SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
Don’t forget the network switch that you will need to split that one CAT5 cable to the two different devices...

Seriously though, I too run the Play On plugin, but would be ecstatic if Sage could get native Netflix on demand support in the extender (hulu would rock to, but not nearly as important.) That said, one of these at $150 with a Roku sitting next to it for an additional $80 or so is still pretty competitive to any other solution in the market.

-Suntan
Nail meet head. I don't know if netflix is coming or not but it would have added to the cost and not what all users want.

But in the end just like with all things some people still won't be happy and complain about what it doesn't have compared to being happy with what it does and the simple fact no other htpc software pvr has a better or even close to better extender that also handles pvr function.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
But in the end just like with all things some people still won't be happy and complain about what it doesn't have compared to being happy with what it does and the simple fact no other htpc software pvr has a better or even close to better extender that also handles pvr function.
Don’t misconstrue my comments for dissatisfaction. I rushed to the Sage website to put in a perorder as soon as I noticed a thread heading with the word HD300 in it on another website.

My comments are what they are, the sage system would be even better with Netflix and other online content directly integrated into it, but that doesn’t mean to insinuate thatit is deficient as it is now. As I said, running an HD300 and a Roku side by side is still price competitive to anything else available. That isn’t a dig, that’s a compliment.

-Suntan
Old 08-31-2010, 02:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I don't know if netflix is coming or not but it would have added to the cost
I think any cost we might see would already be built in. It costs to acquire PlayReady DRM (done) and DRM playback is possible now on the HD300. There isn't a license fee to get Netflix - just requires getting "in the club" from what I've learned. I would love to see it added at some point, but without question the HD300 is worth the money as a HTPC extender as is.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I think any cost we might see would already be built in. It costs to acquire PlayReady DRM (done) and DRM playback is possible now on the HD300. There isn't a license fee to get Netflix - just requires getting "in the club" from what I've learned. I would love to see it added at some point, but without question the HD300 is worth the money as a HTPC extender as is.
+1. It's not a monetary cost, just a bureaucratic one, at least for Netflix. I am unaware of Hulu making it's service available to any device vendor, TV, media player, extender, etc... So I think the odds of that one happening is very low, but not because of technical reasons. They have an agreement with the MSO's not to allow their service to play back on non-PC devices, and with NBC being acquired by Comcast, I think the restrictions will get worse and not better.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:26 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnoboy View Post
I am unaware of Hulu making it's service available to any device vendor, TV, media player, extender, etc...
My Sony blu-ray player lists the "Hulu Plus" service as coming later this year.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncb View Post
My Sony blu-ray player lists the "Hulu Plus" service as coming later this year.
Yeah but that is the pay service not the free I see it opening up for the pay service to allot of streaming devices.

Suntan my comments were not directed at you sorry it did appear that way.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:50 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
In short, the HD300 has the right innards to allow for the DRM required by Netflix & other major streaming services.
I think the most interesting difference from the HD200 (which had the SMP8635) is that they opted for the SMP8654 Macrovision enabled chip intended for cable STB (and may support CableCARD).

Quote:
And SageTV has PlayReady license that is required also.
We only know that they have a PlayReady license. It might not be the right kind.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:01 PM
Sage Aficionado

Don't forget the addition of a universal remote as soon as you want to add a Roku box sitting next to a HD300. I'm sure anyone serious about sageTV already has a universal remote in their main system, but 2nd and 3rd systems will typically be a single HD300 and a TV.

However, a counterpoint to that is that PlayOn Netflix is sufficient for my spare rooms
Old 08-31-2010, 03:07 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
some people still won't be happy and complain about what it doesn't have compared to being happy with what it does and the simple fact no other htpc software pvr has a better or even close to better extender that also handles pvr function.
Indeed, the extenders are great. They're the only reason I use SageTV. My main point is that the lack of integrated Netflix et all takes upgrading my HD100 from a "no brainer" to a "I'll have to think about it" kind of decision. That's the kind of feedback that I think SageTV would like to have.

