SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:32 PM
SageTVaholic

recommendations for a Windows 7 PCI USB card

OK, I've finally gone insane trying to make the HD PVR stable.
Fresh W7 install with Sage 7 (fresh as well).

Still - stutter, crash, murder death kill.

Can people who have successfully implemented a PCI USB solution (that actually fixed this problem) chime in on what card you bought and if your happy with it, as today is judgement day for the HD PVR

thanks

My MB is a Gigabyte AMD 785 chipset - which many people use with no worries. Sadly, that's not the case here

Last edited by tvmaster2; 11-22-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:49 PM
SageTVaholic

In other posts I've seen - a NEC based controller is recommended. I'm going to try this one when I get the time.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

I hate to beat the dead horse but can you review where you stand ie, OS, patch level, system 32/64, ram, sagetv version, driver version for HD-PVR, what/how you have it connected ie composite, toslink?

For me its:
sage version 7.0.23
windows 7 64bit
8gb ram
i have to HD-PVRs connected via composite out and rca audio out of verizon FIOS HD STB to hd-pvr 1.057 drivers.

I do have a USB PCI card installed, and its a Belkin 4 port I believe, but its using the drivers from Windows 7 and I have both pvr's plugged into that and only those 2 things.

I'm wondering if those people that are over-heating these boxes are you using optical audio, as I have also used composite video, but only stereo for my audio and never had these issues.
CLIENTS: 2 x HD200s, 2 x HD300
Old 11-22-2010, 03:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsupergeek View Post
I'm wondering if those people that are over-heating these boxes are you using optical audio, as I have also used composite video, but only stereo for my audio and never had these issues.
It wasn't an overheat for me and stereo audio is NOT an option for me. Got to have my 5.1 sound! Before the 5.1 drivers came out I used Stereo and NEVER had a problem. It was only after I switched to 5.1 and started re-recording everything over again (as well as new stuff) that I had a problem.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

so is that it then -- optical out and 5.1 sound is killing the HD-PVR? consensus people? does anyone have a stable, rock solid system with 5.1? and that means now timer rebooting tricks and yadda. I use stereo out and no issues for months and that is without timered reboots.
CLIENTS: 2 x HD200s, 2 x HD300
Old 11-22-2010, 04:47 PM
SageTVaholic

It depends on what you consider rock stable. Insofar as the HDPVR itself is concerned I have no issues. My only problem is that every once in a while the Scientific Atlanta STB that is connected to my HDPVR decides to start sending out stereo PCM instead of the AC3 from each channel. Cox Cable recently updated the firmware with a new guide and stuff so I'm hoping that problem may have gone away. Only time will tell but it's been fine ever since.

I'm running a C2 rev HDPVR using the latest 1.5.7.0 drivers. It's connected to an NEC based PCI to USB adapter. My Scientific Atlanta STB is outputting AC3(Dolby Digital) via optical to my HDPVR.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have been rock solid for over a year capturing 5.1 and using the supplied blaster. Capturing off Motorolla DCH 6200 and tested on DCH 6416 with no issues. Rev E1 HDPVR using latest drivers/firmware and installed in its own location ie not on top of cable box or receiver as heat kills. I do not have anything hooked up in the pass thru connections on the HDPVR.

I also have a very strong cable signal coming in. It is my belief that the HDPVR does not handle a poor signal quality well. So if one were getting alot of macroblocking on the STB itself, the capturing of 5.1 may induce lock-ups...just my guess. I'm running SageMC and a while back Sage added HDPVR magic in the properties file. I ran into some stablity issues with that and it is my guess thats why they added it to make try to make the HDPVR handle these errors better. I did adjust the properties file to HDPVR Magic=false and for me this cleared it up...but I did not have 5.1 capture issues before this. Also noting that I have my STB at 1080i.

Running a dedicated 24/7 server no standby settings, I wanted to make sure I had a decent powersupply in it as the long term goal is to add to the server (drives/tuners). Not the most green friendly but I offset the cost by installing CFL/LED lighting which more than made up the cost.

I also started on a new install in which MB , bios, sound, video drivers where updated. Getting only critical updates (never get drivers from windows update). Installed and updated java and I did install Shark's 007 codec pack. Installed all the contents on the HDPVR disk and allowed it to updated. Using TMT software I made sure that spdif was enabled and perhaps adjusted the video capture rate to higher than default. Of course I set up the blaster at this time. I tested with a capture with TMT software and noticed it was a little jerky during the live capture and playback was smooth and with 5.1. The jerky picture in the live capture using this software is normal. I then installed Sage. Long post but wanted to be as detailed as possible.

Server Specs:
OS - W7 64 bit
MB - Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L
Chip - 8400 Quad
PS - 650 Corsair
Drives - 2x 640 3x 1TB WD Black series
Video - 9800GT
Capture - HDPVR Rev E
Case - Cooler Master 932 Case

Last edited by ccsmoke; 11-22-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsupergeek View Post
so is that it then -- optical out and 5.1 sound is killing the HD-PVR? consensus people? does anyone have a stable, rock solid system with 5.1? and that means now timer rebooting tricks and yadda. I use stereo out and no issues for months and that is without timered reboots.
I believe is a combination of factors. 5.1 maybe the largest problem but I don't think it is the only one. Have a better USB connection or at least separating them between hubs in Windows may also help. That is what I am trying next. Also locking the STB in a one resolution may help. I did that but everytime I get a software update on the DirectTV STB I have to do it again. Will try that again as well. Also will be removing the HVR-2250 and replacing it with a HDHR may help me as well - at least I'm going to try it. Those are what I am planing on now. Just have to get time to do it. Hope to start after the holiday.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:53 PM
SageTVaholic

I have two HD-PVRs one is using optical audio and the other analog. Both are very stable I won't say ey never crash but I would put the frequency around once per quarter. I am using 1.0.57 drivers (I think) and the mobo USBs of my Dell Optiplex PC running XP pro. I will soon be upgrading the server to Win7 with new hardware as is is an old single core box that was only supposed to be a temporary solution and it has now been about 5 months.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post

I'm running a C2 rev HDPVR using the latest 1.5.7.0 drivers. It's connected to an NEC based PCI to USB adapter. My Scientific Atlanta STB is outputting AC3(Dolby Digital) via optical to my HDPVR.
sorry - what brand and model is your PCI USB adapter?
Old 11-27-2010, 11:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
sorry - what brand and model is your PCI USB adapter?
I really don't know. It was a FW/USB combo card I snagged from work.