SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Sage Fanatic

SageTV 7 metadata embedded into recordings

I just upgraded from V6.2 to V7 and my upgrade went Super Fast which was very nice.

I remember reading that SageTV 7 will embed the metadata into the recordings data files themselfs.

Since my upgrade went to fast, I cannot imagine it updated all 8TB of disk recordings so quickly. So my question is, is this normal? How can I tell if the process was done?

Most of my recordings are from my HDPVR .ts files.

Last edited by joe123; 12-02-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:41 AM
SageTVaholic

I believe that only new recordings get the imbedded metadata - but I could be wrong.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:38 AM
Sage Fanatic

Ok thanks.

Anyone knows if SageTV 7 has an option to go through existing recordings and update the recordings metadata using the data from the existing wiz.bin file?
Old 12-03-2010, 12:15 PM
SageTVaholic

I believe it converts old ones, but it might do it in the background, and not all at startup.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:42 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
I believe it converts old ones, but it might do it in the background, and not all at startup.
I've been keeping an eye on my setup since I upgrade to SageTV 7 and I don't think this is the case.

I have 8TB of recordings and SageTV has been pretty much idle when there are no recordings under way.

Anyone knows what the option is to tell SageTV 7 to embed metadata into existing recordings from win.biz file?
Old 12-04-2010, 02:12 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm not sure what you're expectations are but the metatdata is just text from certain fields added to the end of the file. 8 TB of data or not it shouldn't take long. And it will not modify or change any date stamp on your existing files. Here's the pertinent notes that describe a little more about this.

Quote:
34. When importing a new video MediaFile the following metadata fields are now also used to populate the Airing/Show objects: ExternalID, EpisodeName, OriginalAirDate, ExtendedRatings, PartNumber, TotalParts, Misc, HDTV, CC, Stereo, Subtitled, SeasonPremiere, SeriesPremiere, ChannelPremiere, SeasonFinale, SeriesFinale, SAP, ParentalRating,
40. Metadata for completed recordings is now embedded in the MPEG file when the recording is done. This can be disabled by setting the property: "seeker/mpeg_metadata_embedding=false"
41. All recordings are automatically embedded with metadata if the property "seeker/mpeg_metadata_embedding" is not defined at all in the Sage.properties file; so on the first run of V7 it will embed metadata in all of your recordings; the property is then set to true automatically.
48. Added metadata fields so that the complete information about a TV recording can be specified in its imported metadata. Boolean fields should use 'true' to indicate the flag should be set. New fields are: PartNumber, TotalParts, HDTV, CC, Stereo, Subtitled, Premiere, SeasonPremiere, SeriesPremiere, ChannelPremiere, SeasonFinale, SeriesFinale, SAP, EpisodeName, ExtendedRatings (, or ; delmited), OriginalAirDate (long value), ExternalID and Misc (, or ; delimited)
As stated above the embedding of the metadata happens automatically even if the setting is NOT defined in the .properties file. The only way I can think of testing it is to define a new recording directory in Sage and move one of the older existing files out of the current recording directory, refresh Sage so that it knows that it is gone and then place it in the newly defined recording folder and refresh. It should pick it up with all of its metatdata.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:17 PM
Sage Fanatic

Thanks Gerry. It does look like all my recordings (existing recordings) were updated when I went to SageTV 7.

The upgrade process went so fast that it took me by surprise (in a nice way). I remember when I upgraded to 6 that it took a while having to go through my recordings. Forget what it did, but on that time it took forever to convert.

So far, SageTV 7 looks very nice - inside and out.

Last edited by joe123; 12-04-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Glad I was wrong.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:02 PM
Sage Icon

Is there any way to remove the embedded meta data after it's added? My defrag program doesn't want to move this data for some reason, at least on some files.
Server #1= AMD A10-5800, 8G RAM, F2A85-M PRO, 12TB, HDHomerun Prime, HDHR, Colossus (Playback - HD-200)
Server #2= AMD X2 3800+, 2G RAM, M2NPV-VM, 2TB, 3x HDHR OTA (Playback - HD-200)