SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:32 PM
Sage Expert

My first reaction was selfish to be pessimist, but time to step back.

Congrats to Jeff. Job well done. Every bussiness must have some end game plans and this one is what most people wish for.

Time to make my wildest predictions and then check with my friends at google :-)
1. GoogleTV will be dead. Extenders will replace it
2. Sage gui will get professional make over
3. YouTube, google news, voice, search, music, earth and other services will become first class citizens with seamless integration
4. Google will come up with network tuners ala cablevision
5. The home server will be extended to Internet server where standalone versions will use Googles backend for access Internet media in the cloud (music, video, picassa, etc.)

TV: Samsung UN46D8000
Server: Intel Core i3 540, 4G RAM, Matrox G450, 70GB EXT3 encrypted software RAID1 system drive, 1TB XFS tv recording drive, 2TB EXT3 encrypted data drive mirror across 2 machines, 2TB EXT3 encrypted media drive mirror across 2 machines, CentOS 6 64 bit, Experimenting with DNLA servers
1Gb wired network
Disconnected after G day[HD 100 Media Extender, Placeshifter 7.x, SageTV 7.x, HDHomeRun]
Old 06-18-2011, 06:32 PM
Sage Expert

I think it's BS that they announce this without telling us what will happen to existing users at the same time. People have spent hundreds of dollars on SageTV products and developers have spent hundreds (if not more) of hours making free plugins. Without these 2 groups of people, SageTV could not have been successful and ultimately purchased by Google. The fact that we are essentially ignored in the announcement really bothers me.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
Why release v 7.1.9 if they knew this was coming and SageTV was going to die? Right now this is all speculation. We have no clue what this actually means.
I am sure they continued dev until the deal was finalized didn't want to count their eggs before they hatched

[QUOTE=panteragstk;502691
I was about to purchase wire (lots and lots) to wire up my theater room, but that is now on hold until I find out what's going on with this. I'm going to be really pissed if we just got screwed. But, I doubt that Jeff would just leave us out in the rain like that unless they made him a ridiculous offer he couldn't refuse. The way things have gone in the past tell me that this is good for us and sage. We've trusted Jeff this long, lets keep up the trust.[/QUOTE]

Again money talks and I wouldn't take any of it personally against Jeff anyone would do the same thing. Regardless of the effect on sagetv users. I would think it will be a while before you hear anything.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:36 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
Why release v 7.1.9 if they knew this was coming and SageTV was going to die?
Those negotiations typically take time and often abort, you don't want to put everything on old...
TbSageTV (1.02)/STVRemote (1.11): Monitor/control SageTV with a PlayBook 2
TiSageTV (1.64)/TiSTVRemote (1.09): Monitor/control SageTV with an iPhone/iPod/iPad
Old 06-18-2011, 06:39 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to wbarber69 Send a message via AIM to wbarber69 Send a message via MSN to wbarber69 Send a message via Yahoo to wbarber69
Rally people

Let's be herd people either we get a definitive answer on the future of sage or we start a campaign to at least get them to refund all the money we've spent on this product in the past I'm not happy with a 110 dollar piece of software if it's going to be killed off. Hell it took me 2 years of using cracked versions an testing and building before I was happy with buying the full version. What's going to happen now, no matter how it goes it will never be the same.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:40 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbarber69 View Post
Let's be herd people either we get a definitive answer on the future of sage or we start a campaign to at least get them to refund all the money we've spent on this product in the past I'm not happy with a 110 dollar piece of software if it's going to be killed off. Hell it took me 2 years of using cracked versions an testing and building before I was happy with buying the full version. What's going to happen now, no matter how it goes it will never be the same.
You will get no where with that approach sorry but that is a risk you take buying anything. Companies are bought and sold all the time. And if it keeps working in it's current state then you have even less of a case.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:42 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to wbarber69 Send a message via AIM to wbarber69 Send a message via MSN to wbarber69 Send a message via Yahoo to wbarber69
I want stock options dammit
Old 06-18-2011, 06:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

What's the warranty on the 300? Since everything is now locked down if my 300 dies how exactly do I get service? Selling to Google doesn't get them out of those obligations.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:45 PM
Sage Icon

"Hundreds" of dollars spent?

I just did a rough tally of my investment in SageTV since 2004.....

