SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 05-19-2004, 02:08 PM
Sage User

Pvr 350 Out Lockups

I was wondering if the people having PVR 350 problems on Intel and VIA with UI enabled got fixed in the final release? I noticed that the PVR 350 was still being sold as a bundle on the sage site with no chipset warning (that I saw). It is hard to tell because I didn't see any release notes like with all the Beta and RC releases.
Old 05-19-2004, 02:32 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
No, Intel is being worked on between Frey and Intel. Apparently they are looking at the chipset drivers. VIA is a mixed bag from what I have read. The two guaranteed chipsets you will have success with right now are Nforce2 and ATI. Also the Intel 440BX users are reporting success.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:23 AM
Sage User

I am glad to hear that Frey is working with the vendors to resolve this but they really need to warn people about chipset problems on the main page. Otherwise this is just a trap for Intel and VIA users. I went through hell with my PVR until I got my Athlon board. When you bundle your software with a card people beleive it will work as long as they meet the min. hardware specs. This is not true with sagetv.
Old 05-20-2004, 02:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

Up until I read this thread, I was under the impression that the 350 OSD lockup problems was a Hauppauge Driver issue. So has this definately changed to an Intel Chipset problem?

I have a 350 collecting dust waiting for fix. Thanks.
HTPC(self built dedicated )/SageTV 7.1.8 Beta /SG01 Silverstone Case/ Intel Dual Core Q6600/ Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H mATX MOBO 2GB RAM /WD 300GB SATA Drive/HD-PVR, Sage HD-300, HDHomerun, Nvidia 8600GTS Graphics Card/Windows 7 SP1/USB-UIRT-controlling one SA4250HD STB's/Harmony 700 Remote.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:04 PM
Sage User

That is what I though to until I replaced my intel chipset with athlon. All my lock up issues went away completly!!! There are some great deals for just the motherboard and processor. You could probably get the board and processor for about $150.

I feel your pain jphhughes, Frey has been very unclear about causes of the lockup problems.

Last edited by Dave; 05-20-2004 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-20-2004, 04:14 PM

I have the same lock up problems (Dell Dimension 4600 with Intel 865 chipset, PVR350).

I really like 2.0 over 1.4 though. Even though I can't use OSD with 2.0 yet (because of the lock-ups), I find 2.0 easier to restart (no reboot required) and in general much more responsive, easier to use, nicer looking, etc.

I do hope the Intel chipset issue is fixed, the WAF would go way up once OSD is working. : )

- Mark
Old 05-21-2004, 10:59 AM
Sage User

Let's hope they figure this one out. It has been a problem since the first 2.0 beta release. This seems to be the last thorn in Frey's project. I wish them the best of luck but I still stongly recommend Athlon for PVR's. Just seems to work!!!!
Old 05-21-2004, 11:45 AM
Sage Advanced User

Anyone know what chipset the ASUS P4PE uses? I am assuming, since it is an Intel P4 board, that it is an Intel Chipset.

Guess a GOOGLE is in order.

M2S

UPDATE: Yep. INTEL Sux to be me.

Last edited by Myth2Sage; 05-21-2004 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:49 AM
Sage Advanced User

p4pe is an intel 865P i think
nice chipset, unless you've got a 350 . . .
Old 05-21-2004, 11:51 AM
Sage Advanced User

The only ATHLON board I have is a 750mhz. Using a PVR250 and a PVR350, and 1 GIG of RAM, would this be enough horsepower to power a Sage Server that would also be hooked up to watch TV from it??

M2S
Old 05-21-2004, 12:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

i think with the ram and the 350 set to hardware out you'll be ok
just tweak up your windows xp settings and remove all unnecessary background bulls**t tasks.
software decode might be a problem though

I'm running sage server with only a 350 with a 440BX motherboard (66mhz bus and ATA channels) and a 1.2ghz celeron--my guess is that a 750mhz athlon is about as good as my 1.2 celeron.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by maximumpig
i think with the ram and the 350 set to hardware out you'll be ok
just tweak up your windows xp settings and remove all unnecessary background bulls**t tasks.
software decode might be a problem though

I'm running sage server with only a 350 with a 440BX motherboard (66mhz bus and ATA channels) and a 1.2ghz celeron--my guess is that a 750mhz athlon is about as good as my 1.2 celeron.
Thanx I guess I'll just give it a go and see what happens.

