SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:27 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
this both sucks and blows... although I'm not sure how that is possible
Not been around much, eh?
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 06-21-2011, 02:44 AM
Sage Advanced User

Google - Now what?

Right, I think your PAID users need some more information!

Currently the site has no downloads of sagetv available and is currently dead, but for forums.

When Google bought Gimzo, they disappear overnight and nothing was ever available again.

We have invested lots of money in hardware for extenders nevermind the software.

Please respond with some proper statements regarding on ongoing support of your loyal customer base. Please do not offer us any woolly wish-washy PR type replies with no actual substance to them.

* merged *
Old 06-21-2011, 03:04 AM
Sage User

I'm not in the same situation, but I have the same questions.

I just bought a new PC (Quad i5 - 8GB - 10TB) and a HDHomerun tuner. Everything is set up at home.

The next step - today - was to download the evaluation software to see if I can use it with Linux 64bits. I know it's not officially supported but quite a few users got their ways around it. I'll fall back to Linux 32 if it doesn't work, and to Windows if neither works for me.

The next step (one or two weeks from now) was to buy a license and 6 extenders.

But everything is stalled now and I don't know:
  1. When will I be able to carry on with my original plan?
  2. Will I ever be able to carry on with my plan?
  3. Should I buy a Windows 7 license and a few Xboxes? (the only option AFAIK)

The more pressing question is: When will I have to take a decision. With the complete blackout of communication, this is the more pressing question.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:26 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtvm View Post
First time I saw a GoogleTV box demoed in a store, I thought of two things- these will not be on display for more than 6 months since no one will want them as they are now, and in order to get anywhere they need to serve the primary function of a tv. I did think Google would buy SageTV at that time (but is still a little surprising, as me thinking it doesn't make it happen). They have the linux oem thing and use Java so it seemed like they would be the natural 'target'.

Google wants eyeballs, and tv's are an untapped source of eyeballs for them. But no one wants to turn their tv into a browser (GoogleTV1.0)- we have computers that do that for us. We want to watch (and record) tv shows with our tv's (from our own source ota/cable/sat). In my opinion, anyone wanting the tv 'space' better handle the primary job of the tv, otherwise the eyeballs will not be there. I also think content from the 'cloud' is not the answer either (for the majority of tv owners), unless/until it can replace our current sources- and I don't see how that happens any time soon.

We can all imagine many scenarios unfolding, but I think the only way Google gets anywhere, is if they get Sage-powered-GoogleTV inside the tv. The Google boxes (which I imagine being both server and client capable) would be the equivalent to hdtv converter boxes (needed until there are no more analog-only tv's left, and in this case when there are no more tv's that don't have Sage-powered-GoogleTV inside). The tv has the tuner/input/signal already, so it seems the natural place to record it. I would assume once a manufacturer or two start putting in spgtv (sage-powered-googletv), they will all have to do it- or be left out. Imagine every tv in the home capable of being both a sage server and client, all tv tuners/inputs used as needed, hard drives plugged into any/all tv's and used as needed, etc. (I'm getting carried away).

(I'm sure the legal side of all this is the hard part)

I will keep using my SageTV setup (server,hd200,r5000,hdhomerun) until something better comes along (hopefully sage-powered-whatever), or I am forced to change. I can't imagine it will take much to keep the activation server and program guide going for at least a few years, so I think we will have plenty of time to sort things out (maybe that's wishful thinking).
Generally agreed with this. For "GoogleTV" to really get into the market, it has to perform a function beyond "stream internet videos from NetFlix/hulu/Youtube." As there are Bluray players that already perform that task. Which also brings up the matter that most Bluray players also need to be connected to a network at least periodically for firmware updates. In that context, it makes sense for Google to get into the Network-based DVR setting, where they can then give the Bluray makers, as well as the TV makers, a reason to want to bundle GoogleTV with their product.

In other words, giving them an interface to talk to that network based DVR through their product. If done in a relatively open format(much like android), that could leave it up the device manufacturer to use the Google stock UI, or do their own bit of customization, but leaving the details of operating the recorder up to Google-Sage.

