SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-21-2004, 10:41 AM
Sage User

Prevent screen saver?

I use Creative's VideoBlaster DVR. When watching TV with the DVR's bundled software from Creative, the screen saver never comes on when I am in full screen mode. However, Sage TV does not do this; if the screen saver is enabled it still turns on at the set duration when Sage TV is fullscreen. Likewise, if I have the power management set to sleep the monitor after a set period of inactivity the monitor will go blank at the set time when Sage TV is fullscreen.

So, can I setup Sage TV not to do this or do I have to disable screen savers and pwer management features in order to use Sage TV without interruption?
Old 05-21-2004, 11:06 AM
SageTVaholic

you can change a property line in the property file to stop this
you will have to close not sleep sage though to do this
then open the property file and change
disable screensaver and pm= from false to true
Old 05-21-2004, 01:15 PM
Sage User

Nuts.

I have just tested that. Turned off SageTV (not sleep, closed). Edited the properties file, found that setting, changed it to true, saved it. Turned windows screensaver back on, set for 30 mins. Turned on SageTV. Watched an hour-long show at fullscreen. At 30 minutes the screensaver came on.

Either I did not do something correctly, or that setting is not working.

This is the only thing not working perfectly for me at this moment, but for some reason it is coming across as a glaring problem. The workaround (turning off the screensaver) is obvious, but it's just irritating. Blah blah blah whine whine whine.

So, please, any other thoughts? Something I missed? Reboot maybe?

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2004, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Are you getting different results than what was said in this thread: Please disable the windows screen saver while watching?

What happens if SageTV is not full screen -- just resized larger?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:57 PM
Sage User

I will do some more testing, fullscreen and windowed, and get back to you. I've read thru that other thread and I think this may be related but different.
Old 05-21-2004, 02:22 PM
Sage User

OK, I've found the following...

In my first test, I had made my changes to the properties and started SageTV. Then, with SageTV sleeping, I had edited the Screensaver timer. Then I watched a show and the screen saver came on at the set time.

I've since rebooted.

Once everything was up and running including SageTV in sleep, the screensaver settings had changed - dropped down to 1 minute (I had it set to 5). I watched in window mode for 8 minutes and the screen saver stayed off. I went to full screen and watched and again it stayed off. I set SageTV to sleep and modified the screensaver time back to 5 minutes. I started watching a show and the screensaver came on in 5 minutes.

I rebooted.

SageTV starts asleep with windows. Screensaver is back at 1 minute again. I turn off SageTV and check screensaver - it's back to 5 minutes. Turn SageTV back on, screensaver is back down to 1 min again.

So, I think I have this figured out. Basically, don't change screensaver settings at all while SageTV is running, whether asleep or on. With that properties file setting at true, it works as expected.

Sort of. With SageTV asleep, the screensaver does not turn on at 5 mins as it is set to.

Improvement. Not perfect, but better.
Old 05-21-2004, 02:40 PM
Administrator

If you haven't touched the Windows screen saver settings after starting SageTV, it should work ok -- the only thing I had a problem with the last time I played with it was the monitor power management on the server.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.