SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations > Diamond
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Diamond This forums is for discussing the user-created Diamond plugin for SageTV.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm4284 View Post
lol no just my opinion I tend to go overboard
You do realize raid 6 pretty much is the same thing and still cheaper just saying....
Old 05-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Sage User

Aside from complexity, these are the primary challenges with traditional RAID:
1.Lock-in of RAID levels. To change RAID levels, most storage arrays require the data to be moved off of it, reconfigured, and then moved back on. If you want to move to RAID 6 from RAID 5 for protection against two drive failures, it's a reinitialize and start over.
2.Lack of expandability. Once drives are configured into a RAID pool, that is it. If you want to add more storage capacity, the solution is to create a new RAID pool, leaving you with another chunk of storage to manage - or you can just reinitialize and start over.
3.Debilitated state after a drive failure. When a drive fails, most RAID implementations enter a state where data loss will occur if another drive falters before the user replaces the failed drive. Also, performance is hampered when in this debilitated state.

Moving Beyond RAID
Drobo's BeyondRAID technology solves these fundamental issues with traditional RAID while delivering much more. Built on an advanced virtualization platform, BeyondRAID chooses the correct protection algorithm based on data availability needs at any given moment.Since the technology works at the block level, it can write blocks of data that alternate between data protection approaches.

If you need to add storage capacity to a Drobo, simply insert additional disk drives or replace the smallest disks with larger ones - no need to change RAID levels, purchase a new storage array or go through the complex administration of pooling RAID groups. The BeyondRAID feature even allows IT managers to switch from single to dual disk redundancy with a single click, thereby ensuring enterprise-level dual parity data protection if required. If a drive happens to fail, Drobo will automatically re-layout the data to return to a protected state without any user interaction.

For me this was worth the price, Simple,Expanable and drive failure safe
SAGE v7 Beta, Win 7 Ult64, Intel C 2 Q9550S, Evga 460 1gb, 8gb ram, 1tb WD blk sys hd, 10tb Drobo S usb3 Storage, Blu ray drive. hd200, hd300, HD-PVR, SMM and Gemstone. 60" ex700 Sony TV SONY 7.1 Home Theater AVR STR-DH810, Wired cat 6 Gigabyte Net. Hp ProCurve 1410-8g Switch
Old 05-03-2011, 04:20 AM
SageTVaholic

Expendable only y how many bays you have. Not trying to knock it I am sure it works but most of that above is nothing more than a sales pitch. Raid drives can be added and removed as well it takes a while but can be done. Drobo is basically like whs drive extender aka raid for people that are scared of raid.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:56 PM
Sage User

Point taken,By the way let me take this chance to thank you for all your Great Work with Diamond and Smm!
SAGE v7 Beta, Win 7 Ult64, Intel C 2 Q9550S, Evga 460 1gb, 8gb ram, 1tb WD blk sys hd, 10tb Drobo S usb3 Storage, Blu ray drive. hd200, hd300, HD-PVR, SMM and Gemstone. 60" ex700 Sony TV SONY 7.1 Home Theater AVR STR-DH810, Wired cat 6 Gigabyte Net. Hp ProCurve 1410-8g Switch
Old 05-23-2011, 08:08 PM
Sage User

Plucky, I was looking on Newegg and see a lot of 8bay sans digital enclosures with a few different esata card options. Which do you favor? It looks like they just came out with a new version with a "+" in the model number.

Also which drives do you use WD green, black, or other?
Old 05-24-2011, 09:41 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig View Post
Plucky, I was looking on Newegg and see a lot of 8bay sans digital enclosures with a few different esata card options. Which do you favor? It looks like they just came out with a new version with a "+" in the model number.

Also which drives do you use WD green, black, or other?
I answered this in PM but figured I would answer here as well.
SansDigital

That is the one I use and have also used the 4 bays with luck. I don't use green drives in Raid arrays so definatly a 7200rpm non green drive. Blacks are a good choice if you want, but you can also get others a bit cheaper.

That being said I am scaling back my stored collection. We just don't use it much outside of my daughters movies. I buy something, rip it we watch it and that is usually that. Especially with netflix now built into my new tv we find our selves watching movies on there more and more. Don't know why but that is where we have gone.