Which also isn't to mention that as many have pointed out, Google is an advertising company, and their best chance at a revenue stream is getting people to use GoogleTV as their TV. Which means they have to be able to show (nearly) live TV. It also has the benefit of potentially giving advertising opportunities while browsing in the program guide, and also potentially while browsing through their video recordings library as well.

The other side of things is that while Google may prefer to deal in the cloud, they have realize that with all the issues Netflix is having with ISP's... They can't put High Definition recordings in the cloud and expect home users to live with that. Most of the US isn't on a Broadband connection able to sustain more the 1 high definition stream at a time(if that), and even if they can support more than that, their ISP is likely to do nasty things to the user if they stream more than a couple hours of programming per night. Now try that in a household with potentially 2 or more high definition streams going at once.

It ("The cloud")isn't a viable solution for bottom/low tier customers in an urban area, and isn't very viable even for moderate/high tier customers in more rural settings. That means that for Google to get deeply into the home video market in the US, there has to be a local recording storage/use capability. If they do it that way, they only really need enough bandwidth to do some minimal banner advertising.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:33 AM
Sage Icon

Also, if a gPVR solution had targeted advertising, it would surely be watched by most users. But certain geeky users would be likely to root and mod their gPVR software and skip those adverts, wouldn't they?
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 06-21-2011, 03:45 AM
Sage Advanced User

The only option for you is number 3. The SageTV store will never reopen.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:54 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joematt View Post
The only option for you is number 3. The SageTV store will never reopen.
is this an anticipation or was that already somewhere released ?

Clients: 3 x MediaMVP, 2 x HD-300, 4 x SageTV Client

Old 06-21-2011, 04:39 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoep View Post
is this an anticipation or was that already somewhere released ?

It is just his own anticipation..... Nothing has been released about the furture.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:40 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgillyon View Post
Also, if a gPVR solution had targeted advertising, it would surely be watched by most users. But certain geeky users would be likely to root and mod their gPVR software and skip those adverts, wouldn't they?
Not much different than people running ad-block programs on their web browsers.

I don't think they(google) would be inserting video advertisements into the ("locally obtained") video itself. It'd probably just be a banner ad somewhere on the screen while in the menus.

Although they could do tracking on you and target some actual advertisements at you when on Youtube or some other video streaming service.

I think the biggest thing Google knows they need is a "local content option" which a cloud-based GoogleTV implementation simply cannot give them. Which isn't to say they can't actively employ some aspects of cloud computing/storage into the product(such as with the placeshifting), it will probably be restricted more to specifically flagged stuff.

The only ones who really know what they're up to are Google Employees at this point. There are plenty of options out there for where they can go.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:47 AM
Sage User

oh, that sucks !!

the longer it takes to get an official statement about roadmaps or stategic plans, the more it is supposed to be be a political statement without substance.

Maybe we have to ask our questions directly at google-forums because colleagues from Sage are already on vacation......
Old 06-21-2011, 04:47 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joematt View Post
The SageTV store will never reopen.
In that case where do we get Extenders from?

It would be shockingly bad of SageTV to shaft its customers who had committed to SageTV and were in the process of putting extenders in as and when they were able to upgrade.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:50 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgillyon View Post
Not been around much, eh?
Not laughed this much in months!
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Tab running TaSageTV.
TVs: 42" Plasma and various LED monitors.
Patiently waiting for customisable menus on v.7
Old 06-21-2011, 04:52 AM
Sage Expert

Ebay for the hardware, until/unless they reopen the store to clear out existing stocks of the H/W. Not sure about the software, they may sit on that one longer, as some speculation is that the source code could eventually be released(as google has done with other projects in the past) making the Software essentially free... Which would make it kind of ethically questionable for them to sell the software to you shortly before doing so.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:53 AM
Sage User

Wink Pun intended

... and for the simpson fans out there...

http://www.wavsource.com/snds_2011-0..._and_blows.wav

Last edited by Smiley; 06-21-2011 at 05:13 AM. Reason: Added link source
Old 06-21-2011, 05:00 AM
Sage Advanced User

From the email:

Quote:
Although we will be shutting down the SageTV store, we will continue to support existing users. We'd also like to continue our dialog with the SageTV community by keeping the forum open for discussion.

