SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:52 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
But BTV is basically as dead as SageTV is so it doesn't seem like a viable alternative.
Like I said in my post, each option has both good and bad points. BTV development has been dead for a while now, BUT you can still purchase copies of the software, they are still providing support (there was an issue with the guide server recently that they took care of promptly), and they haven't expressed any plans to shut off the EPG service (and can't reasonably continue selling the software without it). So it is still a viable option if the current feature set is satisfactory.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

Now I know

960 posts on what Google may do, or may not do or what we should do. Now that it is all clear to me, I think I'll just continue to enjoy my SageTV.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:27 AM
Sage User

I rarely have a rant but this is it I felt so upset when I heard the news it was like having the wind kicked out of us. If Google had any respect for us they would have told us what they were doing with the store and made the HD300's available in some form or the other. I cannot blame the owner of sage for making the sale but Google leaving customers without any way to expand or continue there hobby is not on. When digital everywhere (Firedtv) shutdown they offered customers stock for some time and even updated the drivers for a reasonable time frame. Companies taking over a product should do it in a nicer way then just putting a letter on the front door that tells you very little I don't buy into this way of doing business especially from a company that can afford to do it better. It smacks of who cares about the little guy and the people that made this product great including the great programmers in the sage team and the community. They just want to take some feature out of the product that others have sweated over for years and make millions out of it.
Come on Google show the people here some sort of respect don't just dump all over us. This should not take days or weeks to sort out, I know that you may not want to continue Sage in its present form but at least give people here a way to move forward with their existing systems. Please don't shutdown the forums, the store, the HD300's, the licences keep the dream alive if only for a little longer who knows whatever you wanted in Sagetv may be there is more to come.

Last edited by sandyj; 06-29-2011 at 05:35 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:33 AM
Sage User

HD100 Fix

Can i still send in my HD100 to get the capacitor fixed or do i need to get my soldering iron out?
Old 06-29-2011, 09:07 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavRic View Post
Can i still send in my HD100 to get the capacitor fixed or do i need to get my soldering iron out?
I would imagine you would need the soldering iron, unfortunately..
Source(1): DirecTV H21, HD-PVR (E1) driver 1.5.7
Source(2): HDHomeRun, Winegard GS-2200
Old 06-29-2011, 09:22 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trini0 View Post
I would imagine you would need the soldering iron, unfortunately..
It works ... did mine a couple of months ago ... I wonder how long I can keep it going barring any major explosions.

On the other had ... with the API and the json / xml extensions ... someone should be able to conjure up an app that runs on the WD Live that uses that to get data ... and maybe even display it and play video over DNLA ? Or maybe write an iPhone app that allows you to schedule shows and manage the sagetv while you watch via another front end??
Old 06-29-2011, 11:46 AM
Sage User

As long as the server software records and keeps working barring any tech changes that it cant handle we just need an app to turn the recordings/media folders in to a UPNP share and done.......
Old 06-29-2011, 11:56 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by David HVR1600 View Post
As long as the server software records and keeps working barring any tech changes that it cant handle we just need an app to turn the recordings/media folders in to a UPNP share and done.......
That depends on whether you want a visually attractive UI. Today you can use lots of other HT software programs to browse and play media files - but getting all of the metadata and other niceties (like fanart) is more the problem, as well as the ability to schedule recordings, browse the guide and play Live and/or currently recording TV.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:17 AM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to wbarber69 Send a message via AIM to wbarber69 Send a message via MSN to wbarber69 Send a message via Yahoo to wbarber69
Quote:
Originally Posted by basset View Post
It works ... did mine a couple of months ago ... I wonder how long I can keep it going barring any major explosions.

On the other had ... with the API and the json / xml extensions ... someone should be able to conjure up an app that runs on the WD Live that uses that to get data ... and maybe even display it and play video over DNLA ? Or maybe write an iPhone app that allows you to schedule shows and manage the sagetv while you watch via another front end??
If the WDLive was a viable extender Someone would have done it and posted how to on this forum. As for the iPhone you can use the mobile web server to schedule and watch recordings on any idevice.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:33 AM
Sage Advanced User

Damn, just bought my HD300 not too long ago... and got a sweet setup and was building a setup for my parents... i go online to buy them an HD300 and GOOGLE bought SageTV... Great...

I swear if support doesnt go past 1 year i will cry... i have spent a lot of time and money tweaking my system this past year...its finally working great... and I am in the process of building my parents, i guess that is cancelled since I cant get an HD300 for them now. I told them to buy it a few months ago... Ugh.

On the other hand this could improve support on my android....most likely not.

