SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 04-29-2004, 08:26 PM
Sage User

Access to program guide without broadband connection?

How can a SageTV user get electronic program guide updates via a dial-up connection using a normal ISP? How often do the updates occur?

Thanks for any guidance.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

There is an "Autodial If Needed for Internet" setting in the new version of sage. (2.0)

I'm on broadband but this sound to me like it should be able to get guide info via a dial up without a problem.

Guide updates seem to be occuring about once per day at this point. For me around 11:30pm.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:12 PM
Sage Icon

I use a dial-up connection for downloading the EPG data with no problem. Only the first download will take a long time. After that it probably only downloads a day at a time. The EPG update occurs 1st every 24 hours unless you force one. If the internet is not available, it will keep trying until the internet is available. The "autodial if needed for Internet" is also available in the 1.4 release, but did not seem to do anything for me. I would not expect any problems if you connect to the internet at least once every 3 or 4 days.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:19 AM
Sage User

Thanks to both of you for your excellent replies. I have been using SageTV with a couple Clients for a while now, but recently recommended Sage to a good friend who purchased the software and PVR-350 bundle at my recommendation. Since he does not have a broadband connection and uses dial-up, I was concerned that he may take long periods of time to download the program guide or that he may need to install version 2.0 beta (which I had mixed experienced with) in order to get it at all.

I found the checkbox in version 1.4 "Detailed Setup" to autoconnect, and will be sure to help him configure it correctly.

Thanks again,

Larry