Is there ANY intel chipsets that work? I have checked all the computers in my house. I have 6 Intel types of 1.4ghz or more. And only ONE frickin AMD system.

Which actually surprised the hell outta me, cuz I have always been a fan of AMDs....

M2S
Old 05-21-2004, 12:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by Myth2Sage

Is there ANY intel chipsets that work? I have checked all the computers in my house. I have 6 Intel types of 1.4ghz or more. And only ONE frickin AMD system.

M2S
I've been watching the intel/350 threads and AFAIK:

i820, i845, i850, i865, and i875 are no go w/the 350 and OSD.

i440BX OK

i810 and i815 unknown

I am just finishing an i815 box so my fingers are crossed....

Somebody jump in here if i'm wrong.

EDIT: finished my i815 box and at least under light use last night I had no 350 lockups.

Since others may care, I'll try to keep updating this post.

Last edited by Scriber; 05-22-2004 at 09:33 AM.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:39 PM
Sage User

I think it is time for a Frey rep to jump in on this thread..

Frey, what chipsets work and what doesn't. please let us know!!!! Looks like a lot of people wondering!!!!!!!
Old 05-21-2004, 12:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave

Frey, what chipsets work and what doesn't. please let us know!!!! Looks like a lot of people wondering!!!!!!!
So far, I am hosed.

3 845 and 3 850 chipsets.

M2S
Old 05-21-2004, 01:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

my i875 didn't work either

the 440BX is an intel chipset and it works
Old 05-21-2004, 01:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by maximumpig
my i875 didn't work either

the 440BX is an intel chipset and it works
Do you know off the top of your head, what brands/manufacturers use that Chipset??

Or do I need another dose of GOOGLE?

M2S
Old 05-21-2004, 09:39 PM
SageTVaholic

I think someone got an 850 to work but not sure

I would use the slow athlon
why do you want to use a faster one
that would probably trounce a TiVo
you got use it as client and it would work awesome no software decoding needed useless you are going to hook this to a highdef TV then the 350 is useless anyways, it might as well be a 250
Old 05-22-2004, 09:44 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via AIM to krutaw
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave

I'm past wondering, I've gotten to the "getting upset" stage. The simple fact is that they touted tvout w/ ui as a feature of V2.0. It doesn't work. Simple as that.

The simple fact is that they could have avoided having alot of us hunting in the dark by just ponying up a little bit of customer service skills and sending any of us that reported the problem a mass email stating what they're doing and that we haven't been forgotten. I mean, how much could a single piece of email really cost them?

I've been a SAGETV supporter for quite some time, but I gotta say I don't like being ignored and am now looking for other alternatives because of this lack of support.

Andy Kruta A+, CNA, MCSA, Network+, RHCE

"It's kinda fun to do the impossible"
- Walt Disney
Old 05-22-2004, 10:44 AM
Sage Icon

While I totaly agree with krutaw about Frey addressing this problem. I don't think there is much chance of Frey making any public announcements. Actually, I don't think Frey should have made an 2.0 official release with this problem. Problem with an official release is that there are some (like me) 1.4 SageTV users that are unable to run SageTV 2.0. This problem is a lot like the mixing of 350's with type 16 250's. If you view just the Sage store pages you would never know that there is any problem with that at all. That problem was mentioned as early as last summer. I don't think Frey even took it seriously until early this year. However, Frey has never make a public statement about it. It is only by reading forums like this that anyone would know about it before hand. I no longer have any high expections of Frey fixing many of the problems I have reported. I have submitted about 4 or 5 problem reports. A couple I resolved myself before Frey even got back to me. One they verified that it was a problem but could not be fixed in 1.4 but would be fixed in 2.0 (wish I could run 2.0 to check). The others are pending action by Hauppauge or in an unknown state.

Now the other side, I think Frey could have valid reasons for not responding. I have seen a very few companies admit problems with their products. Frey's lawyers have problably told them that silence is preferred over admitting anything. If they did make a public statement about problems it could be used against them in ads by their competition.

I think if you read the license agreement you will see that it says Frey is basically not responsible for anything, including support. The product is licensed on as-is type basis. You have a chance to try it before purchase, if you like then purchase otherwise shop for another product that you prefer.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.