SageTV as a company no longer exists. Google is not going to want to support new users.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:13 AM
Sage Aficionado

Random thoughts on the news

--------Some random thoughts on the sale. Congratulations sage team!

Both SageTV & GoogleTV needs a developer community (apps) for success. They both spend a great deal of time/effort to cultivate this community. Do you remember the big money prize giveaway for 'best' android app? Maybe one of our beloved sage devs could take this prize away when the googleTV challenge is announced.

When the G1 android phone was unveiled – I had my doubts android would succeed – It's now at 50% of the market – amazing. Over the past 2 yrs my android phone has eclipsed the usefulness of all my gadgets – even sagetv.

So is this the reason mac software development stopped at v6. ?

During the cablecard/true2way discussion, SageTV/Jeff sent a letter out to some gov office (FCC?) and pushed for fair rights for sagetv in the cablecard arena. I remember also seeing a follow-up about some type of committee which was organized which SageTV and Google were both listed on --- does anyone remember this enough to clarify my memory? – could this have been the start of the relationship between Sage & Google?

Is the future of sagetv (from brents interview with jeff) coming true? One of the main topics in that interview was the development of a consumer device which is plug and play. Server on a stick – ON linux. Although I don't think this would be the core direction for googletv, I do see this as a reasonable possibility as a googletv product in the future. Maybe SageTV talent will be used to develop this back end hardware solution for googletv and it will be called on by an app within the existing googletv extenders. Maybe that backend is already developed and was pitched to google as a product line inside there googletv platform?

About 1yr ago I started considering alternatives to SageTV – why? – 2 reasons.
1) I simply couldn't recommend the product to a non-techy friend or family member (this over the 7 yrs I've used SageTV). Went as far as me building a WMC box for a friend this past spring.
2) In the end I didn't think SageTV could keep up with the big boys on the block – I simply saw GoogleTV or Apple or the cableco's finally catching up to everything we've been enjoying these past years. It's like the big co's were finally taking notice and charging down the path which sagetv has been on so long.
I think this is the only thing sagetv could do to continue in the future. Sure we could have lasted another 1-2 yrs but eventually sagetv 'new' user base would have simply dwindled down to nothing and left the forums full of dinosaurs.

Beta world – google & SageTV love beta development and distribute to a wide audience.

Android apps are not restricted like iphone apps – more freedom
Old 06-21-2011, 05:40 AM
Sage User

I don't think SageTV would have gone the route of the dinosaurs. There are always plenty of people who see the big boy software as useless. We are here because we want more, and we are not the only ones to want it. We don't want to be restricted to the hard drive in your media center. We don't want to be restricted by the memory or CPU in your box. We want it custom because we want it BETTER than what you can get in the public.

In my eyes, there will never be anything better than independent software + customer box. Except for the encrypted stuff, but I guess that's a whole other story.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:08 AM
Sage Advanced User

I feel like I lost a friend...

What an awesome solution! A PC recording TV shows, storing music, family photos, ripped DVDs... distributing playback throughout the house over simple networking.... on completely silent extenders

I had TiVo... I liked TiVo... I sold my TiVo.

I had a PC in my family room... on a custom built, super quiet PC... I dumped that in favor of the silent extenders. First with MVPs, then with HD100s when I went all HD.

A reasonably priced, extendable solution... no monthly fees... content shareable to my PCs... my tv as a large photo album when not actively watching TV. Really cool stuff.

Intuitive. Easy. Family liked it....

I got no less than 5 other people to invest in SageTV solutions over the years. They liked it too.

RIP Sage. We'll miss you. Bummer.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:22 AM
Sage Aficionado

Just to stir up some more speculation.
http://www.androidcentral.com/google...evice-listings
Old 06-21-2011, 06:24 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac View Post
I wonder if they will ever disclose how much the acquisition costs? What are your guesses to what Google paid?
Google paid $30M for Gizmo5 (the voip startup). I would guess sagetv, with both the hardware & software would be higher. My guess is $45M...... Edit - make that $60M ($30 for technology, $20 for hardware, $10 because it's not just a startup)

Last edited by wado1971; 06-21-2011 at 06:29 AM.

Tags
acquisition, beer, google, googletv