SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-18-2004, 07:28 AM
Sage Advanced User

Client error playing DVD

Using Sage TV Client I was trying to play a DVD that is ripped to my Hard Drive. I get this error:
"There was a MPEG-2 Video Error in playback.
Details:
Failed connecting video stream to the Overlay Mixer
ErrCode=0x80040217"

Then when I click OK I get this error:
"There was a DirectShow Error in playback. Details:
Could not get VideoWindow interface from DVD graph.
ErrCode=080004002"

Any ideas?
Old 05-18-2004, 08:02 AM

what DVD decoder are you using?
Old 05-18-2004, 04:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by SHS
what DVD decoder are you using?
I have it set to Default. It is the only one in the list.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:51 PM
Sage Icon

I just played my DVD rips with DeCSS removed and they do play with any MPEG decoder. I still use Sonic as I prefer it to others, but DVD Shrink does seem to remove DeCSS correctly.

Jettman,
did you removeDeCSS when you ripped the DVD? If not then you need to have a mpeg decoder pack that can hanlde the encryption, like Sonic, nDVD or one of many others.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by lovingHDTV
I just played my DVD rips with DeCSS removed and they do play with any MPEG decoder. I still use Sonic as I prefer it to others, but DVD Shrink does seem to remove DeCSS correctly.

Jettman,
did you removeDeCSS when you ripped the DVD? If not then you need to have a mpeg decoder pack that can hanlde the encryption, like Sonic, nDVD or one of many others.
I used DVD Decrypter for the DVD rip.
I have now installed WinDVD 5. I have InterVideo Video Decoder Selected for the MPEG2 video decoder and for the DVD Video Decoder Filter. Still get that same error when using the SageTV Client. Works fine though on the Server SageTV machine.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:34 PM
Sage Icon

I had similar results when I used DVD Decrypter. Works on the server does not work on the client. I changed to DVD Shrink and it works everytime. I don't understand the difference, but did find it works.

When you use DVD Shrink, make sure you tell it not to compress the resulting file, or it will reduce the quality.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I had similar results when I used DVD Decrypter. Works on the server does not work on the client. I changed to DVD Shrink and it works everytime. I don't understand the difference, but did find it works.

When you use DVD Shrink, make sure you tell it not to compress the resulting file, or it will reduce the quality.
Ok. I tried DVD shink. I can get it to play on my Server but I still get the same error on the client. Any other ideas? Maybe I need to get what all your settings are for the SageTV Client.
Old 05-19-2004, 02:22 AM

Quote:
I have now installed WinDVD 5. I have InterVideo Video Decoder Selected for the MPEG2 video decoder and for the DVD Video Decoder Filter. Still get that same error when using the SageTV Client. Works fine though on the Server SageTV machine.
Just to be safe you did install WinDVD on the Client too. And you also changed these settings on your Client app. Sorry to ask but often people forget that the client is a seperate application from SageTV and needs it's own decoders/settings as well.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:03 AM
Sage Advanced User

Yes I did install WinDVD5 on the client machine. Not sure what the next step should be.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:41 AM
Sage Icon

Jettman,
I only use the client as well. Here are some things to remember.

1. When setting up directories to be added to the media library you have to set them as if you were on the server, even when adding them from the client gui. I use unc paths like \\htpc\movies, and ensure that on the machine htpc that the directory dvds is shared.

2. You have to have the codecs installed on the client to view on the client. I see you got that one already.

3. The ripped DVDs have to be in a directory VIDEO_TS, I have the AUDIO_TS directory also, but it is empty.

4. My directory structure looks like this: c:\movies\<genre>\<movie name>\VIDEO_TS on the machine htpc. This machine is also my Sage client.

5. The ripped DVDS do not have to reside on the server, in my case they are on the client and the server accesses them via the unc path \\htpc\dvds. They show up in the media file list as: <genre>\<movie name>\VIDEO_TS.

When I rip them with DVD Shrink, I select 're-authoer', add the main movies, turn off compression, and tell DVD Shrink to create the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS directoris, and remove DeCSS. I also remove the VOB splitting as I don't care if it is larger than 4.7GB.

After ripping the movie, I have play it with my Sonic Decoders, Elecard, and FFDSHOW. I have not tried the default Intervideo decoders as I never installed them on my client.

Hope this helps,

Last edited by lovingHDTV; 05-19-2004 at 06:44 AM.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:30 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Jettman,
I only use the client as well. Here are some things to remember.

1. When setting up directories to be added to the media library you have to set them as if you were on the server, even when adding them from the client gui. I use unc paths like \\htpc\movies, and ensure that on the machine htpc that the directory dvds is shared.

2. You have to have the codecs installed on the client to view on the client. I see you got that one already.

3. The ripped DVDs have to be in a directory VIDEO_TS, I have the AUDIO_TS directory also, but it is empty.

4. My directory structure looks like this: c:\movies\<genre>\<movie name>\VIDEO_TS on the machine htpc. This machine is also my Sage client.

5. The ripped DVDS do not have to reside on the server, in my case they are on the client and the server accesses them via the unc path \\htpc\dvds. They show up in the media file list as: <genre>\<movie name>\VIDEO_TS.

When I rip them with DVD Shrink, I select 're-authoer', add the main movies, turn off compression, and tell DVD Shrink to create the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS directoris, and remove DeCSS. I also remove the VOB splitting as I don't care if it is larger than 4.7GB.

After ripping the movie, I have play it with my Sonic Decoders, Elecard, and FFDSHOW. I have not tried the default Intervideo decoders as I never installed them on my client.

Hope this helps,
I ripped the movie with the settings on DVD shrink like you said. Still get the same error. As far as the directories go, all of the movies are on my servers D drive in a directory called Movies. Each movie is in its own directory i.e. LOTR Two Towers would be in D:\Movies\Two_Towers\VIDEO_TS.

So from my Client it shows that Two Towers is in D:\Movies\Two_Towers\VIDEO_TS.

Is it possible it is the Intervideo Decoders that are the problem? Even though the same movie plays fine with Intervideo Decoders on the Server?
Old 05-19-2004, 08:49 AM
SageTVaholic

I think you want to use the unc path like lovingHDTV said. So on your server define the path as \\Servername\Movies. This should work so your client can play the ripped DVDs. And make sure that directory (or drive) is shared.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:55 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by gplasky
I think you want to use the unc path like lovingHDTV said. So on your server define the path as \\Servername\Movies. This should work so your client can play the ripped DVDs. And make sure that directory (or drive) is shared.

Gerry
I will give that a try when I get home. I still think it is very wierd that I can play the ripped DVD on the Client only if I have the DVD decoder set to default. That is why I don't think it is a path issue. I will try it out though.
Old 05-19-2004, 05:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

The UNC path was the key. I tried it with the same movie using DVD Decrypter and with DVD shrink. They both work. Definately something that will need to be documented.
Thanks for all you guy's help.
Old 05-19-2004, 05:20 PM
Sage Icon

Good, glad to here you have it working.

I did get DVD Decrypter to work, if I ripped in file mode and ripped the entire DVD. If I tried to just rip the main movie, then I could not get it to play.