SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 04-30-2004, 07:06 AM
Sage Advanced User

weird audio issue

I'm on day 2 of my trial with SageTV 1.4.1 and although most things have recorded fine, I've had two issues

on day 1, unattended recordings have no video. I have recorded other things since then and they have video/audio but when I go back to day 1's recordings, they still don't. As long as that's a thing of the past, I guess I'll live with it. I'm not into tweaking if it's not happening right now.

A second issue came up last night. I had Sage set to record a bunch of shows. One of the shows in the middle of the bunch has audio when I play it in win media player, but makes a HORRIBLE (freaks the cats out), like electronic static noise, when loading the file in sagetv and hauppage's Wintv2000 and will not unmute. The speaker has the X on it. I have played with it extensively, and my PC settings are correct, because I have other sounds.

Note:
--this same file does play in win media player, but of course, we prefer the sage UI. the problem is limited to this file's audio.
--The shows before and after it do not have this problem.

I"ve heard great things about sagetv, but I can't say that it's the clear winner in the PVR field, given my problems.

EDIT: How do I mark that show with a recording error so it's sure to record it in an upcoming airing? I can find that show in the library, but there's no field for marking the error.

Athlon 2500, 512MB, winxppro, pvr250, 8RDA+ (nforce2 motherboard)

Last edited by buzzerbee; 04-30-2004 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:58 AM
Sage Icon

what audio codec are you using? What are you using for audio output in sage?
Old 04-30-2004, 10:29 AM
Sage Advanced User

in detailed setup> audio --both are default.

today's recordings are ok as are others from last night, but that one is still not working (also from last night). tried rebooting too, no help

and the file itself is ok, because it plays in WMP.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:04 PM
Sage Aficionado

Are you running your audio from the computer to a receiver or amplifier? If so, I have some comments.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

no I'm using PC speakers. it's just a pc with a pvr250. nothing fancy.

why would it work on all the files except 1? and since that one works in another app, then it's not corrupt, right?
Old 05-01-2004, 03:31 AM
Sage Aficionado

Wrong answer

I use spdif to a koss receiver and get the horrible static (freaks me out) sporadically on playback that a ff/rw fixes. I think this is due to a dropped/out-of-sync clock signal and I have not found a solution. But this doesn't help you.

Way back when I was on 1.4, I had a lot of audio problems in recorded files. V2.x seems to have solved the problems. My recommendation is that you upgrade.
Old 05-02-2004, 04:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

I wish I could try 2.0. I'm still inthe first few days of my trial. Other that this one issue, it's been pretty good.
Old 05-02-2004, 05:44 PM
SageTVaholic

try using reclock

http://ogo.nerim.net/reclockfilter/R...4.dist.bin.zip

if you believe it is sync issue
you can also try to delay the audio in milliseconds
try 5 or 10

Also look at your render and decoder

try using something other than default, it is rarely the best choice from my experience
Old 05-24-2004, 02:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

another question about this file.

I'd like to convert it to DVD so I can archive it. When I open it in TMPG DVD author, it tells me there is no audio file. When I open it in Ulead, the program hangs. Same for Blaze media pro.

I can play it, audio AND video, in windows media player but the video and audio are jerky at the beginning - if I go to the middle and play it, then go BACK to the beginning, they both become ok.

Does anyone have any hints on how to cut out the problem part, perhaps at the beginning and reset the audio file so DVD author can see it? Or is there any other way to make it a compliant DVD? The file was created in sage 1.4 but also plays the same way as in the original post in version 2.0

Other files recorded at the same timeframe in v1.4 and the files I've been recording in v2.0 do not have these problems.

Thanks

Last edited by buzzerbee; 05-24-2004 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-24-2004, 03:02 PM
SageTVaholic

When playing in WMP, go to File->Properties, what codec is WMP using for audio?

The other thing to try is Womble MPEG VCR and/or VideoRedo, both of which can chop MPEGs easily, and I know womble has some MPEG fixing functions.

Sounds like you just got a bad file, possibly the network/cable sent a bad signal at the beginning that the 250 just didn't like.
Old 05-24-2004, 05:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

it's using the ulead decoder for audio and video.
i know it's probably a bad file, but I would like to save it if I can

I've heard of videoredo and womble, but didn't really want to register just to try them out
Old 05-24-2004, 08:32 PM
SageTVaholic

well that is your problem that ulead is your system's default decoder
you can change it so the playback is good in media player
but furthermore you need to change the audio decoder for both DVD and video and audio
default is not always a good solution I keep saying
what other choices do you have
for video rendering choose overlay and turn off 3d acceleration
for video decoding choose something like intervideo (or hauppauge intervideo), cyberlink (or the ATI one), sonic cinemaster, elecard etc...
for audio render I like default wave out, but deafult direct sound works as well
for audio decoder choose something like above
do the same for DVD if you use sage for it

now to change the system's default decoder
either uninstall ulead or use the radlight filter manager to change the preference of the decoders
make the one you like the most to the highest preference
they are all in the direct show filter section

have you installed any third DVD programs
or do you just have the one that came with the pvr card?

though programs you listed are editors and have nothing to do with decoding
if there is a decoder included in it I would certainly not use it for viewing anything in sage or media player

if you have a hard time with radlight just pm me and I can help you with a messenger program like msmessenger, aol, etc....
Old 05-24-2004, 09:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

thanks but I think the problem is not the decoder. the file is corrupt and has been from day 1. ALL my other sage 1.4 and 2.0 files and DVDs are ok. Yes, perhaps a better decoder might be better, but I burn them all to DVD so I'm not too concerned with whether I have a high or low quality decoder. Just so long as it works and I can see my files before I burn them.

I only installed ulead a few days ago anyway. before that, it was the intervideo decoder from the PVR250 card.
In the meantime tonight, I've spent hours on it. What's working so far is de-muxing it and now I have working audio and video files.

I have to resync them. no easy task.

I will look at your other suggestions too this weekend.

thanks again
Old 05-24-2004, 09:56 PM
SageTVaholic

oh sorry I thought you were having issues with playback of the file
not editing issues
VideoReDo is shareware and easy to use
does an awesome job as well
womble products I like as well

but if you do not want every file played in media player to use the Ulead decoder then you need to adjust it like I said

good luck and give them a try (it's free)