SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
It is real.
Is this some kind of sick joke?
Old 06-18-2011, 05:28 PM
Sage Expert

I am also concerned. Most of the technology Google acquired tends to stagnate for a while before it reappears. Also Google TV has been disappoitment. I was about to buy several HD300s but now I have to look for new vendor. If history is whitness it will take a while before we hear anything back.

TV: Samsung UN46D8000
Server: Intel Core i3 540, 4G RAM, Matrox G450, 70GB EXT3 encrypted software RAID1 system drive, 1TB XFS tv recording drive, 2TB EXT3 encrypted data drive mirror across 2 machines, 2TB EXT3 encrypted media drive mirror across 2 machines, CentOS 6 64 bit, Experimenting with DNLA servers
1Gb wired network
Disconnected after G day[HD 100 Media Extender, Placeshifter 7.x, SageTV 7.x, HDHomeRun]
Old 06-18-2011, 05:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
I personally see them wanting the PVR backend and nothing more. The store going offline instantly like that I don't see as a good sign....
The store going away is pretty bad. I really hope all my stuff holds up until we hear what is next.
Twitter: ohpleaseno
Old 06-18-2011, 05:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I personally see them wanting the PVR backend and nothing more. The store going offline instantly like that I don't see as a good sign....
It's a terrible sign.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:30 PM
Sage Icon

Google will be getting a product that works, as opposed to the current GoogleTV product, but I don't expect the SageTV product to be carried forward. I wonder when we will be losing the program guide information
TV Storage: 11 TB (4x1.5TB for recording, 5TB for archive)
Clients: 3
SageTV Extenders:5
Old 06-18-2011, 05:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

It's all sinking in to me the problems I'll have when all of this stuff stops working.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:35 PM
Sage Expert

As long as there is no remote kill switch (ala Android rogue apps) that can kill Sage functionality I'm OK for now.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:37 PM
Sage Expert

I'm hoping this is just some hacker who broke in the SageTV webserver and is screwing around with us. There does seem to be a lot of that going around lately.

Can anyone name a company that Google has bought that they didn't simply integrate all of it's assets into their own leaving nothing of the original? (think of the Borg)

As bad as this seems it could be worse. Think if Microsoft or AOL had bought it...
Old 06-18-2011, 05:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

My stomach sort of churned when I saw the tweet about this. Didn't know the store had gone down too. Damn glad I just got my HD300 last week!

Congratulations to the SageTV team, you deserve all the success you find. I hope there is a silver lining for all of us die-hard fans as well.
Server: Antec SLK3800B, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, Biostar TForce 550, GeForce 7300LE, 1GB DDR2 800, 2 x HVR-1600, PVR-150MCE, 1.4TB HD Space, XP Pro, Java6, Latest SageTV Version
Old 06-18-2011, 05:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by peternm22 View Post
I'm hoping this is just some hacker who broke in the SageTV webserver and is screwing around with us. There does seem to be a lot of that going around lately.

Can anyone name a company that Google has bought that they didn't simply integrate all of it's assets into their own leaving nothing of the original?

As bad as this seems it could be worse. Think if Microsoft or AOL had bought it...
Google typically just keep the form of the original and adds little bits. I can't imagine a product like Sage that has a hardware aspect to it will be able to maintain that record though. The EPG alone is going to have to be maintained by someone and turning off that switch will be the end for me.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:40 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidget View Post
Google will be getting a product that works, as opposed to the current GoogleTV product, but I don't expect the SageTV product to be carried forward. I wonder when we will be losing the program guide information
Not provided by SageTV anyway, but even if it cuts off, the rest of the world manage with XMLTV feeds...
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 06-18-2011, 05:43 PM
Sage Expert

For EPG data, we can always go to http://www.schedulesdirect.org/

You have to pay for it, but with the SageTV plugin architecture it should be possible to use. It's more reliable that web scraping (I used something similar before SageTV had Canadian EPG support)
Old 06-18-2011, 05:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
The store going offline is probably a temporary thing while they "transfer assets". While I predict we won't have as responsive support, I could be wrong. Google doesn't do things in the traditional business sense.

