SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:13 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by perholm View Post
Hi,

I've been reading all this with great nervousness. If we keep EPG, I can keep my setup running for ages.

Anyway, it seems that nobody is really considering an obvious reason Google might have to buy SageTV -- an operating system for televisions. Google doesn't want to make hardware. Like Android, Google wants to provide an operating system for free that all handset manufacturers can use for free, and which comes with an eco-system, a plug-in structure. SageTV is already based on Java, and therefore ultra-portable and ultra-cross-platform. It can run on a lot of different hardware.

Is it so far fetched that Google was SageTV to become an operating system for TVs and set-top boxes, one that comes pre-loaded with every feature you can imagine and that developers can plug in to and write "apps" for, which will run on every TV? And if every TV in the house is part of the same eco-system, then media sharing becomes technically trivial.

I think that's what Google wants SageTV for. An OS for TVs. Like Android for cell phones.

Of course that means that us regular users are screwed. But we probably couldn't expect the world to stay static forever. As long as we can keep some EPG source, I think that SageTV have held their end of the bargain. Without an EPG possibility, they're instead pulled the kill-switch on existing systems. I don't think they want to do that. Otherwise they wouldn't be opening the support form and posting latest versions. Obviously they have deep care for their existing users. But the world cannot stay static.

SageTV could end up being the big fish, like Android, although obviously not in its current form.

Best,

Per
Per,

That's kinda what I was getting at in my post earlier. When I mention GoogleTV, I am talking about the OS, not the hardware itself. The hardware is actually Sony/Logitech etc. Google wants Andriod to be a home OS and they probably want to populate it with Killer Apps. Just like Google's killer app for Andriod phones was their Google Navigation app they gave away for free, their DVR app (SageTV) could be the killer App they need on Andriod@Home in order to make their OS the go-to app for Home devices from BD players, DVRs, TVs, steamers, etc. Google's not selling the hardware, but the kind of hardware they can support is important. With the aquistion of SageTV they can now support hardware with DVR capability. Combine multiple GoogleOS devices in the home and you have your home entertainment center tailored to your preferences. That's why SageTV's systems were needed rather than just building their own. SageTV was the best DVR system with distributed recording and extender functionality built in from the begining. It would have been very expensive if Google had wanted to build such a system from scratch, and there is no garuntee that it would have been as stable or as feature rich as what SageTV built.

I hope they got at least $10m for it. I would be disappointed to learn it was just $5m. I think that is was worth it. Especially considering how plug and play the software is for Google. I bet they already have a version of the software running on a GoogleTV. Now Jeff, go buy something fast like a boat, car, or a fancy trip, but make sure you save the rest and invest it wisely. And, there's no shame in owning a used Porsche or Ferrari (money pit). Let the other suckers pay the depreciation for you and you still get to enjoy a new car with only 10-20k miles on it. A frugal rich guy stays rich longer...

Last edited by autoboy; 06-21-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainbone View Post
Keys are not "activated" to back to SageTV, however client keys are "activated" on your server. So, if you move a client key from one PC to another, you need to restart your SageTV server before it will allow the new PC to connect (and now the "old" client PC will no longer be allowed to connect, if it's still using the same key).
What about SageTV server licenses. Do they phone the mother ship?

Could you have multiple PCs using one server license on the same LAN?
Old 06-21-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
What about SageTV server licenses. Do they phone the mother ship?
No it dosen't call your favorites Aliens and Predator over for tea

Quote:
Yes and No
1 Server only but all you eat PCs using one license on the same lan as a non server mean that will not work as a client if I recall rigth.

Last edited by SHS; 06-21-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

version 7 upgrade

So is there any way now as a owner of version 6 to upgrade to version 7?

I know that the trial/beta versions are available for version 7 but after 21 days I won't be able to stay with version 7 without an upgrade key.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gexi View Post
So is there any way now as a owner of version 6 to upgrade to version 7?