4 iterations of brand new server hardware (total apx $3500)
8TB of hard drive storage (total apx $1300)
3x PVR250 cards (total apx $600)
2x some digital cable tuner I can't even remember -experimental (total apx $600)
2x HDHR (total apx $500)
2x HDPVR (total apx $450)
1x HD300 (total $150)
2x HD200 (total $400)
2x HD100 (total $400)
2x mediaMVP (total $200)
2x full copies of sagetv (apx $160)
5 place shifter licenses (apx $100)
2x sagetv client software (apx $80)

Apx total investment in sage.... $8440.

CRAP--- my wife just came in the room.... Can't let her see this!

Very depressing that there is a good chance this will all be terminated by Google. At the very least, I think we are going to get an email VERY SOON stating "in an effort to bring you the best possible service, we are going to require a small monthly fee".... Can anyone NOT see this coming?
Old 06-18-2011, 06:47 PM
Sage Aficionado

Just found out - holly cr*p. Going back to post #1 and starting my read.

Wow!!
Old 06-18-2011, 06:49 PM
Sage Icon

I think what would be very telling is whether Jeff is now an employee of Google (Chief Media Officer???), or if he was bought out and now has a non-compete clause for x months. Hopefully, it's the former and not the latter.
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 06-18-2011, 06:51 PM
Sage Expert

Is it possible to take this thing and all our plugins underground
Old 06-18-2011, 06:52 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAbbott View Post
I think what would be very telling is whether Jeff is now an employee of Google (Chief Media Officer???), or if he was bought out and now has a non-compete clause for x months. Hopefully, it's the former and not the latter.
Yeah, I too was wondering what Jeff's role is going to be going forward... I'm still in shock!
Old 06-18-2011, 06:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

Anyone have a link for the latest version? I never dl'd it
Old 06-18-2011, 06:54 PM
Sage Icon

That's the end of SageTV. It will go the way of Meedio - never to be heard from again. Along with my sizable investment in extenders, HD-PVR's, SW, time and effort. Not to mention there is nothing out there to replace it.

S
Old 06-18-2011, 06:57 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbarber69 View Post
Hell it took me 2 years of using cracked versions an testing and building before I was happy with buying the full version.
Idiot, so how much did you steal before you spent money?

Add to this, you already have what you bought, no-one is taking it away, yet you are offended?
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 06-18-2011, 07:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

My gut says SageTV is dead was we know it!

Ill bet we will see 1 of 3 things happen

1 - SageTV Dead
2 - SageTV components will be rolled into another Google product (ie: backend used for GoogleTV)
3 - SageTV continued as a separate Google Product

If I were a betting man, Id bet on #2
Old 06-18-2011, 07:02 PM
Sage User

First off - Congrats to Jeff and the entire Sage team. When I first read the announcement my gut reaction was given I've got 4 x HD300s, 1 server, 1 client, and just got through fighting the Ceton card into a stable configuration.

I wouldn't expect support to last forever but some position statement would be great so we can all plan out what to do next. I'd personally be happy if they just did something simple like promised a trade-in / rebate program for legacy Sage users on whatever the eventual Google replacement is. I'm not expecting 100% credit but something greater than 0 would be great.

Again - way to go Jeff and team.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet View Post
Anyone have a link for the latest version? I never dl'd it

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56033

If that page disappears

SageTV for Windows
http://download.sage.tv/SageTV_V7_1_9Setup.exe

SageTVClient for Windows
http://download.sage.tv/SageTVClient_V7_1_9Setup.exe

SageTVPlaceshifter for Windows
http://download.sage.tv/SageTVPlaces...7_1_9Setup.exe

SageTV for Windows Home Server
http://download.sage.tv/SageTV_V7_1_9Setup-WHS.msi

SageTV Media Center for Linux
http://download.sage.tv/linuxbeta/server_7.1.9.tar.gz

SageTV Placeshifter for Linux
http://download.sage.tv/linuxbeta/mi...t_7.1.9.tar.gz

SageTV Media Center for Linux - Debian Package Installer
http://download.sage.tv/linuxbeta/sa...7.1.9_i386.deb

SageTV Placeshifter for Linux - Debian Package Installer
http://download.sage.tv/linuxbeta/sa...7.1.9_i386.deb
Old 06-18-2011, 07:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminben View Post
Its longer than that.... try about 3 years..... pretty much the same as Ortus. And then there's BMT, Diamond, SMM etc.
Yep, July of 2008 is when we started on Phoenix. I can't believe it's been that long.

But whoo hoo - public beta (of Phoenix) will start around the 3 year mark Crazy how things work out.

btl.

Tags
acquisition, beer, google, googletv