While one of the posters is concerned about DRM, I would welcome it IF it is a choice. Specifically, I am using a Ceton that can record all of my cable channels. With SageDCT, I am limited to only those that are copy freely, so I must use my HD PVR for the premium channels. If I could record those with the cable card and watch them back on the extenders, I would pay a premium for the capability. That said, I don't want anything else touched. I like having Comskip on all of the nonpremium channels (where is is needed). I see this as an opportunity to take SageTV to the next level. Since I have started using it, it has evolved from a hobby to the way everyone in my house watches TV.

Wayne
i5-6400, MSI B150M Micro ATX MB, 16GB DDR3 1600, 2 - WD Green 2TB SATA Drives, Lite-On SATA 4X Blu-ray Reader, Corsair 400W 80+ Power Supply, Silverstone Sugo SG02-BF MicroATX Case, Windows 10 (64), HDHR Dual X2, Quatro and Prime, 5 x HD300 + 2 x HD100
Old 06-18-2011, 05:46 PM
SageTVaholic

I remember when HiPix went out out business; TitanTV left their account open indefinitely. Maybe Zap2it/Tribune may leave things as-is for current customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgillyon View Post
Not provided by SageTV anyway, but even if it cuts off, the rest of the world manage with XMLTV feeds...

***RIP SageTV***
Old 06-18-2011, 05:46 PM
Sage Expert

The openness of the Android platform gives me a little bit of hope. But the fact that Google offers virtually no tech support for end users beyond FAQ's is very distressing.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

This will either be epically good or epically BAD.

And right now, I am leaning BAD.

I loves me some Google and use many of theirs services and have an Android phone but the reality is that HTPC and centralized media management is a niche category and I just can't see this ending well if the SageTV team is still not in major control of the Sage product...

Time will tell but I agree that the first bad sign is that the site has been shut down with that message like it was. VERY bad.

Prove us Wrong SagleTV....
Old 06-18-2011, 05:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

Stunning news. I cant blame the owners, i hope they made out well. But I have to feel like we just got abandoned... store down, very limited statement. Hope time proves me wrong.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

I haven't been using the guide data anyways. But I have been waiting for the 7.1 release so on to WMC. To bad I paid for the new release.

By By .... so long!
Old 06-18-2011, 05:57 PM
Sage Expert

Let's hope it's full speed ahead with a seamless continuation of a great PVR software, and not full speed ahead like a train wreck into the center of a blackhole...like what happened to Meedio when Yahoo acquired it.

This is either going to be very good or very bad for us SageTV users. I really hope I'm wrong, but my money is on the latter. I guess we'd all be smart to start looking at alternatives until more specific details about Google's plans for SageTV are released.

On a side note, is it possible Narflex's account was hacked by those Lulz hackers and they're doing all this and messing with us just for 'entertainment'?

Server Hardware: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R, Intel Q9550 CPU 2.83GHz, 11GB RAM, 1xHDHR, 1xHVR1600, 1xHVR2250
29TB Server Storage: 1TB SSD (OS), 1TB (data), 2x6TB+2x10TB (22TB FlexRaid storage pool), 2x2TB (recordings), 1x750GB (VMs).
Server Software: Win10 Pro x64 OS, SageTV 64bit v9.2.0.441, Java 1.8 u241, PlayOn, Comskip (Donator) v0.82.003, WampServer v2.5.
Clients: 3xHD300s, 2xHD100, 2xPlaceshifters
Old 06-18-2011, 05:57 PM
Sage Icon

I fear this is bad for consumers...

I feel like I just lost a beloved parent :-(

I have dearly loved SageTV, in its current form -- free from dedicated hardware, draconian rules, opressive DRM, "monthly service fees",etc.

I deeply fear that SageTV is now going to be absorbed by GoogleTV and that Sage will no longer exist. I fear that gone are the days of innovation and quick bug fixes and responses from the engineers. I fear gone are the ability to use my OWN hardware with SageTV. I hope it is not a matter of time before we're told that SageTV, in its current form, has been discontinued and will only be supported on certain TV sets or set-top boxes and that DRM will have returned with a vengence.

I hope I am wrong.....

That being said, even though I am sad that SageTV will likely be gone (as we know it), I am glad that the folks that started and work for Sage will likely be reaping the financial rewards that come with being purchased by someone who wants the technology.

alas, now I fear there will NEVER be an ipad version of Placeshifter :-( Over my dead body will I ever use an Andriod tablet.....

Last edited by srothwell; 06-18-2011 at 06:01 PM.

Tags
acquisition, beer, google, googletv