I know that the trial/beta versions are available for version 7 but after 21 days I won't be able to stay with version 7 without an upgrade key.
There no way with out a upgrade key you best option is got back to version 6
Old 06-21-2011, 06:54 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by perholm View Post
Anyway, it seems that nobody is really considering an obvious reason Google might have to buy SageTV -- an operating system for televisions. Google doesn't want to make hardware.
Google already has this -- it's called GoogleTV. GoogleTV is basically Android, but for the TV.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
My understanding is that duplicate key checking occurs on the server. You could probably run as many server instances as you'd like on one lan, but you can't connect them to each other. That is, if you tried to connect a server running in client mode to your actual server (using the same key), I'm pretty sure Sage would detect that and not allow it.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

My wife has stated that I better have a backup plan to keep her sagetv up and running for the long hall. To much money invested and she likes the system.
Serv:ECS H61H2-T1 ITX I7 3770S CPU@3.1GHZ 8G Ram WIN1064 HDPVR, HD Homerun|network encoder Unraid Server:B75MU3B I5-3550 CPU@3.30GHz 9TB 16G Ram|Network HDPVR encoder:Win10 VM 8G Ram with Processor passthrough. Directv Http tuning to Genie, exemultitunplugin to Genie client. Http scheduled task bat file to defeat screensaver on Genie. Usb uirt scheduled task bat file to defeat screensaver on Genie client. Clients Android TV, Samsung TAB A
Old 06-21-2011, 07:00 PM
Sage User

Exciting news for the Sage crew! I've been a Sage user since 2005 and absolutely love your product. As long as EPG data is available, I will continue using it until something better comes along.

For those with 7.0.23, I just upgraded to 7.1.9 and it works great! Might as well install the last version.

Google is the one company that has the capital and resources to make Sage into an incredible product.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:07 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
I honestly think Jeff is sitting there reading this thread and thinking to himself "if only they knew, and I can't tell them yet."

It all boils down to the fact that we have no clue. That's it.
The way mergers and acquisitions go, it is doubtful Jeff knows how it will all really fall out. If he thinks he does, he will have to fight for what he wants because Google has their own ideas and quite likely did NOT reveal everything to Jeff prior to the completion of the acquisition.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:33 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
My wife has stated that I better have a backup plan to keep her sagetv up and running for the long hall. To much money invested and she likes the system.
Make sure you image your system periodically, at least once a month. Keep several older images. You might also use a second imaging product for redundancy. Acronis has a 'plus pack' that allows you to recover the image on different hardware. You need to be able to recover to different hardware if your system board fails. Store the images on three separate drives, one stored off site if possible.

Also store different SageTV installation versions and your license keys on those three drives. You might also store the license keys on web based e-mail that won't go away. On-line backup might be another option.

Dave
Old 06-21-2011, 07:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Make sure you image your system periodically, at least once a month. Keep several older images. You might also use a second imaging product for redundancy. Acronis has a 'plus pack' that allows you to recover the image on different hardware. You need to be able to recover to different hardware if your system board fails. Store the images on three separate drives, one stored off site if possible.
I really think Acronis should be sending you monthly checks!
Old 06-21-2011, 07:44 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Now that Google owns SageTV, what's next for SageTV customers? Some answers from Google/SageTV:http://www.geektonic.com/2011/06/wha...mers-post.html
WTF How hard would it be for someone from Sage to get on this forum and provide us with such information? Or did they and I just missed it. Why does someone have to ask these type questions and why do we have to visit the bloody website to read about the future of our purchases?

This is total BS. Has the entire world become pissboys to corporations? This is disgusting behaviour.

If someone from Sage had the balls to post about these issues, I apologize in advance, but from the length of this thread and the ramblings I read within- looks like everyone is more or less in the dark.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:53 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
My understanding is that duplicate key checking occurs on the server. You could probably run as many server instances as you'd like on one lan, but you can't connect them to each other. That is, if you tried to connect a server running in client mode to your actual server (using the same key), I'm pretty sure Sage would detect that and not allow it.
But I could use license A as a client to server license B and and the use license B (on a different PC) as a client to server license A.

In other words with two licenses one could use them as 2 clients and 2 servers over a total of 4 PCs.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:02 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan1138 View Post
Can it stream full 1:1 blu ray rips with HD audio?
The aTV can not do 1:1 rips. In fact very few players can truly do 1:1 rips (Dune HD comes to mind as player that can play 1:1 rips). Key is to look at for the Bluray licensing logo.

