's favorites we usually stock up on those as soon as they are available around September. So if you're ever in KC I'll serve one up in the GeekTonic home bar
Old 07-13-2011, 09:23 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
I love beer as much as the next guy, but I hate seeing all the emails about updates to this thread only to see the discussion off-topic. Can we create a new beer thread instead? I'd hate to unsubscribe and miss something truly important.

/old guy get-off-my-lawn rant
Old 07-13-2011, 09:41 AM
Sage Aficionado

while we are at can someone create a Jeff / SageTV / Google screwed us! piss and moan thread so I can ignore that drivel?
Retired - Hava, MediaMVP, HD-100, HD-PVR, HVR-2250, Ceton InfiniTV4, Original (white) HDHomeRun Died - HD-100, HD-300
Old 07-13-2011, 09:45 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by valnar View Post
I love beer as much as the next guy, but I hate seeing all the emails about updates to this thread only to see the discussion off-topic. Can we create a new beer thread instead? I'd hate to unsubscribe and miss something truly important.

Normally, I'd be all over a new beer thread, but I'm off to buy some Black Butte Porter, and then off to fishing the Metolius River for a couple days
Old 07-13-2011, 11:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by valnar View Post

Sorry. beer is just such a more light hearted conversation than the doom and gloom around here.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Best beer I've every had was Fat Bastard Scotch Ale from Silver City brewery in Silverdale, WA. (looks like they had to rename it to just Fat Scotch Ale). A dark malty delight in every sip. (decently potent as well, at 9.2%, sold in 22oz bottles).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-13-2011, 12:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Best beer I've every had was Fat Bastard Scotch Ale from Silver City brewery in Silverdale, WA. (looks like they had to rename it to just Fat Scotch Ale). A dark malty delight in every sip. (decently potent as well, at 9.2%, sold in 22oz bottles).
or too capitilize on Austin Powers?
Retired - Hava, MediaMVP, HD-100, HD-PVR, HVR-2250, Ceton InfiniTV4, Original (white) HDHomeRun Died - HD-100, HD-300
Old 07-13-2011, 12:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Actually, I think it had to change when they went to distribute it, as it was already in use by a brewery in Wichita I think.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-13-2011, 06:49 PM
Sage

Mmmm....Belgian beer...my favorite. Trappist ales are one of my favorites for sure. Of course most any belgian with 9%+ will give me that warm fuzzy feeling I like.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

I like home brewing! Nothing like making your own beer.

Yum
Old 07-13-2011, 07:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

Location: Stockton, CA - Most miserable city in the USA, SageTV makes it bearable
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
Mmmm....Belgian beer...my favorite. Trappist ales are one of my favorites for sure. Of course most any belgian with 9%+ will give me that warm fuzzy feeling I like.
I'm missing the warm feeling of being able to order more HD-300's

I'm hanging on to Sage for as long as I can, and hoping Google provides us a way forward....

I'm happy for you and your team no matter what happens. It's only TV for goodness sakes... I still remember oohing and awing over the JVC VHS VCR my dad got back in 1978 for $1400! Just about anything we get today was Science Fiction back then.
Client 1, 2, 3, and 4: HD200.
NAS: Synology DS220+ 8TB (Movie Storage)
Sage Add-ons: Jetty, Neilms Webserver (Jetty), Mobile Web, Play-On Plug-in, Comskip Plug-in
Old 07-13-2011, 08:06 PM
Sage Icon

I like this one:

Quote:
A Texan walks into a pub in Ireland and clears his voice to the crowd of drinkers. He says, "I hear you Irish are a bunch of hard drinkers. I'll give $500 American dollars to anybody in here who can drink 10 pints of Guinness back-to-back."
The room is quiet and no one takes up the Texan's offer. One man even leaves.
Thirty minutes later the same gentleman who left shows back up and taps the Texan on the shoulder. "Is your bet still good?" asks the Irishman. The Texan says "Yup" and asks the bartender to line up 10 pints of Guinness. Immediately the Irishman tears into all 10 of the pint glasses, drinking them all back-to-back.
The other pub patrons cheer as the Texan sits in amazement. The Texan gives the Irishman the $500 and says, "If ya don't mind me askin', where did you go for that 30 minutes you were gone?" The Irishman replies, "Oh...I had to go to the pub down the street to see if I could do it first.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:16 PM
SageTVaholic

He's alive! Cheers Jeff!
Old 07-13-2011, 09:26 PM
Sage User

A sighting! Jeff actually commented on beer...perhaps the only comment Google will allow him to post....but really, come on Jeff...this is absurd and hurtful not to provide some guidance to the community. Hurtfull to us individually as we try to navigate to a better tomorrow, hurtful to the deep appreciation and respect we have for you and your creation, and even hurtful for Google...an organization that most of us laude above Microsoft and Oracle for its open source approach to market penetration. I'm sure many would agree we would rather just be told by you it's over and for us to go away and find another life than to keep "hoping/wondering" if you are working hard to help us resolve our having been blind sided and condemed to SageTV risks by this action whether it be with extenders or the absence of access to new client licenses.

