SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-24-2004, 10:15 AM
Sage Expert

Unhappy Full Storage Drives causing Sage problems

Well after finally deleting all properties and wiz.bin files in Sage, I did all fresh install on both Sage TV and client and now all seems to be fine on playback.
NOW last night my 3 drives ran out of space and when I was checking recordings this morning, I found that shows were missing most of the recordings. This is VERY similar to what happened a couple of months with the Beta, I assumed at that time it was USB-UIRT related, BUT this time it is the exact same thing, the drives were full and so Sage screwed up the recordings.
What is set wrong here? All my drives have recyle bin turned off and Sage has 100% space on all drives.
Normally I delete shows manually but this time they filled during the weekend and I didn't get to check until this morning.
Patrick
Old 05-24-2004, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Just curious -- what types of recordings were they? Were they manual recordings, or favorites set to Manaul Delete?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:59 AM
Sage Expert

Favorites set to auto delete.
I have submitted a support request on this problem.
Real strange that Sage runs into this problem when it should be auto deleting shows it has previously recorded.
One thought is, if shows have not been watched, will it still delete them? i.e. a show recorded last week that has not been yet watched, will it get deleted to clear space on the drive? What I did notice was some watched shows are still on the drive and in Sage, most shows are set to auto delete, very few are set to manual delete.
Patrick
Old 05-24-2004, 11:31 AM
Sage Aficionado

I also would really like to know the deletion hierarchy of Sage. I've never seen anything definitive on this. I wish they would put that in the manual. I would like to know all the details. Maybe deletion hierarchy is something that can be adjusted with Studio.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by zz5
I also would really like to know the deletion hierarchy of Sage. I've never seen anything definitive on this.
This FAQ entry has some info on file deletion, but I wouldn't call it 'definitive' since I have a few questions about it as well.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:09 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks, Opus4, I've seen your FAQ entry before and that's the best information I know of, but I'm hoping that watched manual recordings will never be erased before favorites or intelligent recordings. From your list, it looks like they would be. Do you really think that's the way it's done? That would be a bad way to do it. You could be watching your favorite show, one that you were planning to put on DVD, and as soon as you got done watching it, it could suddenly become fair game for deletion to make way for some intelligent recording you don't care about. Last night, I had some stuff recording, and I knew space was going to run out. It just quit recording when space ran out. I just got the beginning of the show. I only had manual records, but some were watched, and none got deleted. In my case, that's what I wanted to happen. But since crowdx42 has favorites that didn't delete, maybe I'm experiencing the same problem.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by zz5
...I'm hoping that watched manual recordings will never be erased before favorites or intelligent recordings. From your list, it looks like they would be. Do you really think that's the way it's done?
Actually, I don't know that manual recordings are _ever_ automatically deleted; they may not be, since "Manual Delete" favorites are also not supposed to be deleted. As you can tell, I wasn't 100% certain of everything regarding file deletions & noted that in the FAQ... hoping that someone might point me to 'official' info. I thought I had seen such comments in the past, but I wasn't able to find them in a search. Maybe I'll go edit that info to make it more clear that it has some speculation in it. In the meantime, maybe I'll ask Frey too.

- Andy

Edit: Note that this doesn't answer Crowdx42's original question, in case someone has comments on that.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:09 PM
SageTVaholic

I've never seen a manual recording get deleted.

FWIW, if there's something you don't want deleted, just select Move To Library from the detailed info page. Things in the library will never be automatically deleted.

For those of you with the full HDD problem, do you have any of your favorites set to Manual Delete? I've never had a problem with Sage deleting stuff when it needed room, but I've also never used Manual Delete, or any of the other special delete logic.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:20 PM
Sage Expert

I think "from memory" I had some shows with manual deletes.
Not 100% sure though.
Just checked all my favorites and they are all at their defaults. I also have each set with 3 mins padding at start and end. Otherwise that is the only recordings I have set, no manual recordings or timed based recordings.
Patrick

Last edited by Crowdx42; 05-24-2004 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by zz5
... I'm hoping that watched manual recordings will never be erased before favorites or intelligent recordings.
OK... I'm told that Manual Recordings are NEVER allowed to be automatically deleted. Between that and some other info I found (this is all in old posts, but it gets hard to find it all from way back when), I updated the FAQ entry containing the auto-deletion order.

- Andy