Drew
Old 08-31-2010, 03:10 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post
I think the most interesting difference from the HD200 (which had the SMP8635) is that they opted for the SMP8654 Macrovision enabled chip intended for cable STB (and may support CableCARD).
But might this be setting up a situation where CableCard content is playable on one extender (300), but not on others (200 et al)?
Old 08-31-2010, 03:11 PM
Sage Aficionado

Clarification on Blu-Ray playback. Will the HD300 allow viewing of special features/bonus scenes instead of just the main movie that the HD200 allowed?

Also, will the HD200 ever support full disc Blu-Ray playback as mentioned above?

Thanks,
Chuck
Recording Drive's: 2 x WD WD4001FAEX (4 TB)
Tuner's: 2 x Ceton InfiniTV 4's
Clients: 3 x Nvidia Shield TV's; Spares: 2 x HD300's
SageTV v9.1.2.662 with OpenDCT v0.5.28
Java 1.8.0_111-b14 (32bit)
Old 08-31-2010, 03:14 PM
SageTVaholic

No, neither support BD-J menus (or any other BD menus for that matter). I personally wouldn't hold out a lot of hope for it, but you never know.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:16 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
No, neither support BD-J menus (or any other BD menus for that matter). I personally wouldn't hold out a lot of hope for it, but you never know.
stanger89,
I guessing that is an answer to my post above yours, so if it doesn't support BD menus or extra features in the native BD format, what would I be gaining by going from an HD200 to the HD300 in terms of BD playback?

Thanks,
Chuck
Old 08-31-2010, 03:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by crarbo1 View Post
stanger89,
I guessing that is an answer to my post above yours, so if it doesn't support BD menus or extra features in the native BD format, what would I be gaining by going from an HD200 to the HD300 in terms of BD playback?

Thanks,
Chuck
HD bitstreaming audio. That's about it. Any special features playback or adjustments to the way they handle BD file structure will probably be updated the same across the entire HDX00 line.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
stanger89,

Thanks,
Chuck
Yeah blu ray menu support does cost look at the dune to see how much. besides to ke that ruins the purpose of ripping mymovies. You can still select the special features with chapter select if you want.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:22 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoboy View Post
HD bitstreaming audio. That's about it. Any special features playback or adjustments to the way they handle BD file structure will probably be updated the same across the entire HDX00 line.
autoboy,
Thanks for the reply. So I wouldn't have to convert the audio in my BD ripping process. Do I have to only rip the main movie like before, or can I rip the BD in the complete BD structure and the HD300 play only the main movie?

Thanks,
Chuck
Old 08-31-2010, 03:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Yeah blu ray menu support does cost look at the dune to see how much. besides to ke that ruins the purpose of ripping mymovies. You can still select the special features with chapter select if you want.
PLUCKYHD,
Thanks for the feedback but I'm not sure what your meaning. At least about selecting special features with chapter select.

Thanks,
Chuck
Old 08-31-2010, 03:33 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt91 View Post
But might this be setting up a situation where CableCard content is playable on one extender (300), but not on others (200 et al)?
Yes, for non-copy freely content I would expect that to be the case. It will probably also be true for services like Netflix.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:35 PM
Sage Aficionado

The BD file structure uses playlists to determine what should be played. If you rip the entire movie including special features and menus, you will be able to select from the playlists that are available which would allow you to play special features, but you really wouldn't know which one you are picking since they are named by number and not a descriptive name.

This feature was added primarily because the HD-X00 by defualt always pick the longest playlist, assuming it is the main movie. In some cases, it isn't the main movie and main contain something like the director's commentary. By allowing people to select from the playlists, we are able to pick the main movie. The same could be used to play the special features.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
PLUCKYHD,
Thanks for the feedback but I'm not sure what your meaning. At least about selecting special features with chapter select.

Thanks,
Chuck
Since a couple of betas ago you can hit options and select chapters from a native blu ray rip. So you can access extra features granted Bdlive features are still a no go.