Is there nothing you can say to give us some direction??? Even if it's to say we should sit tight for another month but you expect some announcements then...conversely if there are to be no more technical or business communciations to your community then say so and let us make our peace with that.

Here's a beer , have a sip, think on it, then toss us a bone brother!

Last edited by GMan78; 07-13-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMan78 View Post
A sighting! Jeff actually commented on beer...perhaps the only comment Google will allow him to post....but really, come on Jeff...this is absurd and hurtful not to provide some guidance to the community. Hurtfull to us individually as we try to navigate to a better tomorrow, hurtful to the deep appreciation and respect we have for you and your creation, and even hurtful for Google...an organization that most of us laude above Microsoft and Oracle for its open source approach to market penetration. I'm sure many would agree we would rather just be told by you it's over and for us to go away and find another life than to keep "hoping/wondering" if you are working hard to help us resolve our having been blind sided and condemed to SageTV risks by this action whether it be with extenders or the absence of access to new client licenses.

Is there nothing you can say to give us some direction??? Even if it's to say we should sit tight for another month but you expect some announcements then...conversely if there are to be no more technical or business communciations to your community then say so and let us make our peace with that.

Here's a beer , have a sip, think on it, then toss us a bone brother!
Hurtfull You are taking this way too personally. Jeff sold you a program and some hardware. He now works at a new company and is bound be legal agreements and corporate ethics codes. He is saying nothing because he shouldn't. Google is a public company and you can't just spout out inside information. If you really "care" about Jeff, you won't ask him to get himself in trouble by posting confidential information on a public forum.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:21 AM
Sage User

The comments were not in the "personal" context, rather this sale and subsequent silence on options to mitigate our new found risk position was "hurtful" to my plans, his reputation with the community, and Google itself. But, since you bring it up, I am taking this personally as well.

Look, I like most of the folks in this community invested in SageTV to provide a means for storing and retrieving all that is digital media and most personal to our families. In my case 15 years of family photos and home movies not to mention our collection of DVD's all beholdin to the SageTV enviroment that I worked hard to perfect. How many times have I asked the wife and kids to sacrifice their access to television or movies as I performed an upgrade, maintenance, or broke fix operation. How many hundreds of hours over the years have been spent in the "media closet" rather than having a squirt gun fight with the kids. At one time it all seemed worth it, it was/is a hobby for me, and I was delighted with the results, love it really. But the facts are there was absolutely no provision made (as of yet) for me to maintain a return on my investment, this specifically in the context of my plans to expand my platform to additional rooms in the house. No opportunity whatsoever. Perhaps one is forthcoming, I hope that is the case and will be cheerful, grateful, and celebrate with the community, Jeff, and Google their acknowledgment of the delima I/we have been thrust upon.

Yes, I care for Jeff and his success, I am hopeful his influence at Google will yeild a much better digital media experience for all of us beyond our hopes, imagination, or what would have been possible with SageTV...but there can be no dispute that the current state of affairs remains hurtful to myself and my family, and I am not alone in this community.

Respectfully,

George
Old 07-14-2011, 08:27 AM
SageTVaholic

gman,
I feel the same way about that Betamax. Damn that Sony for not continuing a use path for my investment in that system. And they didn't even offer me a "sorry" or anything!

I think that's the point others are trying to make. does it kinda stink that we spent all that money on a system that is no longer being sold? yes.
can we still use that stuff if we want? yes
can we sell our extenders and move on if we just can't hack it anymore? yes
will Jeff offer any information about Google's plans or start selling licenses or HD300s again ever? Probably not.

It is what it is. You have every right to complain and be upset. It's really not worth it though in my opinion. It's out of our control - and really Jeffs control now so I plan to make the most of what I have.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:39 AM
SageTVaholic

I have a beta VCR my parents bought for around $1000. Have an 8 track that still works. I also have an old cartridge based Laser disc player. Where's my investment return? Oh wait, I got to enjoy them while they were in use. I forgot.

Now to get back on topic. (BTW, can we change the thread title to "SageTV acquired by Google. Can't do anything about it. Might as well have some beer")

I've been looking at the Belgium beers and I've found a new place to get some. The United Market Street close to me has a HUGE beer selection. As for the Belgium beers, they seem to have mostly 21oz (I think) bottles. That's quite a lot for how much alcohol they have. I got a Flying Dog lager that was pretty good. I had thought they were based out of Colorado when they are actually out of Maryland.

One question I do have is why are most breweries making Ales over Lager/pils or anything else I'm forgetting?

Last edited by panteragstk; 07-14-2011 at 08:42 AM.

Tags
acquisition, beer, google, googletv