Other players like PCH have limited 1:1 playback capability and can not mimic the menus completely. I believe even the HD300 falls in here.

The aTV is a nice simple product providing you can play in Apples ball park ie h.264 in mp4 at 720p 24fps. Any deviation and you will need jailbrake and load up XBMC which does work well however expect 1080p content to struggle until next hardware refresh or you get a gen one player, add broadcom HD card, and load linux as thats the only way get 1080p output. Hacked g1 aTV still only outputs 720p.

Hope that helps. My setup is 5 aTV's with Windows Home Server as my centralized storage point.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:03 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieFreak View Post
WTF How hard would it be for someone from Sage to get on this forum and provide us with such information? Or did they and I just missed it. Why does someone have to ask these type questions and why do we have to visit the bloody website to read about the future of our purchases?

This is total BS. Has the entire world become pissboys to corporations? This is disgusting behaviour.

If someone from Sage had the balls to post about these issues, I apologize in advance, but from the length of this thread and the ramblings I read within- looks like everyone is more or less in the dark.
Deep breath, deep breath. Now that SageTV is owned by Google, they can't do anything without Google's approval.
TV Storage: 11 TB (4x1.5TB for recording, 5TB for archive)
Clients: 3
SageTV Extenders:5
Old 06-21-2011, 08:07 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieFreak View Post

Do you feel better for getting that out? eeesh.. its only been a few days. Things like this happen so just be faithful in the people that have taken you this far and hope they continue to bring you further.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:14 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aflat View Post
Android is java, sage is java. It would make sense for them to roll Sage into the Android platform, and make money off the market apps/ads/profile data like they do now for phones, but do it instead for set top boxes for cable companies/tivo/boxee whatever. Their userbase could increase a ton. Think about how many phones you have compared to how many TV's you have.

Purely a guess, but I can see the server going open source, and being added to the Android license.
I would love to see the server as a free backend, and placeshifter becoming to "tv streaming" android app we have all wanted.

And to those b&**()N about no info, my guess is Jeff is crying reading these forums wishing he could say something, but is prevented to by an NDA of sorts.

You know he has always supported this community, and this is his baby. Lay off. Give it time (weeks, or months, not days you impatient, insensitive.. etc.)
8tb RAID5 storage/media/other &3tb RAID5 backup storage on a HighPoint RocketRaid 2680
1tb 3 disk Recording Pool
all in a beautiful Antec 1200
SageMyMovies/Comskip/PlayON/SageDCT/SRE
HD100/HD300 extenders
Old 06-21-2011, 08:20 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post

Also store different SageTV installation versions and your license keys on those three drives. You might also store the license keys on web based e-mail that won't go away. On-line backup might be another option.

Dave
I store copies of the drivers, licenses and sage software on may unraid server, and a copy of the sage directory. When I have problems. I just copy over the sage directory and that normally solves my issues. I also Emailed a copy of all my license keys to my self to be stored in my web account. I use all PC clients, so their are no extender issues. Need a way to get fresh plugins if the plugin server disappears. I guess a copy of sage directors and property file will have to do. All my boot drives solid state on server and clients are solid state, and I expect them to last for years. Just waiting to see what happens.
Serv:ECS H61H2-T1 ITX I7 3770S CPU@3.1GHZ 8G Ram WIN1064 HDPVR, HD Homerun|network encoder Unraid Server:B75MU3B I5-3550 CPU@3.30GHz 9TB 16G Ram|Network HDPVR encoder:Win10 VM 8G Ram with Processor passthrough. Directv Http tuning to Genie, exemultitunplugin to Genie client. Http scheduled task bat file to defeat screensaver on Genie. Usb uirt scheduled task bat file to defeat screensaver on Genie client. Clients Android TV, Samsung TAB A
Old 06-21-2011, 08:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
But I could use license A as a client to server license B and and the use license B (on a different PC) as a client to server license A.

In other words with two licenses one could use them as 2 clients and 2 servers over a total of 4 PCs.
Probably. I haven't tried it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I'm pretty sure Sage doesn't "scan" the network looking for other machines with Sage licenses.

Obviously it would be in violation with the terms of use, but given the software isn't for sale I don't really see a moral dilemma with doing something like that.

Tags
acquisition, beer, google, googletv