Last edited by The Truth; 07-02-2011 at 02:31 AM.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:57 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatvent View Post
I saw the comments on just hiring talented programmers. I think the idea of acquiring an existing company/technology/know how is its quicker and sometimes cheaper to but something out there alread. Developing takes time and may or may not yield what you want. Companies buy other companies as a short cut to either expand market share or enter a new market/niche. I don't think Google is expanding market share or buying SageTV to hire Jeff. If that were the case, they would still be selling SageTV and its related products. I think Google plans on using the technology in the product (streaming, placeshifting, DVR) and bought SageTV to have full control over it (the could of just contracted with SageTV if they wanted). We also don't know Jeff's side of the story. There are also many reasons that go into selling a company. Maybe SageTV was just scaping by, maybe Jeff is tired of trying to grow a company and keep it moving and just wants to go to work and spend more time with friends and family, maybe Google misvalued his technology and made him an offer he couldn't refuse, maybe Jeff always wanted to work at a big company like Google. There are certainly parts of the story that have not been told so all we can do is look at the signs....SageTV, outside if minimal support, has ceased operations. I would also venture to guess that liquidating extenders in any way would not be very profitable and probably conflicts with the reasons Google bought SageTV.
I Work in the Same Building with Google in NYC, I know some employees, they have it really good at Google... The have a gym and get a lot of perks.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:28 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Dear Google,

I understand that there is usually a blackout period when any company purchases another company so you can’t comment. I also understand that the current business model of SageTV might not be the direction that you will be taking this company’s resources in the future. To a lot of us SageTV is not a onetime purchase. SageTV is such an extendable platform that many of us add software licenses and media extenders as needed. As it has been stated many times on this forum since the announcement of the Google acquisition of SageTV that there are many existing customers that were either in the process of upgrading or had plans to upgrade or add additional licenses and extenders to their existing network. The abrupt closing of the SageTV store gave us no chance to purchase additional licenses and extenders. You might not open up the store again. For all we know getting new SageTV customers might not be in your best interests but PLEASE PLEASE allow your existing customer base that already has an investment in a SageTV infrastructure and have been caught in the middle of this buyout with incomplete system build outs to make their final purchases from SageTV. We have an active developer and user base and we are all interested in what the SageTV team does in the future so allowing us to finish our build outs will not keep us from supporting Google’s efforts in the future. There is nothing to gain from keeping existing customers from purchasing additional licenses and hardware even if it is for a limited time but there might be something to lose if you don’t.

Sincerely,

Grant Doyle

* merged *
=/
I Agree, also.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:32 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by basset View Post

There is an Iphone App already.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:23 AM
Sage Advanced User

Seriously the onlything Sage needs from google is netflix, cablecard, and audio... I hope this doesnt destroy everyones hard work.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:37 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
Damn, just bought my HD300 not too long ago... and got a sweet setup and was building a setup for my parents... i go online to buy them an HD300 and GOOGLE bought SageTV... Great...

I swear if support doesnt go past 1 year i will cry... i have spent a lot of time and money tweaking my system this past year...its finally working great... and I am in the process of building my parents, i guess that is cancelled since I cant get an HD300 for them now. I told them to buy it a few months ago... Ugh.

On the other hand this could improve support on my android....most likely not.
Most of us are staying with SageTV and for now you can get extenders on eBay (but usually at much higher price). You can't buy the software though so if you don't already have a license for your parents that won't help.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:30 AM
Sage User

Pretty sad...

Pretty sad that I go to the sagetv.com site and all I get is a splash page/message with no details, or links to a support site, etc? Just an email address that no doubt leads into a black hole.

I want to congratulate the SageTV folks for no doubt cashing in, but as a customer I am really bummed out.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:50 AM
Sage Icon

^ Go to http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/ if you want to leave a message for the SageTV team.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:02 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiatmonkey View Post
Pretty sad that I go to the sagetv.com site and all I get is a splash page/message with no details, or links to a support site, etc? Just an email address that no doubt leads into a black hole.

I want to congratulate the SageTV folks for no doubt cashing in, but as a customer I am really bummed out.
While I'm taking a wait and see attitude regarding how I feel about the buy out, Google, in my eyes is either showing arrogance and even contempt for SageTV existing and potential customers or is incredibly ignorant and inept.

I suppose that might not be an either/or choice.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:13 AM
Sage User

Hrmph. Looks like it's time for me to start looking at the dwindling number of alternatives out there. I was just waiting for some birthday money to upgrade to v7. So much for that. I'm now stuck on outdated software indefinitely. Not to mention no extenders. This is a disappointing end to 8 years invested in the product.

If Google actually continues the product in a form that is compatible with how we use it now, then great, I'll be back in a heartbeat. But I don't expect to learn that for some months. And I expect it to be far more likely that we're just looking at investing hundreds of dollars in a hardware product that bears little resemblance to the Sage that I love.

I'm frustrated and disappointed. I'm sure Google will produce a product that is compelling in its own way, but I've been moving closer and closer to my own little media utopia, and now I feel stopped in my tracks.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:25 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringobob View Post
I was just waiting for some birthday money to upgrade to v7.
You get a free upgrade from version 5 or 6 if you read some more...
TbSageTV (1.02)/STVRemote (1.11): Monitor/control SageTV with a PlayBook 2
TiSageTV (1.64)/TiSTVRemote (1.09): Monitor/control SageTV with an iPhone/iPod/iPad

Tags
acquisition, beer, google, googletv