SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

Exclamation A Tale of Two IPs...

So just a cautionary story for anyone that runs into this little gem of an oddity...

A few days ago, I started having my HD300 just lock up or power off at least once every hour without fail. The time interval always fluctuated a bit but not much.

I tried everything. I downgraded from the beta firmware to the original, nothing. Upgraded again, same. I put the server and the HD300 on the same segment of my network, still nothing. Eventually, I tried setting the IP to fixed and then buggered off out of the house on errands and left it to play a queue of several hours of video.

At this point I was confused as when I got home it was still playing fine.

Later that evening, I was packing up for the cottage and went to grab my netbook... Well... Opened the lid and there staring at me is the Windows message about an IP conflict. That whole time my stupid netbook had woke up and the DHCP server in my router borked the assignments.

I have since left the HD300 in fixed IP mode as there is no need for me to change it but this is certainly one more thing to add to the troubleshooting list if your HD300 is in DHCP mode and is being "bizarre". Basically shut everything off except the server and the HD300 and see if it smartens up.

Oh and for the record, the PC clients in the house were perfectly fine all this time so it was for sure an IP issue between the netbook and the HD300.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:50 AM
Sage Icon

If you were using any static IP addresses, this is a good reason to switch to DHCP reserved IP addresses instead. If you weren't using static IP addresses, and were letting the router's DHCP server handle all of the IP addresses, then it sounds like it's time to get a new router...
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 06-07-2011, 11:43 AM
Sage Advanced User

That is the the thing. The ONLY device that had a fixed IP before this was the server and its IP is not in the DHCP range.

I believe the issue was that the netbook had an IP reserved and then the router reassigned it for whatever reason and when it came out of sleep/hibernate, it demanded its IP back.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

Sage seems to have no end of problems with multiple IP situations.

I tried running my home server as both my router (via Nat32) and as my Sage server and I could never get Sage stable in that multi homed config. I tried hard coding the server IP in the properties file etc but no go.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:55 PM
Sage Icon

Let the DHCP server do it's job, don't try to outsmart it...
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls