SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 05-01-2004, 05:33 PM
Sage Fanatic

W/PVR250 in client can client remote control server?

I've looked around and didn't find the answer so I'll ask. I've settled on the ATI Radeon 9600 for my client output (HDTV so not going to use a 350 and didn't go 9600XT because I wanted a fanless video card in the client for noise considerations). I was going to do as suggested and get a good programable remote and teach it wireless kb but just had an idea. Since I believe the Server can use a 250 from anywhere on the network could a 250 be in the client and use it's remote to control the server through the client for record/playback etc.? Also if I understand correctly the 250 in the client could be used by the server with data stored on the server, is this correct?

It would of course mean that I'd have a tuner in a non redundant power supply and hd box but I could live with that. It'd just be the 4th least used tuner (unless it turns out to be a 5th or 6th down the road...:-)

Impatiently waiting for a PILE of ordered parts to arrive, about everything but a programable remote with logical markings!
Old 05-01-2004, 05:44 PM
Sage Icon

Re: W/PVR250 in client can client remote control server?

I answered your question in your other thread. In short, yes. You need to purchase the sage recorder as well, which will allow you to turn it into a network encoder for your server. Then you could use the card and remote to control your client access and not need to buy any additional hardware.

sage recorder= 19.95
usbuirt=50.00 and additional headache.

dont get me wrong, usbuirt is great..I use it to control my satellite box, but if I didnt need it, I wouldnt have bought it.

I.

edit:

Ill expect my 50cent sales commission in the mail shortly Jeff

Quote:
Originally posted by mdmint
I've looked around and didn't find the answer so I'll ask. I've settled on the ATI Radeon 9600 for my client output (HDTV so not going to use a 350 and didn't go 9600XT because I wanted a fanless video card in the client for noise considerations). I was going to do as suggested and get a good programable remote and teach it wireless kb but just had an idea. Since I believe the Server can use a 250 from anywhere on the network could a 250 be in the client and use it's remote to control the server through the client for record/playback etc.? Also if I understand correctly the 250 in the client could be used by the server with data stored on the server, is this correct?

It would of course mean that I'd have a tuner in a non redundant power supply and hd box but I could live with that. It'd just be the 4th least used tuner (unless it turns out to be a 5th or 6th down the road...:-)

Impatiently waiting for a PILE of ordered parts to arrive, about everything but a programable remote with logical markings!

My sage rigs:
Server - Windows 2003, Intel 865 PERLL w/ P4 3.2g 1gb ram, 3-PVR250, 3-PVRUSB's, 1 Skystar2, 1 twinhan 102g, 1 starbox DVB-S Cards. Evo network QAM encoder. 1.2TB storage 6.x server + MTSAGE for DVB
Client 1/Master BR - MediaMVP running a 30" Olevia LCD TV.
Client 2/Front Room - Shuttle ST61G4 XPC 1gig ram, 60gb HD, BTC9019 wireless keyboard/mouse & Harmony 880. 6.x client. GF6600GT driving a Sony WEGA 55" rear projection tv.
Old 05-01-2004, 05:54 PM
Sage Fanatic

I guess I'm missing something or you misunderstood my questions and or I still don't get it!

Okay, if a client machine has a 250 the remote for the client will talk to the server, correct? But the server machine running SageTV can't use the 250 in the client to record, correct? Add Sage Recorder and the client can record. But record to where and in what manner, only using the Sage Recorder or can the client's 250 then be used by the Server to record with the SageTV and store on the server's hd subsystem? If only I had it all here to play with!
Old 05-01-2004, 06:07 PM
Sage Icon

yes yes yes

machine A:
sagetv server and how many encoder cards you want

machine B:
sageTV client and sage recorder (running in network encoder mode) using 1 PVR250

the client uses the pvr250 to control the sagetv client accessing the sagetv server. Sage recorder is just running in the background being controlled by the server to use the additional tuner in your client machine.

All data is being stored on your server (the network encoder streams to the server via mapped drive. It will then stream back to your client machine)

Understand? Good stuff, thanks to Jeff's hard work. Many people are running like this, including myself. Enjoy!

I.

Quote:
I guess I'm missing something or you misunderstood my questions and or I still don't get it!

Okay, if a client machine has a 250 the remote for the client will talk to the server, correct? But the server machine running SageTV can't use the 250 in the client to record, correct? Add Sage Recorder and the client can record. But record to where and in what manner, only using the Sage Recorder or can the client's 250 then be used by the Server to record with the SageTV and store on the server's hd subsystem? If only I had it all here to play with!

My sage rigs:
Server - Windows 2003, Intel 865 PERLL w/ P4 3.2g 1gb ram, 3-PVR250, 3-PVRUSB's, 1 Skystar2, 1 twinhan 102g, 1 starbox DVB-S Cards. Evo network QAM encoder. 1.2TB storage 6.x server + MTSAGE for DVB
Client 2/Front Room - Shuttle ST61G4 XPC 1gig ram, 60gb HD, BTC9019 wireless keyboard/mouse & Harmony 880. 6.x client. GF6600GT driving a Sony WEGA 55" rear projection tv.
Old 05-01-2004, 06:11 PM
Administrator

mdmint: your terminology about the remote on the client controlling the server is a little strange, so maybe this will clarify it: The remote on the client will control SageTVClient _only_. But, with the client, you can set up recordings, play videos, etc. -- you can pretty much do almost anything on the client that you could do on the server. So, you are not controlling the server with your remote, you are controlling the client... but that is all you need to control with the remote on that machine.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-01-2004, 06:34 PM
Sage Fanatic

Opus4, hey, I've been called worse than strange! So if it's finally sinking in: the client's machines remote control controls the SageTVClient software on the client machine which can control the SageTV software on the server for use but not setup functionality.

And per Insomniac add SageTVRecorder to the client machine with a PVR and the client machine's PVR then can be used by the Server to record and store on the server.

Belive it or not I did read the complete features spec's etc. on Sage site for all three softwares and this type of configuration information isn't there.

Thanks for the informative replies! Great forum!
Old 05-01-2004, 06:47 PM
Sage Icon

mdmint, you might want to review the instructions for setting up the network encoder if you haven't already. NetworkEncoderSetup
Old 05-01-2004, 07:18 PM
Sage Icon

You almost gave me a stroke, but glad I could help

I.

Quote:
Opus4, hey, I've been called worse than strange! So if it's finally sinking in: the client's machines remote control controls the SageTVClient software on the client machine which can control the SageTV software on the server for use but not setup functionality.

And per Insomniac add SageTVRecorder to the client machine with a PVR and the client machine's PVR then can be used by the Server to record and store on the server.

Belive it or not I did read the complete features spec's etc. on Sage site for all three softwares and this type of configuration information isn't there.

Thanks for the informative replies! Great forum!

My sage rigs:
Old 05-01-2004, 07:33 PM
Sage Fanatic

Thanks, I did run across and glanced them over previously somewhere I believe. Heck, I haven't even downloaded the software yet! (paid for but not downloaded) Not much point until hardware arrives. Then again, could be value in installing on another system just to familiarize with it...

Quote:
Originally posted by carlgar
mdmint, you might want to review the instructions for setting up the network encoder if you haven't already. NetworkEncoderSetup