SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 05-25-2004, 03:36 PM

Where can I get a Hauppauge Rosyln card and can it embed CC?

Well the title pretty much says it all. I've got a PVR250(type 15) and a M150(type 16). I'm considering adding another tuner. Since I already have a USB-UIRT, I'm not worried about remotes. So I'd like to save some money on the new card. I'd get another M150 but I'm worried it might conflict with the current M150. I see Frey sells the Rosyln cards as bundled pairs with SageTV, so I'm sure the Rosyln drivers will work with multiple cards.

Besides finding where to buy a Rosyln, the only things I'd like to know are:
1) Will it cause any issues with my PVR250(type15)? I don't expect any since the Rosyln is just Hauppauge's version of the blackbird design and my M150(Blackbird design) works fine with my PVR250. But better safe than sorry. Any firsthand experience?
2) Can I turn on CC embedding for the Rosyln cards like you can for the PVR250? If so how?

PS:Anyone know how to setup a Avermedia M150 to embed CC like the PVR250s?

Any help would be great, thanks.

/justme
Old 05-25-2004, 04:12 PM
SageTVaholic

I normally see them on ebay but I could not find any today
also frey is selling them for I yjink 90 dollars with sagrecorder included
but mixing an old pvr 250 and a new blackbird may cause problems
ever considered the ATI e home wonder
it can be bought with or without radio

I know you can get them cheaper but here is a picture from phoenix tech
they also had it like 10 dollars cheaper a week ago or so

http://secure.cartsvr.net/catalogs/c...showprevnext=1

here you are
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...116-309&depa=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...116-308&depa=1

second one has radio but 73 dollars with it and 64 without and free shipping
Old 05-25-2004, 04:43 PM

Thanks for the links, I'll check those out.

Quote:
ever considered the ATI e home wonder
Yes I did consider getting an eHome card, I made another post about that in an eHome thread. I just wanted to make sure that I could adjust all the SageTV recording qualities and capture settings(brightness, etc) like with my PVR250. I also really want to be able to embed CC into the mpeg2 stream, just like my PVR250 can. It's just so hard to find info for CC on the M150 or eHome cards. If I find this CC info I'm going to collect and post it for others.
Quote:
also frey is selling them for I yjink 90 dollars with sagrecorder included
I thought about that but I don't need/want SageRecorder. I use the freeware WinTVCap from SHS's site for simple capture jobs. So I'm hesitant to pay more for software I won't use, just to get the card.
Quote:
but mixing an old pvr 250 and a new blackbird may cause problems
I'm not too worried about this since my AverMedia M150 is a "Blackbird" design and all blackbirds use type 16 chips. So If I haven't had any issues with my PVR250(type15) and my M150(type16) yet, I can't really see another blackbird style card causing an issue. But I'd love to hear anyone's firsthand experience with mixing these cards.

Thanks

/justme

Last edited by justme; 05-25-2004 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-25-2004, 04:53 PM
SageTVaholic

well 90 is a good price for one
so sagerecorder is just an add in benefit
can you not do CC with the older model pvr 250?
Old 05-25-2004, 05:17 PM

Quote:
well 90 is a good price for one
so sagerecorder is just an add in benefit
Valid point. I guess I'm just a cheapskate. EDIT:Could you PM me a link for that? I can't seem to find that bundle anywhere at the Sage store.
Quote:
can you not do CC with the older model pvr 250?
I can do CC with it fine. I use the reg setting on this forum with custom recording profile and mpg2srt. I just want to make sure any new tuners I add can do CC as well. For instance I haven't found out how to do CC with my AverMedia M150, but there should be a way. I just want to make sure the next tuner I buy can embed CC and that there is info on how to do so, like the PVR250.

Last edited by justme; 05-25-2004 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-25-2004, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by justme
I can't seem to find that bundle anywhere at the Sage store.
I don't see them listed there either, but then I just ran across this other post that says:
Quote:
Originally posted by dkardatzke
We just received our shipment of Hauppauge Roslyn cards for the new "Blackbird" bundles today and will be offering the card by itself beginning next week. The cost per card will be $90 and will include a copy of SageTV Recorder.
- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:07 PM

Maybe I'll just buy one of the bundles with 2 Roslyn cards and SageTV. I could then just sell the SageTV license, since I don't need it.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:44 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally posted by justme
Maybe I'll just buy one of the bundles with 2 Roslyn cards and SageTV. I could then just sell the SageTV license, since I don't need it.
No you can't sell the license, see the Narflex post in the SageTV - 50% Off .
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:58 PM
SageTVaholic

justme I would email them give your credit info and just say you want that deal

they were really cool when I got my notebook only a few weeks after buying sageTV they let me still have the client for the discount price as if you bought it at the same time as the server version

by the way this is the coupon code CLT25
who know if it is good still?
Old 05-25-2004, 10:24 PM

Thanks kny3twalker,

I'll contact them. Though I do have to say the deal about not being able to sell my extra SageTV license REALLY bothers me off. I know I was promoted to Mod but I personally can't support such a policy. Way too much power being given to all content creators.

Oh well, maybe I'll contact Frey after I settle down and see what happens. I really didn't(and still don't) want any kind of special deal that isn't currently available to all. I personally feel if you buy something it's yours. I now refuse to buy from ABS computers due to a similiar issue. Frey's loss they could've had another customer in my cousin and his family, but the license provision KILLs that. He's even more consumer rights than I am.

Last edited by justme; 05-25-2004 at 11:42 PM.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:31 PM
Sage Icon

justme, you are not buying a license. You are buying the right to use the product. This is a common misconception by a lot of people.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:39 PM

Quote:
This is a common misconception by a lot of people.
The fact that it's common goes to show the growing disconnect between consumers and companies. Things are definitly headed in the wrong direction in this country. Clicking on a button for a EULA can bind you to ridiculous terms that only a lawyer would know about. I'm not saying Frey does anything like that with their license still... I'm going to have to go over this very carefully and see if I can ethically continue this relationship, both forum and software user. However, I'm going to wait til I calm down to decide.

Last edited by justme; 05-25-2004 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:42 PM
Sage Aficionado

What is the roslyn card? Is this just another name for the version 16 PVR-250? I've seen references to the roslyn several times but haven't figured out what it is. Also, what is the blackbird?

Last edited by zz5; 05-25-2004 at 10:44 PM.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Is this just another name for the version 16 PVR-250?
Simple answer, yes it's technically equivalent to a PVR250.

Longer answer, it uses a newer reference design spec from the chip supplier Conexant(supplies key chip for HW encoding) codenamed "blackbird". Blackbird is the name used by Conexant(and many users) for this new design. Roslyn is just Hauppauge's in house name for their probuction of the blackbird spec cards. For all purposes in SageTV it should be the same.

Oh, all blackbird style cards use the type 16 chipset.

Last edited by justme; 05-25-2004 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:03 PM
SageTVaholic

you can sell it if you want what are they to do about it
if they do something to your buyers computer then thats a different story

but who ever buys the software will just have to use the original buyers name when registering the product

it is not a big deal you never see it again
so what?

I also think it is bull though
I do not think it is right for them to say that
I would be pretty angry if the next car that I buy,
I cannot sell it

anyways they can do what they want but it still does not mean is not possible

Last edited by kny3twalker; 05-25-2004 at 11:20 PM.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:06 PM
SageTVaholic

anyways here's the post
http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...&threadid=5334

Quote:
We just received our shipment of Hauppauge Roslyn cards for the new "Blackbird" bundles today and will be offering the card by itself beginning next week. The cost per card will be $90 and will include a copy of SageTV Recorder.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:09 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks for the answer.

So you actually have a 15 working with a 16 without any problems??

From what I understand, almost no one has a Hauppauge 250 version 15 and 16 working together properly. After much testing (I have pages and pages of notes), I finally conquered this problem of getting the two chipsets working together, but only by using old drivers, among other things. I can get it working on all my motherboards (Sis735, VIA KT600, and nforce2 ultra). I've checked and it turns out that, as far as I know, the few people that have them working together are using old drivers also. What drivers are you using for your Hauppauge 250 now? I really would like to find a way to get it to work by using the new drivers so I could get 350 output (which can't be done with old drivers).
Old 05-25-2004, 11:18 PM

Quote:
So you actually have a 15 working with a 16 without any problems??
To my knowledge to issue with mixing only occurs with cards that use the same driver family. Meaning they use the same registry settings and that makes them wrong for one card.

I have a HauppaugePVR250(type 15) and an Avermedia M150(type 16). Since they are from different manufacturers they use different drivers and hence different places in the windows Registry to store their config info. So I have no problems.

However if you read my first post you'll see I am slightly concerned about adding a Roslyn card. If Hauppauge was smart they used a different location in the registry to store the cards config details. I think this is likely since the "blackbird" Rosylyn hardware design is different from the original PVR250's design. So they shouldn't share any reg settings. Also most manufacturers only do modest changes(changing Reg key names to reflect their comany name) to the reference drivers they get from the chip supplier. But no one has given firsthand experience with mixing a new Roslyn with a type 15 PVR250 yet, to my knowledge.

Oh and my Hauppage PVR250 drivers are 1.7 something. They are one of the last of the 1.7 series. Once I had a stable PVR250 with quality/features I was after I stopped updating. I may like to have the newest version of software but I've learned with drivers... if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Last edited by justme; 05-25-2004 at 11:32 PM.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:41 PM

kny3twalker wrote:
Quote:
but who ever buys the software will just have to use the original buyers name when registering the product
I can't remember if SageTV uses the name to help validate the key or just for registration purposes. However in my case it would not really make a difference since the key would never touch my system. I was just planning on burning a copy of SageTV2 to a CD and giving the key to the new owner.

Anyway, thanks for the info. I hope I can work this out(in my own value system) in such a manner that will allow to continue the great time I've had here.

Last edited by justme; 05-25-2004 at 11:46 PM.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:02 AM
Sage Aficionado

Does anyone know how to identify whether the card is a Roslyn? I do have the numbers written down for my 3 PVR-250's which are all version 16's. I have no idea whether they're Roslyns. I bought the last 2 about 3 months ago. I do have them installed and working fine with my 350 (but with the previously mentioned difficulty in getting them set up).