SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:07 PM
Sage Fanatic

I don't know what the terms of the purchase are...but if there are any plans for the SageTV Dev team to move to Mountain View, then just let us know and I'll organize the local users to throw a welcome barbeque! It wouldn't be summer in California without beer and tri-tip by the pool.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:24 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylia View Post
It wouldn't be summer in California without beer and tri-tip by the pool.
That better be micro-brew; the mass produced stuff is against the law in NorCal. Or perhaps thats just my circle of friends :-)
Old 07-11-2011, 04:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVB View Post
That better be micro-brew; the mass produced stuff is against the law in NorCal. Or perhaps thats just my circle of friends :-)
Beer against the law??? That's a world I don't want to live in.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylia View Post
I don't know what the terms of the purchase are...but if there are any plans for the SageTV Dev team to move to Mountain View, then just let us know and I'll organize the local users to throw a welcome barbeque! It wouldn't be summer in California without beer and tri-tip by the pool.
There's a strong possibility he's working in Irvine or Santa Monica... closer to home for him at least... (there are like 50 openings posted at the Santa Monica office).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room

Last edited by Fuzzy; 07-11-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
Beer against the law??? That's a world I don't want to live in.
I'm not sure I'd consider Budweiser "beer", and I was in a fraternity in college :-)
Old 07-11-2011, 09:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I'm not sure I'd consider Budweiser "beer", and I was in a fraternity in college :-)
The German government doesn't! It's hard to take it seriously as a beer when RICE is very prominently listed on the front of the can.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Very true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david1234 View Post
The German government doesn't! It's hard to take it seriously as a beer when RICE is very prominently listed on the front of the can.
Also true. Those Germans know their beer. I've been trying anything I can find lately and the German breweries have been my favorites. Spaten is the best one I've had so far. They've only been brewing beer for over 600 years or so. It is hard to drink anything not micro-brewed now (brewed in this country that is).
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:46 AM
Sage Icon

The fermentation of any fruit is called wine, the fermantation of any grain including rice is called beer so, on a technical level, Bud is beer but on an aesthetic level it is p**swater. So are all the mass-produced labels. But, it's not because of the rice, it's because it's a crappy recipe.

Personally, I only drink homebrew or select microbrew.

S

P.S. The light flavored American style came about during the world wars when a significant number of the country's men were overseas fighting. The beer companies were forced to appeal to the remaining women in order to survive so they started making much lighter beers. Unfortunately the new recipes stuck even after the wars ended and the men came home.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:17 AM
SageTVaholic

We are getting way OT but I believe the other reason that American beer is fairly light is that corn sugar is used in addition to malted barley - since corn is very plentiful (and cheap) in the US - hence the use of high fructose corn syrup in all kinds of products including Coca-Cola (and there are diehards who believe that Kosher Coke or Mexican Coke are far superior) . "True" beers only use malted barley as their sugar source while commercial bueers use a bunch of other grain sugars such as rice, corn, etc.

Here in Canada we say that American beer is like making love in a canoe - it is f'ing close to water. But most mass-produced Canadian beers are just as insipid but tend to have a slightly higher Alcohol content.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:22 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Here in Canada we say that American beer is like making love in a canoe - it is f'ing close to water.
I'm stealing that one.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:45 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
We are getting way OT
Oh I dunno about that; with all the stuff G* has going on plus their average age, they may need to buy a brewery soon. That'd guarantee I'd stick with Google..
Old 07-12-2011, 11:39 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Those Germans know their beer. I've been trying anything I can find lately and the German breweries have been my favorites. Spaten is the best one I've had so far. They've only been brewing beer for over 600 years or so. It is hard to drink anything not micro-brewed now (brewed in this country that is).
The Germans learned from the Belgians and the Czechs. If you want good beer try those.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:44 AM
Sage Aficionado

I second that one.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I second that one.
Makes sense that you would, too bad real beer isn't easy to come by in Texas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
The Germans learned from the Belgians and the Czechs. If you want good beer try those.
I've tried a few Czech beers and one Belgian that were pretty good. But where I live there aren't many places to get decent imported beer. I'm going to try World Market as they are supposed to have the best selection.

EDIT: I also tend to lean toward Bock and Lager's more than Ale's. I've had some excellent ale's but I don't really prefer the hoppiness of the ale, especially the IPA's. Anybody got anything they'd like to recommend? I need to extend my bottle collection. I've almost had 70 different beers in the past 6 months. Kroger's selection doesn't really go further than that.

Last edited by panteragstk; 07-12-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Honestly, if I want to enjoy a beer, I go with a less hoppy ale (like an amber or brown ale), or a heffe... If I'm hot, and thirsty.. I drink bud light. Sure, it's almost like water.. but it's also almost like beer.. and water is good for you and refreshing, right?

Is that any different than any of the other flavored waters on the market?

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-12-2011, 01:12 PM
Sage User

LONDON -- Alcohol is more dangerous than illegal drugs like heroin and crack cocaine, according to a new study.

British experts evaluated substances including alcohol, cocaine, heroin, ecstasy and marijuana, ranking them based on how destructive they are to the individual who takes them and to society as a whole. Researchers analyzed how addictive a drug is and how it harms the human body, in addition to other criteria like environmental damage caused by the drug, its role in breaking up families and its economic costs, such as health care, social services, and prison.

Heroin, crack cocaine and methamphetamine, or crystal meth, were the most lethal to individuals. When considering their wider social effects, alcohol, heroin and crack cocaine were the deadliest. But overall, alcohol outranked all other substances, followed by heroin and crack cocaine. Marijuana, ecstasy and LSD scored far lower.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Psychiatry/Addictions/23081
Old 07-12-2011, 01:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Honestly, if I want to enjoy a beer, I go with a less hoppy ale (like an amber or brown ale), or a heffe... If I'm hot, and thirsty.. I drink bud light. Sure, it's almost like water.. but it's also almost like beer.. and water is good for you and refreshing, right?

Is that any different than any of the other flavored waters on the market?
Interesting that we share the same usage of bud light. I do like the amber and brown ales, but that depends on the brewery. Texas has a surprisingly good amount of micro brewers that produce some really good stuff. I just wish I could get some of the stuff Flying Dog brews. Since it is brewed in the US Texas won't categorize it as a "malt liquor" like they do the imported stuff that is very strong. As annoying as that is at least I don't live in Oklahoma. Bud light is half the alcohol there that it is here. You actually are drinking water.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Makes sense that you would, too bad real beer isn't easy to come by in Texas...
True, but I have only been here for 10 months and let me say that American beef is by far the best. I haven't had a decent burger or steak anywhere in Europe. They got wonderful bread, cheese and beer; but come on, what good is a great beer without an awesome burger to enjoy it with.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonen View Post
True, but I have only been here for 10 months and let me say that American beef is by far the best. I haven't had a decent burger or steak anywhere in Europe. They got wonderful bread, cheese and beer; but come on, what good is a great beer without an awesome burger to enjoy it with.
The burger dilemma I understand, but a good steak? I never would have thought about that.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:36 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonen View Post
I've actually had some pretty good steaks in Germany, though you are right that in general your odds of getting a good steak are much higher in the US. Plus, steak is a heck of a lot cheaper in the US.

Japan has a reputation for some of the best beef (Kobe), but any beef in Japan is ridiculously expensive (not a whole lot of good grazing land there for raising cattle).
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR

Tags
acquisition, beer, google, googletv